Irma News

September 8th, 2017 at 1:08:09 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
The part about cannibalism is racist myth and stereotype.

Cannibalism was well known in Christian
England in the Dark Ages. If you were a
wandering stranger in the countryside,
there was a good chance you could end
up as some clans dinner.

As far as looters and genes, I mentioned
no particular race. You must be the racist,
you assumed something I never wrote.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 8th, 2017 at 1:28:02 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
In regards to Africans selling their own as slaves this was not true as a whole or even a majority and it ignores the fact of who created this evil slave market.

This is one area of history i'd just as son remain ignorant of, but that's just not possible.

The slave trade was part of the triangular transatlantic trade in the period where European nations dominated the Americas. This involved trading European guns and other weapons for slaves in Africa. The slaves were traded for gold, silver, or agricultural products (notably sugar) in the Americas. That loot was taken to Europe.

Europeans rarely ventured into West Africa to hunt for slaves. So, yes, other Africans did it for them, as well as Muslims and other Middle Eastern traders. But to claim "blacks" sold their own also implies considering Africa a shapeless, monolithic, "black" thing, rather than, as every other continent, a patchwork of different societies, civilizations and states.

As you point out, whatever Africans were involved in the slave trade as suppliers because there was a European demand for slaves. it's the same as today's drug production in the Americas and Asia: to supply the large demand of American and European addicts.

Quote:
The part about cannibalism is racist myth and stereotype.

That's another area I tend to avoid. But, again, it shows up here and there. briefly, no human civilization made it a regular practice, much less an exclusive one. Also no human civilization is entirely free of it, even where it's a last resort undertaken in utter desperation. For example, it happened in WWII in besieged areas.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 8th, 2017 at 1:38:09 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
In regards to Africans selling their own as slaves this was not true as a whole or even a majority and it ignores the fact of who created this evil slave market.

Care to cite this? Africans did sell their own into slavery. The miniseries "Roots" in the 1970s got one thing wrong, whites did not go beyond the trading posts. They would have been at great peril physically and could not handle the climate as well. Molasses made in New England was traded for rum in the Caribbean which was traded for slaves in Africa. Triangle Trade it was called.

Even today, slavery is practiced in Africa.
The President is a fink.
September 8th, 2017 at 1:47:23 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: AZDuffman
Even today, slavery is practiced in Africa.

I don't condone slavery, but it makes
sense in poor societies. When all you
have to offer is your labor, not your
brains or your skill, slavery is the natural
outcome.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 8th, 2017 at 2:03:00 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
I don't condone slavery, but it makes
sense in poor societies. When all you
have to offer is your labor, not your
brains or your skill, slavery is the natural
outcome.

I often wonder what percent of people would prefer to be a slave with a benevolent master if they would live better than a lower income free person. I sadly think it is higher than anyone thinks.
The President is a fink.
September 8th, 2017 at 2:06:46 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I forget what thread we were talking about the best states to live in, but man am I glad I live in Michigan lately... the weather is absolutely beautiful here this week.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
September 8th, 2017 at 2:12:20 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Paycheck to paycheck absent any labor laws is about 1 step from slavery. Some situations the boss provided the room and board and collected most of the wages made, keeping someone perpetually poor and dependent.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 8th, 2017 at 2:59:23 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
Paycheck to paycheck absent any labor laws is about 1 step from slavery. Some situations the boss provided the room and board and collected most of the wages made, keeping someone perpetually poor and dependent.

People forget about the workers in the old coal towns. They had it worse in some ways as nobody cared if a miner died, if he got hurt he would starve to death.
The President is a fink.
September 8th, 2017 at 3:18:21 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: AZDuffman
I often wonder what percent of people would prefer to be a slave with a benevolent master if they would live better than a lower income free person. I sadly think it is higher than anyone thinks.
Can you imagine being a sharecropper after the civil war?

I think if prison labor in China were given a chance to be a slave in America, some would jump at the chance while they still had all their organs.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 8th, 2017 at 5:39:27 PM permalink
Evenbob
The great thing about hurricanes is we
know they're coming, so we can prepare
for the fun of the looting and the obesity
factor at the shelters. The reporters in
the wind to show they can still stand,
the MSM blaming everything on global
warming every two minutes. If only we'd
given an obscene about of money to
3rd world crap holes, this could have been
avoided.

Entertainment weekend.