Is Christianity too feminized?

Page 3 of 9<123456>Last »
August 15th, 2017 at 11:38:19 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: AZDuffman

An interesting question for the Padre. Any idea the ratio of Nuns to Priests? I would think it had to be around 3:1 based on how many of each were around when I was a kid. I know there are/were "Brothers" which were males leading a Nun-like life but for whatever reason didn't become Priests, but I have just heard of one and never saw or met one, so they cannot be a huge number.

Good question and I don't know the answer. I think there are just as many priests as nuns though especially if you count the religious orders. There are lots of priests that you may never see because they serve in monasteries or live in hermitages. There are fewer brothers. Being a brother is a unique call in that you live a monastic type of life but do not ever feel called to be ordained a priest or a deacon.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
August 15th, 2017 at 11:39:04 AM permalink
FrGamble
By the way I do like that story about the gossip and the pillow of feathers. Gossip is a poison.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
August 15th, 2017 at 11:53:59 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: FrGamble
Good question and I don't know the answer. I think there are just as many priests as nuns though especially if you count the religious orders. There are lots of priests that you may never see because they serve in monasteries or live in hermitages. There are fewer brothers. Being a brother is a unique call in that you live a monastic type of life but do not ever feel called to be ordained a priest or a deacon.

I get that on the priests, we had one they brought in for one Mass a week, usually the guitar Mass we had, which I didn't like so much. Based on the times he would show up, he could not have said another Mass where he was stationed due to the commute. I never did know what he did with the rest of his time. But I remember we always saw nuns that did not teach and nobody even knew who they were or their names. As a rough guess the convent would have held 15-20 rooms, across the lawn they had room for 3 priests, maybe a guest room. Where my guesstimate comes from.

Is Brother more an outside the USA thing? Something tells me it is.

By the way I do like that story about the gossip and the pillow of feathers. Gossip is a poison.

I heard it in grade school I forget when, then it was in some movie. I am not going to say it never happened for real, but I do think chances are some priest somewhere got the idea and used it to teach. If for no other reason than only the priest and the woman should have known about it, and the priest can't gab about what he heard and said in a confessional. (I forget the exact term, sorry there.)
The President is a fink.
August 15th, 2017 at 12:27:31 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Gossip is a poison.

Horse pucky. Everybody gossips, everybody
talks about stories they've heard about people
they have in common. It's half the fun of life,
keeping up with the doings of the other people
in your world. You think everything is 'poison' if
it makes you feel good and satisfies you. What
a small life to lead, ick..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 15th, 2017 at 1:32:39 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Evenbob
they have in common. It's half the fun of life,
keeping up with the doings of the other people
in your world. You think everything is 'poison' if
How else would good parents filter who's house their kids would play at or even spend the night?

I would hope someone would pass it around if some parents were suspected of "foul play".

Great harm comes from secrets.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 15th, 2017 at 1:56:02 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: petroglyph
How else would good parents filter who's house their kids would play at or even spend the night?.

How would you hear about the bad kids
your daughter or son should avoid dating.
How would you learn about who's out to get
you at work. How would you hear about
possible good job opening before everybody
else if there wasn't gossip.

Gossip is the oil that keeps every society
running smoothly. To be against it is to have
some agenda like the Church has, to be in
total control of the lives of their members as
much as possible.

Psychologists say gossip is a good thing.

"Social topics—personal relationships, likes and dislikes, anecdotes about social activities (gossip)—made up about two-thirds of all conversations in analyses done by evolutionary psychologist Robin Dunbar. The remaining one-third of their time not spent talking about other people was devoted to discussing everything else: sports, music, politics, etc."

"In recent years, research on the positive effects of gossip has proliferated. Rather than just a means to humiliate people and make them cry in the bathroom, gossip is now being considered by scientists as a way to learn about cultural norms, bond with others, promote cooperation, and even, as one recent study found, allow individuals to gauge their own success and social standing."

"As the study explains, “by hearing about the misadventures of others, we may not have to endure costs to ourselves,” by making the same mistake. And because negative stories tend to stick better in the mind than positive stories, it makes sense that gossip about people who violated norms would be more instructive than gossip about people who are really great at norms. (What’s more, one study found that sharing a negative opinion of a person with someone is better for bonding with them than sharing a positive opinion.)"

"Gossip is what makes human society as we know it possible."

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/11/have-you-heard-gossip-is-actually-good-and-useful/382430/
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 16th, 2017 at 9:34:17 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
they have in common.

You like to look into dictionaries for the meaning of words. Please look up the word "gossip" and then correct your above statement.

Quote:
You think everything is 'poison' if

I think nothing can possibly be poison if it truly makes you feel good and satisfies you. Talking bad about someone, belittling them behind their back, or sharing unflattering stories about them might make you feel good for a second but it never satisfies and it poisons your soul. You think that anything that makes you feel good even for a fleeting moment is good. What a small life to lead, it sickens me how you think sometimes.
August 16th, 2017 at 9:40:23 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: petroglyph
How else would good parents filter who's house their kids would play at or even spend the night?

I would hope someone would pass it around if some parents were suspected of "foul play".

Great harm comes from secrets.

Yes, that is true and that is why sharing something that could harm oneself or others is not gossip.
August 16th, 2017 at 10:00:42 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Recall that originally a convent was kept strictly at a 50:50 ratio, only a nunnery was for females (and a male doorkeeper).

Recall too perhaps that gosspi seems to serve the purpose previously served by fairy tales and songs before they all became bland and non-threatening. Children didn't have to hear gossip if they had learned fairy tales about step parents and visitors.
August 16th, 2017 at 11:07:22 AM permalink
Evenbob
You like to look into dictionaries for the meaning of words. Please look up the word "gossip"

Gossip: casual or unconstrained conversation or reports about other people; Gossip is idle talk or rumor, especially about the personal or private affairs of others; talk or rumor, especially about the personal or private affairs of others; the act is also known as dishing

Quote:
I think nothing can possibly be poison if it truly makes you feel good and satisfies you. Talking bad about someone, belittling them .

You live in an awful world, where everything
is black and white, there is no gray area. Gossip
is hardly just about belittling others, far from
it. Most gossip is just relating what you've heard,
and trying to get others opinions. It covers every
subject under the sun, it's how we learn and grow
and function in a society. Gossip is the grease that
makes society run smoothly.

The Church hates gossip because they can't control
it, and they want to control everything in their
members lives. Did you even read this post?

http://diversitytomorrow.com/thread/2351/2/#post83181
Page 3 of 9<123456>Last »