2 votes (8.69%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (4.34%)

23 members have voted

November 28th, 2016 at 12:30:53 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: kenarman
What you are missing Nareed is that Trump doesn't own all of the hotels. This very common in the hotel industry and few of the chains own all or even a majority of their properties.

What you're missing is he gets paid royalties or a percentage of revenue or something, which is the same thing.

And that's just the beginning. What if a building in, say, India bearing Trump's name involves bribes as part of its construction costs? Even if trump only gets a fee for the use of his name, he's a part of the enterprise. That may not be unconstitutional, but what does it look like? And what if local politicians are partners in the venture? And what does that do to US diplomacy in the region?

But, hey, if you don't mind the US joining the ranks of banana republics, go right ahead.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 28th, 2016 at 12:40:48 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
My fear is more legitimate than yours. Your fear is based upon supposed future actions none of which has occurred yet. My fear is base upon events that have already happened and continue to do so. The government continually picking my pocket to support the called "under privileged" of all shapes and sizes. Rather than helping them move on with their lives it only makes them more dependent and entitled and want more of everything, all at the expense of anyone but themselves. This is going to be the downfall of western society much sooner than any effects of global warming.

See? Total nonsense, just as I expected.

Minorities in 2016: "The President is a racist who wants to appoint a racist Attorney General and picks a white Supremacist as chief strategist. I'm scared!"

kenarman in 2009: "The President is going to eliminate pre-existing conditions for poor people. I'm scared!"
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
November 28th, 2016 at 12:45:53 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Nareed
What you're missing is he gets paid royalties or a percentage of revenue or something, which is the same thing.

Obviously I am do not know the details of the Trump contracts but I don't agree with your statement above. Most of the contracts with hotel chains that I knew something about were heavily weighted with a flat annual fee and a much smaller portion, if any, that was dependent upon gross or net income.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
November 28th, 2016 at 1:23:55 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Reading about the Impeachment of Andrew Johnson and the more familiar impeachment of Bill Clinton, I am convinced that if the POTUS is unpopular enough, they can always find something to impeach him over.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeachment_of_Andrew_Johnson
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeachment_of_Bill_Clinton
November 28th, 2016 at 1:28:48 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
Personal insult. Three-day suspension.
When you get back let's finalize our bet.

That didn't take long, he just can't
help himself. My guess is he got
suspended on purpose so he doesn't
have to return and make good on
the bets. We've been thru this with
MKL before. He has the highest IQ
and more money than anybody here.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 28th, 2016 at 1:32:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
I am convinced that if the POTUS is unpopular enough, they can always find something to impeach him over.

Never gonna happen with Trump. in 2018
35 Dem senators are up for re-election. No
way some of them won't turn Rupub and
make the senate even stronger in 2020.
Congress will remain Repub for Trump's
2nd term.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 28th, 2016 at 2:03:47 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Rather than helping them move on with their lives it only makes them more dependent and entitled and want more of everything, all at the expense of anyone but themselves. This is going to be the downfall of western society much sooner than any effects of global warming.

I thought it was mostly the middle class entitlement attitude that brought down Greece? Middle class people doing too little and wanting too much for retirement.

How often is it really the poor and welfare collectors that bring down society?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 28th, 2016 at 2:10:21 PM permalink
Nareed
Obviously I am do not know the details of the Trump contracts but I don't agree with your statement above.

Imagine my surprise.

Quote:
Most of the contracts with hotel chains that I knew something about were heavily weighted with a flat annual fee and a much smaller portion, if any, that was dependent upon gross or net income.

Licensing deals always involve a percentage of either net or gross sales. That's the whole point of licensing. Exceptions are few. There may be a minimum annual fee, should revenue fail to meet expectations (a guarantee of sorts). But even if Trump were to collect only a fixed fee, if a hotel takes money from foreign diplomats, the Bank of China, etc., then it's obvious he's getting emoluments from such sources.

Come on, if it were a Democrat doing this, the GOP would be in full derangement mode.
November 28th, 2016 at 2:11:21 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
In fact I wouldn't be surprised there is lots of evidence that our middleclass was pretty irresponsible in the housing bubble and big recession. People consciously overbuying beyond their means. Helped along by irresponsible wallstreet.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 28th, 2016 at 3:14:15 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: rxwine
I thought it was mostly the middle class entitlement attitude that brought down Greece? Middle class people doing too little and wanting too much for retirement.

How often is it really the poor and welfare collectors that bring down society?

Most welfare spending in developed countries goes to the middle class. Notably things like social security. But the middle class also tends to get squeezed worst with income taxes. The poor don't pay them, and the rich can 1) easily afford them and 2) more easily afford lawyers and accountants to take advantage of loopholes.

So, yes, the middle class is righteously pissed.

I doubt they'll feel better after four years of someone thoroughly incompetent and inexperienced in politics, who likes graft and nepotism as much as seeing his own name.
Page 4 of 811<1234567>Last »