Threads: 154
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article253728768.html
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
September 16th, 2021 at 12:54:10 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: odiousgambit
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article253728768.html

I'm not sure I'd believe that guy only had mushrooms. Likewise, mixing drugs is not uncommon. People not knowing exactly what they're taking isn't uncommon either.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 20th, 2021 at 11:58:53 AM permalink
odiousgambit
I've located more chicken of the woods than I can eat, will have to freeze it ... and quit collecting it, I could have brought back 4 times this much as in pic. Chanterelles, the others there, also starting to come out; I expect a good crop after the rain we are supposed to get Wed.

Quarter for scale

October 6th, 2021 at 4:15:31 AM permalink
odiousgambit
I've located more chicken of the woods than I can eat, will have to freeze it
I'm finding out it lasts a long time just refrigerated, these types, compared to the types you get in the grocery store. I'm going to see if that really means "weeks" or not

If you freeze it, it seems to mean you want to use it immediately when thawed, though I have not experimented with this in all types
October 6th, 2021 at 4:18:41 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Just anecdotally, eating mushrooms for one meal a day seems to keep your weight down. I looked it up.

Quote:
[google's]People also ask
Is mushroom diet good for weight loss?
As an excellent source of both fiber and protein, mushrooms are particularly useful for plant-based diets. Mushrooms also help to burn fat in the body because their nutrients help to regulate glucose levels in the blood. Their excellent nutritional value will keep you energized and allow you to workout for longer.Jan 1, 2020

https://www.foragesf.com/blog/2019/10/25/how-mushrooms-can-help-you-lose-weight-while-still-eating-well

an average size mushroom, typical supermarket cheap type, has about 4-5 calories
October 6th, 2021 at 6:23:56 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Just anecdotally, eating mushrooms for one meal a day seems to keep your weight down. I looked it up.

Quote:
[google's]People also ask
Is mushroom diet good for weight loss?
As an excellent source of both fiber and protein, mushrooms are particularly useful for plant-based diets. Mushrooms also help to burn fat in the body because their nutrients help to regulate glucose levels in the blood. Their excellent nutritional value will keep you energized and allow you to workout for longer.Jan 1, 2020

https://www.foragesf.com/blog/2019/10/25/how-mushrooms-can-help-you-lose-weight-while-still-eating-well

an average size mushroom, typical supermarket cheap type, has about 4-5 calories

Do wild mushrooms taste less bland than your average supermarket mushroom? As far as I can tell, most mushrooms add more texture to the food than taste. Like in spaghetti you have something that crunches a bit.

actually, now that I think about it, mushroom soup can have a fairly strong taste, Do you ever make soup with your mushrooms?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 6th, 2021 at 9:46:28 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: rxwine
Do wild mushrooms taste less bland than your average supermarket mushroom? As far as I can tell, most mushrooms add more texture to the food than taste. Like in spaghetti you have something that crunches a bit.

actually, now that I think about it, mushroom soup can have a fairly strong taste, Do you ever make soup with your mushrooms?

it depends on the wild mushroom. Of what I've tried, chanterelles and hen of the woods are very delicious. Chicken of the woods, not much flavor, but I have found they absorb flavors well. Tried a stew cooked with wine and they really pick up the wine flavor very nicely.

the beefsteak mushroom isn't much. I don't think I'll bother with them anymore.

that's about it for what I've been able to safely identify and eat.

Haven't tried mushroom soup.
October 6th, 2021 at 10:50:27 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

I cut up four or five white mushrooms everyday and have them with dinner. Mushrooms are a superfood and I love how they taste.

'Mushrooms don't just taste nice. They also pack a
nutritional punch as they are loaded with vitamins,
promote a healthy immune system and boost your
bone health. That's why they are considered as a
superfood."
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 6th, 2021 at 10:51:42 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I've located more chicken of the woods than I can eat, will have to freeze it ... and quit collecting it, I could have brought back 4 times this much as in pic. Chanterelles, the others there, also starting to come out; I expect a good crop after the rain we are supposed to get Wed.

Quarter for scale

There is an abundance of chicken of the woods on the Appalachian Trail this year. I'm seeing it in hiking videos. Some of the hikers are getting tired of eating it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 14th, 2022 at 9:40:39 AM permalink
odiousgambit
I'll never understand why people who teach about using a compass make it so hard. This guy might be the worst yet. And then you find out havng watched the whole thing, you once again find out he never mentions dead reckoning, which I swear is the most common use of a compass by outdoorsmen.

The main problem with all that, I think, is they make it intimidating so the newbie figures he can't use one. One of the themes for people getting lost in the woods is they don't bring a compass or know how to use one ... I can see why.

skip to 3:50 for sure