Abraham Lincoln is in aggregate ranked as America's greatest president

Page 5 of 7« First<234567>
November 24th, 2016 at 3:33:19 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: kenarman
Although Lincoln is given credit for freeing the slaves little is made of the fact that he is responsible for in effect enslaving the Indians.

He signed the bill to build a railway across the country. It started getting bogged down because of attacks by Indians. He just happened to have a large battle hardened army without much to do. He sent the army out to make it safe for the railway workers and started the country down the road of ruthlessly clearing the land of Indians.

As always, it is a foreigner who has the only idea as to our real history.

Lincoln's idol was Henry Clay, who stated "The Indians' disappearance from the human family will be no great loss to the world. I do not think them, as a race, worth preserving." According to the uproar over Obama and Wright, I suspect the company you keep matters.

And when the Sioux started raising hell over being denied the $1.5mm they were promised in return for 24mm acres of land, and their increasing outrage that said land was being settled and developed by the white man sans payment, Lincoln set loose on them General Pope, who declared "It is my purpose to utterly exterminate the Sioux. They are to be treated as maniacs or wild beasts, and by no means as people with whom treaties or compromise can be made." And they were. Men were tossed into jail, tried, and hanged with no semblance of trial, and no crimes apparent other than "being present" during a "war". After all, what's a deal to an animal? Why pay $1.5 when you can just kill them all?

Or maybe we should talk of his suspension of the writ of Habeus Corpus?
Or perhaps waging war without the consent of Congress?
Or should we mention the media he imprisoned who happened to write against him?
Or the attacks on non-military southern cities?
Or the blockades of southern ports without a declaration of war?

Nah. Gotta keep up the propaganda.

Good on ya, kenarman. Next time you swing down, bring some Canadian text books with ya. Appears we are in short supply of knowledge, especially given that list.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
November 24th, 2016 at 3:41:02 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Not sure that I will ever make it that far east again Face but would love to stop by if I do. I am going down to Yuma and Algodones to get some dental work done in January maybe should get some of your multiple dental problems dealt with at the same time.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
November 24th, 2016 at 3:45:38 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Face
As always, it is a foreigner who has the only idea as to our real history.

Partly.

Lincoln was no saint, but Jackson's Trail of Tears happened before his time in office.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 24th, 2016 at 3:48:13 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

What city is pictured here?
November 24th, 2016 at 3:50:58 PM permalink
kenarman
Given that the signs are in Spanish and the TJDentalCenter.com I assume that stands for Tijuana
November 24th, 2016 at 4:02:19 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Nareed
Partly.

Lincoln was no saint, but Jackson's Trail of Tears happened before his time in office.

Indeed, but that was the Cherokee. I mentioned the Sioux.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
November 24th, 2016 at 4:17:25 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Given that the signs are in Spanish and the TJDentalCenter.com I assume that stands for Tijuana

Correct! Abraham Lincoln has a very prominent spot of honor in Tijuana. At the same time Benito Juarez has a very prominent spot in Chicago about 400' away from the Trump Hotel and Tower.

Benito Juarez (15 January 1858 - 18 July 1872) President of Mexico - time includes president in exile during French occupation
Abraham Lincoln (March 4, 1861 - April 15, 1865) President of USA - most of this time divided country
November 24th, 2016 at 4:29:22 PM permalink
Nareed
Do you know not a single of my Mexican history teachers ever even mentioned the US was having a civil war at the time of the wars vs the French and Maximilian?
November 24th, 2016 at 4:42:03 PM permalink
kenarman
Paco why was Lincoln honoured with a statue in Tijuana?
November 24th, 2016 at 4:47:29 PM permalink
Nareed
Paco why was Lincoln honoured with a statue in Tijuana?

For running off the French?

There are several statues of Lincoln in Mexico.

I an assure you there'll be none of Trump, but the Orange Man will get plenty of piñatas in his image.
Page 5 of 7« First<234567>