I need you to come into work this weekend

June 22nd, 2019 at 5:01:27 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: DRich
Quote: petroglyph
https://www.yahoo.com/news/michigan-man-won-80-million-234817589.html

"Michigan Man Who Won $80 Million Lottery Jackpot During Divorce Ordered to Pay Half to Ex-Wife"

I don't think young guys that get married understand what that means. [and I say guys because I don't see women having to pay like I have seen men].

It just doesn't seem that you can actually ever leave them after say ten years of marriage. They will attach themselves to your earnings like a leach, for life. imo

I understand your point but in this case they were still married when he won it. The ruling makes sense to me.
"Though Dick and Mary Beth, who married in 2004 and share three children, were separated for two years at the time he won the Mega Million,"

Some people only stay married so the kids can receive benefits, or the marriage just isn't a marriage but the couple isn't hostile and the man "doesn't mind" if the woman gets some of his benefits or finishes school or something else. Or they agree to separate but stay married for some credit reason? When a couple has separated for two years, it is over except in name.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
June 22nd, 2019 at 7:43:42 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
When a couple has separated for two years, it is over except in name.

We need the opinion of a divorce
attorney. Ace? Can you give a free
opinion?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 22nd, 2019 at 8:06:52 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

Some people only stay married so the kids can receive benefits, or the marriage just isn't a marriage but the couple isn't hostile and the man "doesn't mind" if the woman gets some of his benefits or finishes school or something else. Or they agree to separate but stay married for some credit reason? When a couple has separated for two years, it is over except in name.

It may be, but "in name" matters. I used to run into this when I did mortgages, especially for people in CA. I remember one guy had to call his wife to get things signed. Said they just never divorced. I was like, "are you nuts?"

This is just another guy let a woman keep her hooks in him and pays the price. So glad I have never married.
The President is a fink.
June 22nd, 2019 at 8:11:23 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: AZDuffman
It may be, but "in name" matters. I used to run into this when I did mortgages, especially for people in CA. I remember one guy had to call his wife to get things signed. Said they just never divorced. I was like, "are you nuts?"

This is just another guy let a woman keep her hooks in him and pays the price. So glad I have never married.
I agree with this also.

I can't help but be biased in my opinion. My x will receive checks as long as she lives for what little contribution she made. My fault sure, but like 38% of other fathers at the time, I wouldn't leave my kids. Now I will be still paying from beyond the grave.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
June 23rd, 2019 at 10:06:56 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: Evenbob
We need the opinion of a divorce
attorney. Ace? Can you give a free
opinion?

I think the issue herein is not one of when he bought the ticket, but that they agreed to binding arbitration

The binding arbitration is what throws this for a loop

As I am not familiar with Michigan law I can only tell you that there is NY case law that states lottery tickets purchased after a divorce case was filed/served are the separate property of the owner of the ticket
June 23rd, 2019 at 11:12:00 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: aceofspades

As I am not familiar with Michigan law I can only tell you that there is NY case law that states lottery tickets purchased after a divorce case was filed/served are the separate property of the owner of the ticket

Agree with Ace. If at the time of the ticket purchase the two combatants were using separate accounts and not a shared pool account the ticket owner will not have to split the winnings. I think Ace will confirm though that the new millionaire might have to pay increased child support if there is a minor child involved.
June 23rd, 2019 at 3:39:02 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: SOOPOO
Agree with Ace. If at the time of the ticket purchase the two combatants were using separate accounts and not a shared pool account the ticket owner will not have to split the winnings. I think Ace will confirm though that the new millionaire might have to pay increased child support if there is a minor child involved.

I disagree as we would not know who's assets are who's until after the divorce is finalized. Maybe that dollar he spent for the ticket was destined for his wife.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
June 24th, 2019 at 9:09:28 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: DRich
I disagree as we would not know who's assets are who's until after the divorce is finalized. Maybe that dollar he spent for the ticket was destined for his wife.

Interesting you would say that. My assets were split with my ex after our legal separation agreement. We didn't finalize the divorce until 5 years later. She had no say in what I did with my assets and I had no say in what she did with her's after the separation agreement was agreed to.
June 26th, 2019 at 5:13:43 AM permalink
Mosca
So did a couple days go by with no drama? I'm surprised!
June 26th, 2019 at 6:30:47 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mosca
So did a couple days go by with no drama? I'm surprised!

Just taking a break for a word from our sponsors.....
The President is a fink.