8 votes (36.36%)
2 votes (9.09%)
3 votes (13.63%)

22 members have voted

February 19th, 2020 at 1:06:24 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Tripdufan
Umm, we are talking about DECADES of economic policy, not 3 years. The middle class, compared to 1980, is NOT DOING BETTER. Their share of the pie has consistently shrunk, but guys like AZ tags them as selfish for pointing out the inequalities that trickle-down is responsible for? Puh-lease.

There are a few things in the Trump tax bill that I think were good for the middle class, but didn't go far enough. Increasing the child tax credit is one of them and if you're a family of 5 and got an extra three thousand bucks back, I dont' fault you for saying "I'm better off". But if you really drill down into the data, you can CLEARLY see that the middle class has been ROBBED for the last 30+ years.

CEO pay skyrocketing while the workers who are the lifeline of their businesses have flat-lined. THIS IS A FACT. Yeah know, those pesky things that don't align at all with what the GOP sells in 2020.

For example, business investment is currently shrinking, you know that right? Corporations just got huge tax windfall benefits, but where's the reinvestment? Remember when the one time bonuses were handed out at AT&T and you all were fawning over it? Turns out it was just that, ONE TIME.

The middle class is doing far better than in 1980. What you fail to grasp is that it is not share of the pie that matters but how much pie you get. Only bitter and angry people care what they make compared to the CEO. If you want to make that then get a CEO job for crying out loud.

The reinvestment will happen when the ROI is there.

If the middle class was robbed then why do they live so much better than in1980?

You hate anyone doing better than yourself. Why?
The President is a fink.
February 19th, 2020 at 1:52:21 PM permalink
Tripdufan
Threads: 0
Quote: AZDuffman
The middle class is doing far better than in 1980.

No, they're not.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/08/07/for-most-us-workers-real-wages-have-barely-budged-for-decades/

"After adjusting for inflation, however, today’s average hourly wage has just about the same purchasing power it did in 1978, following a long slide in the 1980s and early 1990s and bumpy, inconsistent growth since then. In fact, in real terms average hourly earnings peaked more than 45 years ago: The $4.03-an-hour rate recorded in January 1973 had the same purchasing power that $23.68 would today."

The same purchasing power? But...they're better off?

You couldn't be more wrong about this.
February 19th, 2020 at 1:52:55 PM permalink
Tripdufan
Threads: 0
The reinvestment will happen when the ROI is there.

LMFAO
February 19th, 2020 at 2:11:54 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Only bitter and angry people care what they make compared to the CEO. If you want to make that then get a CEO job for crying out loud.

Sure let's apply that idea across the board. You don't like the trappings of what comes with your financial status, you can be poor.

For instance, everybody laughs at the people who complain about the downside of fame, who wish to be left alone when it brings them negative things.

If someone doesn't like downside of being wealthy, they can not be wealthy if it bothers them so much.

No more tears for anyone.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 19th, 2020 at 2:12:46 PM permalink
miplet
Threads: 8
Quote: Wizard
To get back on topic, I caucused yesterday. Three-hour wait. I overheard people in line saying they left other locations that had even longer waits. Here was the routine:

1. Wait in one line to pass security and get in the building.
2. Accept an index card with a 3-digit number on it.
3. Wait a long time for your number to be called.
4. Wait in another line.
5. Caucus. This entailed filling out a card with your top three to five choices, in order. You had to do with with a caucus worker right in front of you, but she didn't seem to pay attention to my picks.

I skipped step 3 by leaving and returning later.

I won't say who I picked, but I will say Nevada should scrap the caucus system. I see no benefit to it at all compared to voting. With most people caucusing early, it pretty much is like voting, but there are very limited times and places, thus the long lines.

I’m glad Washington did away with caucuses.
I didn’t go the first time I was able in 2000. My brother, however, was trying to be a national delegate. So I went with him to a few conventions including the state one in Spokane. Talk about boring.
"...remind me of clue: Colonel Mustard in the billiard room with the candlestick."- Derek Morgan
February 19th, 2020 at 2:15:50 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
"Yes, health care was provided by the state. Sanders admired this, but that’s because he did not understand the reality of Soviet medical care. Perhaps he should have looked at it more closely."

"What we saw was grisly. Patients draining their wounds into open jars of pus. Post-operative infections worse than the problem that required surgery. Reusable metal hypodermics, dirty bedclothes, untended patients wandering about dimly lit hallways.

I saw an operating theater with windows — to the outside. As I looked at the trees and grass while standing next to the surgical table, I asked: “Do you open these? Ever?” When it gets hot, the Soviet doctors replied, nodding.

The American doctor was polite and professional, but at one point he leaned over to me and whispered that this was where American medicine was ... in 1890."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/02/18/sanders-embarassing-ineffective-better-than-trump-column/4787722002/

This article is by a "never Trumper" who will, if boxed in, vote for Sanders. I get that many will do that...vote while holding their noses. Heck, people voted that way for Trump...they didn't like him, but they didn't want things going liberal.

The question for Democrats is...are their enough "nose holders" on their side to defeat Trump?

I think it will be an uphill climb...
February 19th, 2020 at 3:23:26 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
Sure let's apply that idea across the board. You don't like the trappings of what comes with your financial status, you can be poor.

For instance, everybody laughs at the people who complain about the downside of fame, who wish to be left alone when it brings them negative things.

If someone doesn't like downside of being wealthy, they can not be wealthy if it bothers them so much.

No more tears for anyone.

Fine by me. With the exception of being upset about how much more of your money the government steals. Everyone has a right to be upset there.
The President is a fink.
February 19th, 2020 at 3:24:28 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: RonC

The question for Democrats is...are their enough "nose holders" on their side to defeat Trump?

I think it will be an uphill climb...

Why would anyone vote for a President who continually sees no limit to his powers and regularly says so, no limit to his personal secrecy, and no limit to attacking institutions he even has made direct appointments to and contradicts facts almost everyday?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 19th, 2020 at 3:26:36 PM permalink
rxwine
btw, I looked at the townhalls, and didn't spot the Wizard if he was there.
February 19th, 2020 at 3:31:45 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: rxwine
Why would anyone vote for a President who continually sees no limit to his powers and regularly says so, no limit to his personal secrecy, and no limit to attacking institutions he even has made direct appointments to and contradicts facts almost everyday?

Adding, and you think I want to see what he will be like with a new term?