General science thread

July 10th, 2023 at 1:28:15 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Looks like history of humans is “woke”. Read it and weep, unwoke losers.

Quote:
Wall-Scheffler and her collaborators combed through accounts from as far back as the 1800s through to present day. And rather than relying on summaries of those accounts – as scientists often do when analyzing large numbers of them – Wall-Scheffler notes "our goal was to go back to the original ethnographic reports of those populations and see what had actually been written about the hunting strategies."

Their findings — published in the journal PLOS One this week — is that in 79% of the societies for which there is data, women were hunting.
Moreover, says Wall-Scheffler, this wasn't just opportunistic killing of animals that the women happened upon. The vast majority of the time, she says, "the hunting was purposeful. Women had their own toolkit. They had favorite weapons. Grandmas were the best hunters of the village."

Quote:
I think that next to the myth that God made a woman from man's rib to be his helper, the myth that man is the hunter and woman is the gatherer is probably the second most enduring myth that naturalizes the inferiority of women," says Hamlin.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 10th, 2023 at 1:35:21 PM permalink
rxwine
(I don’t really know what woke encompasses for sure in the minds of people using it, but I’m gonna throw the term around for sport as it seems to upset some people)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 10th, 2023 at 2:06:56 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: rxwine
Looks like history of humans is “woke”. Read it and weep, unwoke losers.
well, if so about women hunters, then game and fish in the various states should redouble their efforts to recruit new women hunters [which they have been doing]

a particular trend may then reverse,
Quote:
A new survey records a recent decline in hunting approval among America’s youth, minorities, and suburbanites

https://www.outdoorlife.com/hunting/hunting-approval-survey-2023/?utm_term=ODL%20-%20070623&utm_campaign=Outdoor%20Life_Newsletter&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 10th, 2023 at 6:27:57 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: odiousgambit
well, if so about women hunters, then game and fish in the various states should redouble their efforts to recruit new women hunters [which they have been doing]

a particular trend may then reverse,

https://www.outdoorlife.com/hunting/hunting-approval-survey-2023/?utm_term=ODL%20-%20070623&utm_campaign=Outdoor%20Life_Newsletter&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email

I guess all the anthropologist's that lived with remote tribes in the 1800's and early 1900's were just lying in their accounts that the men did the hunting.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
July 11th, 2023 at 5:13:36 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: kenarman

I guess all the anthropologist's that lived with remote tribes in the 1800's and early 1900's were just lying in their accounts that the men did the hunting.
I have to admit it occurred to me that the woman heading things here had a hidden agenda that influenced the research

we seem to live in an era where science is controversy

on hidden agenda, I watched a video below where Bill Maher and Bob Costas puzzle over why 'Atlantic' magazine would have published an article claiming that men are not stronger, bigger, taller etc. athletes but that women athletes are repressed in their interests and just don't get as good, etc., and actually male and female athletes are equal in ability... if we would quit discouraging the latter to reach full potential we would see that it is true [this is claimed according to these two, haven't read the article myself] They are absolutely stumped, these two, as to why such an idiotic article was in the magazine

3 months ago! Shame on these two for being so stupid! The obvious hidden agenda is, the person(s) writing that article in the Atlantic magazine want to establish this stupid idea that women and men can compete equally in sports is so that it is OK for trans-women to also compete in women's sports. Come on, you two! Gotta be! [perhaps they did realize this and the editing is to blame]

July 11th, 2023 at 5:20:30 AM permalink
odiousgambit
they show november 2008 issue but I pulled it up and haven't found that article

edit: there is a transgender article, by Hannah Rosin, which is behind a paywall. If that is the article, and I doubt it, then Mahrer and Costas just didn't want to say so
July 17th, 2023 at 10:08:38 AM permalink
rxwine
The tiny blue dot (insert) represents how far our radio transmissions have traveled out in our galaxy so far.

July 17th, 2023 at 10:23:55 AM permalink
odiousgambit
somebody forgot it should be spherical, or since we think of the galaxy as 2 dimensional here, a circle? oh, wait, I just read what you wrote.
July 24th, 2023 at 2:03:01 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
The neuroscientist had a hunch that whichever brain area was undergoing unusual activity in the patient due to his epilepsy could also play a part in this altered state of consciousness.
Since that meeting, Parvizi and his team have tracked down a part of the brain that may be involved in out-of-body experiences. The culprit is a small sliver of tissue, buried deep within the fold running down the top of the brain, called the anterior precuneus.

During the study, stimulating this area with electricity resulted in unusual sensations in eight volunteers with epilepsy. (The patients already had electrodes inserted into their brains to help with monitoring before unrelated brain surgeries.) When scientists sent electric pulses to this chunk of the brain, the volunteers did not have true out-of-body experiences, but felt like they were floating or falling. They also expressed feeling dizzy, dissociated and less focused.

“All of them reported something weird happening to their sense of physical self,” Parvizi tells Bruce Goldman of Scope, Stanford Medicine’s blog. “In fact, three of them reported a clear sense of depersonalization, similar to taking psychedelics.”

In this way, the anterior precuneus is likely the seat of a person’s physical sense of self, or the idea that experiences are happening to you, not to someone else. Disrupting this network in your brain could shift your point of view, making your place in the world seem unreal, the team found.
July 29th, 2023 at 3:58:01 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
'Paralyzed NY man can move and feel again — thanks to AI ‘miracle’ surgery'

He became a quadriplegic after diving into a pool.