General science thread

April 23rd, 2023 at 11:30:55 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
https://nypost.com/2023/04/23/northern-us-in-store-for-show-from-the-northern-lights/

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
May 9th, 2023 at 2:09:12 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
June 27th, 2023 at 9:10:06 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Could go in news, but putting it here.

Quote:

A university janitor who turned off a freezer after hearing multiple "annoying alarms," ruined more than 20 years of research, according to a lawsuit filed against his employer by Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in upstate New York.

The janitor, who is not being sued in the lawsuit, was a contractor with Daigle Cleaning Systems Inc., who worked for several months in 2020 at the private research university in Troy, New York.

The school is seeking more than $1 million in damages and legal fees from Daigle Cleaning Systems as a result of the incident.

A warning was posted on the freezer, according to the court filing.

"THIS FREEZER IS BEEPING AS IT IS UNDER REPAIR. PLEASE DO NOT MOVE OR UNPLUG IT. NO CLEANING REQUIRED IN THIS AREA. YOU CAN PRESS THE ALARM/TEST MUTE BUTTON FOR 5-10 SECONDS IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO MUTE THE SOUND,
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 27th, 2023 at 11:33:58 AM permalink
odiousgambit
but was it in spanish too?
July 2nd, 2023 at 7:04:29 AM permalink
odiousgambit
July 7th, 2023 at 6:27:56 PM permalink
rxwine
LEDS, but still first time ever.

Quote:
e California Institute of Technology’s (Caltech) Space Solar Power Project (SSPP) launched a device called the Space Solar Power Demonstrator (SSPD-1), which carried an instrument known as the Microwave Array for Power-transfer Low-orbit Experiment (MAPLE) into space.

It was MAPLE that was ultimately responsible for wirelessly transmitting solar energy back to Earth, where it was received by two separate receiver arrays, which then lit up a pair of LEDs (light-emitting diodes), rendering the experiment a success.

“To the best of our knowledge, no one has ever demonstrated wireless energy transfer in space, even with expensive rigid structures,” co-director of the Space-Based Solar Power Project, Ali Hajimiri, said in a statement. “We are doing it with flexible, lightweight structures and with our own integrated circuits. This is a first.”

“In the same way that the internet democratized access to information, we hope that wireless energy transfer democratizes access to energy,” he said. “No energy transmission infrastructure will be needed on the ground to receive this power. That means we can send energy to remote regions and areas devastated by war or natural disaster.”

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 8th, 2023 at 3:12:31 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: rxwine
LEDS, but still first time ever.
democratizing access to power? oh my! now that's a real dreamer

interesting though
July 8th, 2023 at 5:37:45 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: odiousgambit
democratizing access to power? oh my! now that's a real dreamer

interesting though

The internet is kind of democratized. You only need a device. Then stand near one of the many free public Wifi sources. You don't even need phone service, just a cheap, possibly second-hand phone. Which you could probably get for $10. In fact, I have a cheap phone with a cracked screen that still works fine, I would sell for $5 if not giving it away. (I've actually 4 older phones sitting around. The old Samsung7 has good video resolution and use it on the drone.)
July 8th, 2023 at 6:18:50 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
The internet is kind of democratized. You only need a device. Then stand near one of the many free public Wifi sources. You don't even need phone service, just a cheap, possibly second-hand phone. Which you could probably get for $10. In fact, I have a cheap phone with a cracked screen that still works fine, I would sell for $5 if not giving it away. (I've actually 4 older phones sitting around. The old Samsung7 has good video resolution and use it on the drone.)

I think I still have my original iPhone 1.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 8th, 2023 at 10:41:02 AM permalink
odiousgambit
The internet is kind of democratized.
sure

electrical power will not be, sent by microwaves from space or not