2018 Dead Pool

June 11th, 2018 at 8:59:41 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: DRich
One of my best friends recently dove head first into the shallow end of my pool. He came up a bloody mess but no serious damages. All he needed was a few stitches. He was very fortunate.

Glad to hear he's okay. I've heard of people being paralyzed or dying from that. When I was a kid it was normal for home pools to have a diving board, but now you never see that, for just this reason.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
June 12th, 2018 at 12:24:47 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: rxwine
I used to look forward to the diving boards when I was a kid when my family stopped at a motel.
We all did. Yet even if there were signs saying no diving there were always those who had never heard of a jump board as opposed to a diving board.
June 12th, 2018 at 3:08:10 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine

Reminds me, all motels, some year or other did away with the diving boards. Probably due to potential lawsuits no doubt. I used to look forward to the diving boards when I was a kid when my family stopped at a motel.

First they took the 3 meter boards out. I saw a kid almost fall and kill himself on one. It was his fault, he was fooling around and slipped. Lucky for him he hit the water. But the high-dive was a big thing. You faced your fears. It was scary as heck. I could never bring myself to dive off of it, just jump. Most people just jumped.

Now they are mostly gone. Yet one more challenge kids do not get these days.
The President is a fink.
June 12th, 2018 at 5:13:23 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: AZDuffman
First they took the 3 meter boards out. I saw a kid almost fall and kill himself on one. It was his fault, he was fooling around and slipped. Lucky for him he hit the water. But the high-dive was a big thing. You faced your fears. It was scary as heck. I could never bring myself to dive off of it, just jump. Most people just jumped.

Now they are mostly gone. Yet one more challenge kids do not get these days.
We used to jump off the railroad trestle, probably a felony now.
June 12th, 2018 at 6:00:36 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: pew

Not jumping, but I know adults that won't even go in the local river. If it isn't a pool, they think it is crazy.
The President is a fink.
June 12th, 2018 at 7:57:06 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61

We still do. Trespassing misdemeanor with fines ranging from $100 to $1,000 (including hunters and fishers in action or retrieval). Felony charges only come (but CAN come) when trespassing results in bodily harm / death.

I'm more scared of hydrology. Crick's 25'+ right along the pilon. Still 25' a good 10' away. Still 25' some 20' away. Then, suddenly, it's 5'. Not easy to jump for a target you can't see until you're in the air, even harder when you're running from a BNSF.

I always liked the ridiculously springy boards. Only ever happened upon one in my life, at baseball summer camp. Double jump one of those and you'd land in the tennis courts. Freakishly springy. Also a fan of launching off the biminy/mast of a catamaran. Just gotta time the swing to miss the coral =p
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
June 12th, 2018 at 8:42:16 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Probably a felony then too. Remember though that trespass is a crime committed at the time and place of ENTRY onto real property. So keep tearing down the signs near the trestle and if caught on a freight train with a few friends tell them you all entered at different places and the RR will have to send witnesses from different yards to your trial after which the local farmers won't be getting empty freight cars for their harvests quite so speedily as before.
June 12th, 2018 at 8:43:32 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I still say "crick" is a hick term for "creek." The only place I ever heard it was in rural western Maryland.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
June 12th, 2018 at 8:45:55 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Wizard
I still say "crick" is a hick term for "creek." The only place I ever heard it was in rural western Maryland.
I've got a creek in my back.
June 12th, 2018 at 9:01:57 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Wizard

It gets used in WPA as well. Some places pronounce "ee" like a hard "I."

crick
Still Mill
Stillers

Not that I care if I am considered a hick or not. But that is how it sounds around this parts.
The President is a fink.