General science thread

Page 42 of 44« First<394041424344>
August 19th, 2023 at 5:00:08 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
A person can override the desire using their will.

-------------------

Barack Obama’s brother Malik Obama allegedly calls him “gay” on X

8/16/2023
Malik Obama allegedly states, “This man is definitely gay.”
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/barack-obama-s-brother-malik-obama-allegedly-calls-him-gay-on-x/ar-AA1flBum

--------------------

Obama revealed he thought about 'making love to men daily' in unearthed letter

13 August 2023
You see, I make love to men daily, but in the imagination.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/celebrity/obama-revealed-he-thought-about-making-love-to-men-daily-in-unearthed-letter/ar-AA1fdxXQ

------------------
August 20th, 2023 at 7:33:19 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
A new study suggests per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances, known as forever chemicals or PFAS, reduce the activity of human immune cells.

PFAS accumulate in soils and bodies of water. They can enter the human body via food, drinking water, or the air. PFAS can be detected in the blood of almost everyone in the world.

Quote:
PFAS are “water-, stain-, and grease-resistant” and “toxic at extremely low levels (i.e. parts per quadrillion),” according to the National Resources Defense Council.

Quote:
PFAS were invented in the 1930s, proliferated over the next two decades, and have been linked to “high levels of serum cholesterol, thyroid dysregulation, gestational hypertension, ulcerative colitis, and some cancers.”

Researchers from the Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research in Leipzig, Germany, showed PFAS can impair health by reducing immune activity.

Anything nicknamed "a forever" chemical is probably a bad sign.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 9th, 2023 at 5:16:16 AM permalink
rxwine
Just like the combustion engine, over time, you can refine and improve all aspects of a product from beginning to end.

Quote:
Binesh Puthen Veettil of Macquarie University and colleagues devised a cheaper, less energy-intense way to both make and recycle solar panels. The team bought a kitchen microwave and added heat-proofing so it could handle very high temperatures. Microwave radiation selectively heats silicon, leaving the rest of the panel of glass, plastic and aluminum largely unaffected.

As an added bonus, microwaving also softened the plastic, making it easier to peel off, and freeing the solar cell and glass for recycling. The plastic coating is designed to protect the panel from moisture, but is difficult to remove. “Until now it made economic sense to just dump the panels in the landfill,” said Veettil in a press release. “In the rare instances when they are recycled, you crush the panels, heat them to about 1400°C and wash them with chemicals to remove the plastic—a highly energy-demanding process.”

The researchers have a patent pending for the microwave-based recycling process. They are now working on further improvements with plans to commercialize it.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 10th, 2023 at 4:08:43 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Interesting. In progress it seems, as far as what they might find out

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
September 10th, 2023 at 6:03:42 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
By targeting the USAG-1 gene, researchers believe that they can help people without a full set of teeth regrow teeth.
The team says that humans have a third set of teeth available as buds, ready to grow as needed

Filing that under weird stuff you don't expect to discover.
September 11th, 2023 at 5:53:01 AM permalink
rxwine
Bites from the "Lone Star" Tick causing allergies to red meat. Red meat allergy is uncurable. Tick found as far North as Canada. But still mostly in South East US.

Quote:
Anywhere from 96,000 to as many as 450,000 people in the U.S. may have developed an allergy to red meat following the bite of a tick, according to recent data published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Quote:
It’s still not clear to scientists why a bite from a tick could cause a person to develop an allergy to red meat, or why some people who are bitten develop the allergy and others don’t.

There’s also an intriguing difference between the alpha-gal red meat allergy and every other type of food allergy. Typically, allergic reactions to food occur immediately after exposure, within a few minutes. With an alpha-gal allergy, however, a reaction typically doesn’t start until several hours after eating red meat—which can make it challenging to pinpoint the culprit.

And different people who do develop the allergy can have widely varying levels of sensitivity. Some may react only to mammalian meat (such as pork, beef, rabbit, lamb, venison, and more), while others may have reactions to cow’s milk (in which the alpha-gal molecule is also present), products made with milk, gelatin, or certain medications or vaccines made with gelatin or other animal ingredients.

What to Watch For
Early signs of anaphylaxis may include a metallic taste, burning, tingling, or itching of the tongue or mouth, headache, and feelings of fear or confusion. A reaction can progress quickly, and severe symptoms include throat swelling, difficulty breathing, vomiting, diarrhea, and more.

https://www.consumerreports.org/health/insect-repellent/how-a-tick-bite-can-give-you-a-red-meat-allergy-a7027084573/?EXTKEY=NH39HTHN1&utm_source=acxiom&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20230910_nsltr_health&utm_nsltr=health&utm_segment=nlonly
September 11th, 2023 at 6:29:06 PM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
Quote: rxwine
Filing that under weird stuff you don't expect to discover.

Does targeting the gene cause a whole new set of teeth to grow, like when we were kids, or can a dentist or geneticist or whoever just target the buds of missing teeth, replacing just the missing ones?
September 11th, 2023 at 7:21:35 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: GenoDRPh
Does targeting the gene cause a whole new set of teeth to grow, like when we were kids, or can a dentist or geneticist or whoever just target the buds of missing teeth, replacing just the missing ones?

I hadn't thought about whether they can target specific areas. I suppose that would be a localized injection because you couldn't control the effect to one area otherwise. Not sure what's possible.

I had one front incisor break off (on biting into a carrot no less) so short they just pulled it and I got a bridge. Would be nice if I could have just grown a new tooth. I imagine it would be quite useful to many people other than just those with all their teeth gone.
September 14th, 2023 at 12:46:41 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
life markers found on planet circling a red star

oddly, article did not bother to state how many light years away, about 127 , instead reporting how many trillions of miles

https://nypost.com/2023/09/14/nasas-new-telescopes-stunning-discovery-biggest-hint-of-alien-life-so-far/
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
September 14th, 2023 at 1:18:17 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: odiousgambit
life markers found on planet circling a red star

oddly, article did not bother to state how many light years away, about 127 , instead reporting how many trillions of miles

https://nypost.com/2023/09/14/nasas-new-telescopes-stunning-discovery-biggest-hint-of-alien-life-so-far/

I don't expect to see anything really different on another world than you might find here. Octopuses aren't really adapted for prolonged land travel. Cave dwelling life may be blind, and so forth. So most everything will be adapted to the kind of conditions that are appropriate. If there are equator type temps, you'll likely find animals adapted to that condition. Probably still get odd things like the platypus.

But then again...

(Suddenly had to look up octopi. Interesting, both are correct in plural form)
Page 42 of 44« First<394041424344>