I need you to come into work this weekend

April 8th, 2019 at 1:03:42 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: AcesAndEights
I have left jobs without something lined up. However, I had a lot of money saved up in those circumstances.

But I can see where you're coming from. Ideally you would have something lined up for sure, but if the job is literally impacting your health in a negative way (and it sounds like it is), it might be the best move just to get out.

Trying to squeeze in interviews while still working full time is definitely a pain in the ass. I went through that with my last job change.

Yeah it is very tough to try and interview while commuting and working 10-11 hour days - especially trying to interview at firms closer to home - almost impossible
April 8th, 2019 at 1:08:37 PM permalink
aceofspades
So, I wrote a short letter as there was zero opportunity to speak with the Owner directly:

An attorney friend of mine then texted me this about the protege:

The secretaries found out and they all told me I am the only reason that the firm is tolerable to work at - I am sure they told him he'd better not let me go

The Owner just called me while I was in Court and told me he wants to have a sit down tomorrow - told me he is saddened by my resignation and that he believes he can fix any issues I might have that would make me want to leave (riiiiiiiiight - because the "intervention" for the protege worked out so well)

I think the only way I would stay is if the following 3 conditions are met:

1-never work with the protege again (who has already told me I have to draft a motion for him tomorrow - despite the fact that three weeks ago there was a big meeting wherein I was told I would not have to work with him);

2-never work with the co-counsel again; and

3-a raise to allow me to rent an apartment in NYC without digging into my current income so I would not have a 4 hour round trip commute each workday (this is a huge ask and will 99% not happen but, go big or go home, right?)

I feel relieved having given the notice - it is definitely a freeing feeling
April 8th, 2019 at 1:12:31 PM permalink
aceofspades
Quote: Evenbob
If you haven't been hired somewhere
else, this is a big mistake. You'll see.

Bob - I know you are cheering for me to make as many mistakes as I can - gives you all the schadenfreude you crave
April 8th, 2019 at 1:58:48 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: aceofspades

3-a raise to allow me to rent an apartment in NYC without digging into my current income so I would not have a 4 hour round trip commute each workday (this is a huge ask and will 99% not happen but, go big or go home, right?)

How far out on Long Island are you? 4 hours?!

They will probably meet demand 1 and 2, for about three weeks. Then back to as it is now.
The President is a fink.
April 8th, 2019 at 2:12:10 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Bob - I know you are cheering for me to make as many mistakes as I can -

Does it sound like that's what I'm
doing? I don't think so.

As far as your demands, you might
have included a chauffeur driven
limo to pick you up every day, that's
how much chance there is of your
demands being met. ProtoPrick
has to leave, that's the only way
you would ever get any of it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 8th, 2019 at 2:14:02 PM permalink
aceofspades
Quote: AZDuffman
How far out on Long Island are you? 4 hours?!

They will probably meet demand 1 and 2, for about three weeks. Then back to as it is now.

Door-to-door commute is appx. 2 hours each way
April 8th, 2019 at 2:14:27 PM permalink
aceofspades
Quote: Evenbob
Does it sound like that's what I'm
doing? I don't think so.

As far as your demands, you might
have included a chauffeur driven
limo to pick you up every day, that's
how much chance there is of your
demands being met. ProtoPrick
has to leave, that's the only way
you would ever get any of it.

Agreed.
April 8th, 2019 at 2:17:40 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: AZDuffman
Then back to as it is now.

It will always go back to as it is now
as long as the ProtoJerk is there.
He see's no reason to change, why
would he. He views the people
under him as expendable. Like
in the Mafia movies, when a member
of the ranks expresses dissatisfaction,
the boss takes out a gun and shoots
him and asks if anybody else has
a problem.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 8th, 2019 at 2:20:49 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22

That just sounds intolerable on any level. I of course do not know your particular living situation, but since you are solo and not in any desire to find a partner, why don't you move near to your place of employment? I'd rather be in a small one bedroom apartment near work than commute 4 hours daily from my mansion.....

I think your letter of resignation was perfect. If they agree to terms 1 and 2 you KNOW that will only be temporary, and you will be in the same predicament a month or two from now.

As far as asking for a raise, using your long commute as a reason is worth ZERO. If you can show your worth at getting more cases settled, attracting more clients, doing research efficiently, etc., that would be something to bring up when asking for a raise.
If a doctor ever asked me for a raise because he lived far away I would have laughed. If he asked me for a raise because the surgeons liked him I would have considered it.
April 8th, 2019 at 2:25:03 PM permalink
Evenbob

Saw a video of a waitress in Queens
who makes $60K a year and has
a 2 bedroom apartment in Queens
for $950 a month. She lives quite
well on $60K a year. Isn't Queens
a better commute than LI?