Is Christianity too feminized?

Page 2 of 9<12345>Last »
August 12th, 2017 at 9:08:57 AM permalink
FrGamble
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 45
Posts: 5191
Interesting topic. I remember in Europe thinking there were a lot more women who were actively practicing their faith. I'll need a little more time to think about it and respond but my first response is that good things are happening with men in the Church. There are a lot of good programs picking up speed that strive to help men be the fathers, husbands, and friends they desire to be. I believe we are attracted to challenge and sacrifice and nothing could be more challenging and require more sacrifice than Christianity.
August 12th, 2017 at 1:56:38 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Member since: Oct 27, 2012
Threads: 50
Posts: 4822
Women tend to have more time available to them and it is socially acceptable for women to partake of such activities and to meet in groups.
August 12th, 2017 at 4:07:53 PM permalink
Evenbob
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 110
Posts: 11614
Quote: FrGamble
nothing could be more challenging and require more sacrifice than Christianity.


Really? Seems very simple to me. You
do wrong and go to confession and
spill your guts and you're fine again.
I don't see the challenge. Things are
only as hard as you make them, usually.
That's the appeal of Christianity, it's
so simple a child can (and does) do it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 13th, 2017 at 7:15:24 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Member since: Oct 23, 2012
Threads: 145
Posts: 3174
Quote: Evenbob
Really? Seems very simple to me. You
do wrong and go to confession and
spill your guts and you're fine again.


Some Protestants (not all) don't even go to confession. They drive around with bumpers stickers that say "Christians aren't perfect, just forgiven," as they do whatever they please, because they are presumably forgiven.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
August 13th, 2017 at 9:05:50 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 103
Posts: 6781
Quote: FrGamble
Interesting topic. I remember in Europe thinking there were a lot more women who were actively practicing their faith. I'll need a little more time to think about it and respond but my first response is that good things are happening with men in the Church. There are a lot of good programs picking up speed that strive to help men be the fathers, husbands, and friends they desire to be. I believe we are attracted to challenge and sacrifice and nothing could be more challenging and require more sacrifice than Christianity.


I still like the podcast about why men hate church. A lot of it rang true. On the simple side, I can say that I always hated being forced to sing hymns. I kind of hated, no, just hated, music class for the same reason. Generally, the girls liked the singing more and the guys less. On another level, women seem to like the "beauty" if the ceremonial parts itself more than the men do. Men want more of the meat-and-potatoes stuff. Give me the lesson I am supposed to learn and get on with things.

An interesting question for the Padre. Any idea the ratio of Nuns to Priests? I would think it had to be around 3:1 based on how many of each were around when I was a kid. I know there are/were "Brothers" which were males leading a Nun-like life but for whatever reason didn't become Priests, but I have just heard of one and never saw or met one, so they cannot be a huge number.
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
August 13th, 2017 at 10:27:01 AM permalink
Evenbob
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 110
Posts: 11614
Quote: Wizard
Some Protestants (not all) don't even go to confession. They drive around with bumpers stickers that say "Christians aren't perfect, just forgiven," as they do whatever they please, because they are presumably forgiven.


Very true. They have gotten rid of the
Catholic middleman, the priest hearing
confessions. It's a horrible invasion of
privacy anyway, god supposedly knows
all that you'll say before you say it so
a priest isn't needed.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 13th, 2017 at 10:31:06 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 103
Posts: 6781
Quote: Evenbob
Very true. They have gotten rid of the
Catholic middleman, the priest hearing
confessions. It's a horrible invasion of
privacy anyway, god supposedly knows
all that you'll say before you say it so
a priest isn't needed.


But the idea is the priest is supposed to offer counsel, to help you be better and do better in the future.

Ever hear the story of the priest who told the woman who gossiped to cut up a pillow, then let the feathers blow in the wind?
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
August 13th, 2017 at 2:04:56 PM permalink
Evenbob
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 110
Posts: 11614
Quote: AZDuffman
Ever hear the story of the priest who told the woman who gossiped to cut up a pillow, then let the feathers blow in the wind?


I love gossip, it's what makes the world go round.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 13th, 2017 at 10:00:47 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Member since: Oct 27, 2012
Threads: 50
Posts: 4822
Quote: Evenbob
I love gossip, it's what makes the world go round.
Only for fourteen year old girls and Hollywood PR agents.
August 14th, 2017 at 1:54:02 AM permalink
Evenbob
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 110
Posts: 11614
Quote: Fleastiff
Only for fourteen year old girls and Hollywood PR agents.


Don't be naive, everybody gossips. I was at
a class reunion today and we gossiped like
crazy about the people who weren't there.
Everybody who interacts with other live
people does it, but how would you know
about that.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 2 of 9<12345>Last »