February 8th, 2018 at 6:18:45 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Competition starts tonight
Watching Men's figure skating right now
Everybody is trying quads.
Its mind boggling to me.
4 rotations. Incredible
Really looking forward tomorrow nights opening Ceremonies.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 8th, 2018 at 7:45:48 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
So excited!!! I love the Olympics!
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 9th, 2018 at 3:35:14 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I watched some of it last night.

Are there always that many falls during men's figure skating? Looked like amateur hour to me....
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 9th, 2018 at 4:59:25 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: ams288

Are there always that many falls during men's figure skating? Looked like amateur hour to me....

The difficulty level required to score well is substantially higher than even a few Olympics ago. The 10th best skater now tries harder jumps than the best skater did 12 years ago. As someone who cannot even skate backwards, I find their abilities amazing. But not that interesting. Likely will watch less than 1/2 hour total of figure skating.

Edit- Oh yeah, and the big controversy in mixed doubles curling preliminary round...... I'm not sure if the Olympics will recover from that.....
February 9th, 2018 at 5:15:34 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: SOOPOO
The difficulty level required to score well is substantially higher than even a few Olympics ago. The 10th best skater now tries harder jumps than the best skater did 12 years ago. As someone who cannot even skate backwards, I find their abilities amazing. But not that interesting. Likely will watch less than 1/2 hour total of figure skating.

I was wondering about that.... almost every guy tried quad jumps. Seems like just an Olympics or two ago only a rare few attempted it.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 9th, 2018 at 5:19:03 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: SOOPOO

Edit- Oh yeah, and the big controversy in mixed doubles curling preliminary round...... I'm not sure if the Olympics will recover from that.....

Never could stand figure skating. And that always felt like half of what they covered in the old days. Can’t even watch for a date with tonya Harding. Curling I actually like.
The President is a fink.
February 9th, 2018 at 5:54:46 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: ams288

It's much the same in the freestyle world, whether BMX or motox. Everyone's going beyond huge, pushing the envelope. What used to wow us on TV just 3 years ago is now being done by 12yr olds on YouTube. Hell, I remember when people lost their minds over the triple.

Just check out this gold medal performance from my personal god. Today, I could find an 11yr old girl at free skate that could bang this out without warmups...

Now everyone's doing quads and backflips? I can still only do singles, though in my defense, my outfit isn't near as flow-y =p
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 9th, 2018 at 6:26:33 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: Face
It's much the same in the freestyle world, whether BMX or motox. Everyone's going beyond huge, pushing the envelope. What used to wow us on TV just 3 years ago is now being done by 12yr olds on YouTube. Hell, I remember when people lost their minds over the triple.

Just check out this gold medal performance from my personal god. Today, I could find an 11yr old girl at free skate that could bang this out without warmups...

Now everyone's doing quads and backflips? I can still only do singles, though in my defense, my outfit isn't near as flow-y =p

I can't believe it's been 30 years since the "Battle of the Brians". Did you see Orser last night in the KnC box? He's coaching the Russian pair, among others.

Boitano still stands up, IMO. Just like someone had to break the 4 min mile or 10 sec 100m, the sport thresholds have to keep getting pushed. He was the best of his time, and still the complete skater. You know better than most of us the micro-judging of edges, flow, and command of your blades that performance shows. Just because it's all about flashy jumping these days doesn't mean they're skilled in the subtleties any more. I think they actually dropped that part from the judging some time ago.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
February 9th, 2018 at 7:30:13 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I enjoy the winter Olympics much more than summer games.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
February 9th, 2018 at 8:50:24 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
mixed doubles curling is weird.

2 players per team, 5 rocks per end per team.

the thrower in most cases is jumping out front and sweeping his own rock.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Page 1 of 171234>Last »