2018 Winter Olympics PyeongChang

Page 4 of 17<1234567>Last »
February 9th, 2018 at 9:33:12 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Well, this thread has certainly taken a left turn. As long as it did, let me ask the following. It's debated whether Abraham Lincoln was a homosexual or somewhere in the middle of the spectrum. I won't get into all the evidence for and against but I read that at the time he was sometimes referred to as a "dandy," which, at the time, was a code word for being gay. Is this true?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
February 9th, 2018 at 9:35:55 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
It seems like wherever Evenbob posts digressions follow.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 9th, 2018 at 9:37:14 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
The "Dictionary of American Slang" reports that "gay" was used by homosexuals, among themselves, in this sense at least since 1920.

But you still heard the regular definition
of gay being used in movies and TV
right thru the 60's. It wasn't till the
70's that I was aware it was slang
for a homosexual. I heard about the
Gay 90's a lot growing up, in movies
and TV, and it meant "a period regarded
nostalgically as a decade of prosperous
comfort and associated with gaslights,
early bicycles and cars, and the Gibson girl."

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 10th, 2018 at 4:45:54 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
Well, this thread has certainly taken a left turn. As long as it did, let me ask the following. It's debated whether Abraham Lincoln was a homosexual or somewhere in the middle of the spectrum. I won't get into all the evidence for and against but I read that at the time he was sometimes referred to as a "dandy," which, at the time, was a code word for being gay. Is this true?

I have never heard this. Sounds like the usual ploy of the gay community trying to claim someone famous as one of their own.
The President is a fink.
February 10th, 2018 at 6:16:23 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

There is a wikipedia article on the subject
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexuality_of_Abraham_Lincoln

James Buchanan, the only bachelor POTUS, usually is the one that is singled out as possibly gay.
https://www.salon.com/2012/05/14/our_real_first_gay_president/

There are generally believed to be four British kings that were thought to be gay, although all of them were married, and produced children (at least still born ones).

Richard the Lionheart is depicted as gay by Anthony Hopkins in the film adaptation of The Lion in Winter (1968).

Edward II who is famously depicted in Braveheart
February 10th, 2018 at 6:25:14 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Well, I am watching the Olympics, a few minutes at a time.

NBC has a streaming app, and since I have a "participating tv provider" (SlingTV) I can use it for no additional cost.

So far, I have watched some:

Mixed doubles curling. I don't like the format, and the teams I saw were making a lot of mistakes

Men's downhill training runs. Crazy fast.

A little ski jumping. It looks like the hill has tracks made out of plastic for your skis, instead of snow.

Some short track speed skating. Fun for those with a short attention span, but you usually need replays to see what happened in the middle.

Biathalon. Skiing then precision shooting. How cool is that?

The NBC app has live stuff and lots of replays on tap, and they appear to be fully scrollable. There are commercials in there, but one annoying thing to me is having to watch minutes of "tv commercial here" static picture. They should have trimmed those out and inserted the web commercials there, rather than having to watch minutes of nothing AND having the event interrupted mid-word for a web commercial.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
February 10th, 2018 at 7:13:34 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Dalex64
Well, I am watching the Olympics, a few minutes at a time.

NBC has a streaming app, and since I have a "participating tv provider" (SlingTV) I can use it for no additional cost.

So far, I have watched some:

Mixed doubles curling. I don't like the format, and the teams I saw were making a lot of mistakes

Men's downhill training runs. Crazy fast.

A little ski jumping. It looks like the hill has tracks made out of plastic for your skis, instead of snow.

Some short track speed skating. Fun for those with a short attention span, but you usually need replays to see what happened in the middle.

Biathalon. Skiing then precision shooting. How cool is that?

The NBC app has live stuff and lots of replays on tap, and they appear to be fully scrollable. There are commercials in there, but one annoying thing to me is having to watch minutes of "tv commercial here" static picture. They should have trimmed those out and inserted the web commercials there, rather than having to watch minutes of nothing AND having the event interrupted mid-word for a web commercial.

I checked out NBC Olympics online
Had to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night
Went online and they had live events. cool.
Watched a ski race online live then went back to bed
Really appreciate the option to view events live.
Looking forward to all the compelling stories that will come out of these Olympics. That's what really attracts me.
I also think Biathalon is a really cool sport. A competitive sport started for soldiers. Your heart is racing from all the exercise then you have to stop and shoot accurately trying to relax. Not easy. You miss, you take penalty laps.
I may watch the opening ceremonies again. NBC has it online without all the commentary :-)
Commentary I like is Figure skating with Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir. Very honest and brutal. They call it as they see it.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 10th, 2018 at 8:21:33 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
It's debated whether Abraham Lincoln was a homosexual

But could he skate and did he look good
in tight pants. Gay people are always
furthering their agenda by trying to claim
there are more Gays then there really are,
and proclaiming famous people from
history were Gay when they really have
no idea.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 10th, 2018 at 8:27:23 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Nareed
I knew boxing wasn't a sport.
It was fine until it got "safe". It used to be that two men would enter the ring, and one man would leave.

Winter Olympic Events:
Alpine Skiing - Sport
Biathlon - Sport
Bobsleigh - Sport
Cross Country Skiing - Sport
Curling - Sport
Figure skating - Judged
Freestyle Skiing - Judged
Ice Hockey - Sport
Luge - Sport
Nordic Combined - Sport
Short Track Speed Skating - Sport
Skeleton - Sport
Ski Jumping - Sport
Snowboard - Judged
Speed skating - Sport

It is interesting that the events with the most public interest are actually the judged ones. I suspect it is because judged events are primarily performances for spectators, and the audience members feel more involved because their opinions of each performance are just as valid as the judges.

I'd like to see barrel jumping brought back as an event.
February 10th, 2018 at 9:05:33 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Ayecarumba
It was fine until it got "safe". It used to be that two men would enter the ring, and one man would leave.

Winter Olympic Events:
Alpine Skiing - Sport
Biathlon - Sport
Bobsleigh - Sport
Cross Country Skiing - Sport
Curling - Sport
Figure skating - Judged
Freestyle Skiing - Judged
Ice Hockey - Sport
Luge - Sport
Nordic Combined - Sport
Short Track Speed Skating - Sport
Skeleton - Sport
Ski Jumping - Sport
Snowboard - Judged
Speed skating - Sport

It is interesting that the events with the most public interest are actually the judged ones. I suspect it is because judged events are primarily performances for spectators, and the audience members feel more involved because their opinions of each performance are just as valid as the judges.

I'd like to see barrel jumping brought back as an event.

Not sure why you think the judged ones are the most popular. This is the Olympic committee ranking, none on the list but Figure Skating are judged sports.

"Most watched Winter Olympic sports

•Alpine Skiing.
•Biathlon.
•Bobsleigh.
•Cross Country Skiing.
•Curling.
•Figure skating.
•Freestyle Skiing.
•Ice Hockey."

It is likely a ranking from the US would vary.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
Page 4 of 17<1234567>Last »