2 votes (8.69%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (4.34%)

23 members have voted

September 27th, 2022 at 3:26:40 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: missedhervee
If she convicts him it will be a boon for her political career.

Conviction? This is a civil case. Frivolous one at that.

If she thought she had a criminal case after five years of investigating him, she would have presented it by now.
September 27th, 2022 at 5:10:25 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Tanko
Conviction? This is a civil case. Frivolous one at that.

If she thought she had a criminal case after five years of investigating him, she would have presented it by now.

Forbe's articile mentions owning the floors, but still says, " property records, which showed Trump’s apartment was 10,996 square feet and only took up part of the floors. "

Trump made his claim on the wrong footage if that's true on the property records.

If they didn't know about Trump owning the floors it might make sense that they missed it, but they did.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 27th, 2022 at 5:24:36 AM permalink
rxwine
Also, not to mention, maybe Weisselberg wanted to go to jail even if he was innocent.

Quote:
Former CFO of Trump Organization pleads guilty for his role in tax fraud scheme and agrees to testify against company
Tax fraud? Might be a hint there.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 27th, 2022 at 8:17:10 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Anybody who hasn't been in business probably doesn't understand what a maze tax law is. Nobody including the IRS really knows what they mean, that is why we have thousands of tax lawyers. When I had just started in business and asked my first accountant a question on some deduction, he gave me a really simple answer. It is up to you as the owner to decide your risk level. If you want absolutely no chance of an audit finding anything that causes you to owe more taxes, I can do that, you will however be paying more tax than you should. If you want to take full advantage of every possible tax loophole legal or not, I can do that, you will however get caught and pay not only taxes but penalties. You tell me where you want to be on this scale.

The takeaway for the non-business members is that audits do not mean you cheated. Owing taxes after an audit do not mean you are a crook. The IRS recognizes this and that is why it is only extreme cases that the business owners are charged criminally.

Some of you are probably ready to jump in and say that as a Canadian, I know nothing about the IRS. That is true, but I do know a lot about the Canadian equivalent, the CRA, and expect that similarities are much greater than the differences. I had numerous interactions with the CRA over the decades. I even went as far as the Tax Court of Canada, the highest appeal in the land, with one issue and defended myself. I didn't win that case but I was able to significantly reduce the cost of the ruling. In preparation for that case I read several years of rulings by the court.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
September 27th, 2022 at 8:30:20 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: kenarman
Anybody who hasn't been in business probably doesn't understand what a maze tax law is. Nobody including the IRS really knows what they mean, that is why we have thousands of tax lawyers. When I had just started in business and asked my first accountant a question on some deduction, he gave me a really simple answer. It is up to you as the owner to decide your risk level. If you want absolutely no chance of an audit finding anything that causes you to owe more taxes, I can do that, you will however be paying more tax than you should. If you want to take full advantage of every possible tax loophole legal or not, I can do that, you will however get caught and pay not only taxes but penalties. You tell me where you want to be on this scale.

The takeaway for the non-business members is that audits do not mean you cheated. Owing taxes after an audit do not mean you are a crook. The IRS recognizes this and that is why it is only extreme cases that the business owners are charged criminally.

Some of you are probably ready to jump in and say that as a Canadian, I know nothing about the IRS. That is true, but I do know a lot about the Canadian equivalent, the CRA, and expect that similarities are much greater than the differences. I had numerous interactions with the CRA over the decades. I even went as far as the Tax Court of Canada, the highest appeal in the land, with one issue and defended myself. I didn't win that case but I was able to significantly reduce the cost of the ruling. In preparation for that case I read several years of rulings by the court.

I have no problem with tax law being a maze, but there are believable errors and not so believable errors. No one is concerned with credible errors. Other than accessing appropriate corrective action.
September 27th, 2022 at 10:33:12 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Not in the real world. Especially when the application is for a loan in the tens of millions or higher. No matter how small or large the loan, banks are bound by federal and state law to verify the ability of the borrower to repay any loan.

Fine, but the quetion is did Trump sign an application under the penalty of perjury, and if so did the app contain false / fraudulent data?

That is the crux, the proverbial smoking gun.
September 27th, 2022 at 11:01:37 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: missedhervee
Fine, but the quetion is did Trump sign an application under the penalty of perjury, and if so did the app contain false / fraudulent data?

Because he is a lying con man.

And also the hero of the “law and order” righties, somehow. 🤷‍♂️
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
September 27th, 2022 at 12:25:31 PM permalink
quadriga
Threads: 0
In an interview with Forbes in 2015 during the campaign, Trump lied that his penthouse apartment in Trump Tower was over 30,000 square feet and that "I own the top three floors—the whole floor, times three!” His claim of the size of his triplex apt. might be true if he had owned all three floors. The magazine looked up the NYC records and found out that there was also another resident on that floor, businessman Joel Anderson, who purchased his apartment in 1996.

"As for that neighbor, it’s Joel R. Anderson, an Alabama businessman who has owned a 3,368-square-foot apartment on two of the floors since 1996. Anderson has been identified in the past as a member of the Trump Tower condo board and he reportedly raised more than $400,000 for a library foundation in his hometown of Florence, Ala. by hosting an event called the 2005 Donald Trump Library Benefit Dinner. (Anderson could not be reached for comment.)

Together, Trump’s and Anderson’s penthouses combine for about 14,000 square feet. So where does Trump’s 33,000 square feet figure come from? It’s hard to tell. No one else lives on those floors, according to city records. Instead “common elements”—things like hallways and elevators—and mechanical space appear to take up the rest of the area Trump claims to live in. The residents of Trump Tower likely own these areas through their condo association, their stakes divvied up based on the size of their apartments."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chasewithorn/2022/09/21/how-forbes-exposed-trumps-lies-about-the-size-of-his-penthouse/?sh=5d199b4758ec
September 27th, 2022 at 3:36:06 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Those records are public. Just as every property owners record is public here. If he didn't own those top three floors, we would have known about it by now.

He also owns the 25th and 26th floors, where the Trump Organization has it's offices.

Right which is why for years there have been articles tearing apart his square footage claims, because what he states does not match with public record. Courts will likely look at private appraisals, and maybe even order their own.

If it comes out in Court Records that beyond that he has been lying about square footage by over 40% this will be huge. I mean we all already know he is lying, but it will show the right once and for all that his statements are provably false (and more than an innocent misspeak of a couple hundred square feet). In many ways this case will be more important than the criminal investigation because it will systemically expose his lies going back decades line by line. This is something America needs (this is why Donld "I never Settle" Trump is so eager to settle).
September 27th, 2022 at 7:39:02 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Gandler
Right which is why for years there have been articles tearing apart his square footage claims, because what he states does not match with public record. Courts will likely look at private appraisals, and maybe even order their own.

If it comes out in Court Records that beyond that he has been lying about square footage by over 40% this will be huge. I mean we all already know he is lying, but it will show the right once and for all that his statements are provably false (and more than an innocent misspeak of a couple hundred square feet). In many ways this case will be more important than the criminal investigation because it will systemically expose his lies going back decades line by line. This is something America needs (this is why Donld "I never Settle" Trump is so eager to settle).

You actually think America cares if Trump says he has a 20,000 square foot apartment but it’s only 10,000 square feet?

If ANY of Trump’s lies are actually criminal, then indict him! I’m guessing they are not, as he has not even been indicted!

A man lying about the size of his zdbgdsh, woe is me!