1 vote (11.11%)
No votes (0%)
3 votes (33.33%)

9 members have voted

December 19th, 2017 at 5:10:11 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Aussie
For sure it’s his business to declare it or not. Of course like many/most businesses of that nature he may not declare it because he knows he can get away with a certain amount of under the table work. My point is that legally he would have that requirement to declare it as income and therefore the fact that the transaction took place in a currency other than USD would be irrelevant. I’m not sure about in the US but I know that in Australia I wouldn’t have much luck (read none) arguing that I was bartering by transacting in a foreign currency. I have a hard time believing any government will allow a chryptocurrency economy to flourish without stepping in and regulating, monitoring and of course getting their tax revenue. I guess take advantage while you can.

Key is "while you can." Probably have 1-3 years before a real clampdown. The IRS is like a mafia boss. They would take heroin profits and not care where they came from as long as you declared it I swear! At the moment, BC is probably not worth their hassle, but is on their radar.

Quote:
Interesting. I would assume these are banks that also operate businesses within the US? Not necessarily offering deposit accounts for retail clients but some form of banking business. Speculating of course but it may be a case of them being told if they want to operate there they can’t offer overseas accounts to US citizens. Otherwise there would be no reason for them not to do business with you.

I don't know all the details, but remember the US Government can shut out any entity it wants to from the world system at will. They are deciding it is simply not worth the hassle. FWIW, this is one reason you are seeing wealthy people renounce USA Citizenship. Too many strings.
The President is a fink.
December 19th, 2017 at 9:48:02 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: AZDuffman
His income declaration is his business. I declared the income when I bought the Bitcoin. It gets murky. But say I bought a lot of C$ when the price was low. It gets strong and I say to the contractor, "Mind if I pay you in Canadian?" He is going on a trip so is happy to do so. Do I have to pay "tax" on this? All I did was barter.

Yes, according to the IRS you do have to pay tax on it and file a 1099 on the contractor.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-14-21.pdf

"Payments using virtual currency made to independent contractors and other service providers are taxable and self-employment tax rules generally apply. Normally, payers must issue Form 1099."

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-virtual-currency-guidance
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 19th, 2017 at 9:49:36 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
It is currently next to impossible for an American to get any foreign bank account. Most foreign banks will not touch you due to draconian laws since 9/11. At least this is what I have heard.

I can pretty much confirm this. Only the s&*t banks, like ones with billions in bad debt from Greece, will give an American an account. I've heard if you have in the seven figures to put in the bank, better ones in Hong Kong or Singapore will talk to you. If you get to eight figures then they will talk to you in Europe.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 19th, 2017 at 9:51:14 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
They would take heroin profits and not care where they came from as long as you declared it I swear!

Why shouldn't they? Shouldn't a heroin salesman pay his fair share too?
December 19th, 2017 at 10:21:52 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
Why shouldn't they? Shouldn't a heroin salesman pay his fair share too?
ot

I got no issue with it.

Question is does he have to file a 1099 for his captain or associate for what he has to kick upstairs to them as part of his franchise agreement? We could eliminate the deficit in no time!
The President is a fink.
December 19th, 2017 at 3:00:00 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I can pretty much confirm this. Only the s&*t banks, like ones with billions in bad debt from Greece, will give an American an account. I've heard if you have in the seven figures to put in the bank, better ones in Hong Kong or Singapore will talk to you. If you get to eight figures then they will talk to you in Europe.

I wonder if that will change if they issue digital currency? There may or may not be accounts with digital currency, but they would be with the central bank and not commercial banks. If there are not accounts then money will be in electronic wallets.

Although the Swedish krona is not in widespread use outside of the country like the Euro, the exchange rate is fairly stable.

Quote: The e-krona concept

The project proposes the following design for an e-krona in the event that the Executive Board of the Riksbank sees a need to introduce digital central bank money made available to the general public:

The e-krona is primarily intended for smaller payments between consumers, companies and authorities.
The e-krona constitutes a direct claim on the Riksbank, is specified in Swedish kronor and can be held by the general public, financial institutions and companies. It is accessible in real time, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.
The e-krona does not accrue any interest, but should have a built-in function to make it possible to accrue interest at a later point.
A register-based e-krona is combined with a value-based solution that makes offline payments of small amounts possible and increases their availability for groups that do not want to or cannot have e-krona accounts.
The Riksbank provides the basic functions for the e-krona, but investigates the possibility of using the existing digital infrastructure and invites external actors to propose how the interaction with end-users should be designed.

A register-based electronic currency means basically an account based system. The issue is that it may conflict with commercial banks.

A value-based electronic currency would have a code stored on a phone, computer or card and nowhere else.It would more closely resemble banknotes in functioning, and if the code is lost in some way so would the money. As most people limit the amount of cash they carry with them in case they lose it, presumably people would also limit the amount of value-based electronic currency on their phone or computer.

It is certain that many people won't be bothered to use this electronic currency, preferring their existing systems with commercial banks.
December 22nd, 2017 at 8:56:10 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Why is nobody here mentioning the meltdown today?

200 BILLION LOST TODAY ON CYBERCURRENCY ROUT

The weakness was driven by bitcoin (BTCUSD) the world’s largest digital currency, which has tumbled in recent days. The asset has dropped by more than a third since Sunday’s all-time high; it fell 27% to $11,301.16 on Friday, after nearly breaching $20,000 on Dec. 17.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/how-much-has-been-lost-in-fridays-cryptocurrency-rout-nearly-dollar200-billion/ar-BBH9HQR?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 22nd, 2017 at 9:18:48 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
Why is nobody here mentioning the meltdown today?

I commented on WoV. I'm hoping it drops further because I bet a dinner that it will be below $10,000 on 1/1/18.

Quote:
200 BILLION LOST TODAY ON CYBERCURRENCY ROUT

I don't see it that way. It was all false value, based on nothing. There was no 200 billion dollars waiting for Bitcoin users to sell that disappeared. Real wealth is unchanged.
December 22nd, 2017 at 10:21:42 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
I don't see it that way. It was all false value, based on nothing. There was no 200 billion dollars waiting for Bitcoin users to sell that disappeared. Real wealth is unchanged.
I wondered all along if the crypto's were a tool of the FRB, to mop up some of the trillions they have "printed" since 08? Two hundred billion here, two hundred billion there, pretty soon you are talking about real money.

Or, where did this 200B, go?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 22nd, 2017 at 10:36:38 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
It's ironic that the TwinkleToes Twins were
praising BC to the heavens 10 days ago
and it dropped from $20K to $11K
since last Sunday. They must be crapping
their silk boxers every 15 minutes.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.