I need you to come into work this weekend

June 26th, 2019 at 11:09:39 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Mosca
So did a couple days go by with no drama? I'm surprised!

Ace strings us along, then totally
disappears. Wait till he goes to Vegas
in July (if they let him go) and the
Protoprick gets a chance to work on
the boss full time to get rid of Ace.
Some lawyers in firms never take
vacations just for that reason.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 26th, 2019 at 12:47:56 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: Evenbob
Ace strings us along, then totally
disappears. Wait till he goes to Vegas
in July (if they let him go) and the
Protoprick gets a chance to work on
the boss full time to get rid of Ace.
Some lawyers in firms never take
vacations just for that reason.

Things have been smoother than usual lately - trying to keep my head down and my nose clean
Counting the days until VEGAS!
June 26th, 2019 at 3:54:34 PM permalink
aceofspades
I was getting ready to leave the office about 20 minutes ago when the Owner called to tell me he read the draft of a brief I was working on. He ripped into me for using the word "untrue" - yup, he declared that using the word "untrue" was "low class" and that our firm is "classy" - as such, wherever I had used the word "untrue", I was to replace it with "inaccurate"
June 26th, 2019 at 4:51:25 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: aceofspades
as such, wherever I had used the word "untrue", I was to replace it with "inaccurate"

Use 'erroneous' and see if he notices.
Or prevaricating, he won't know what
that means.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 27th, 2019 at 1:48:41 PM permalink
aceofspades
So I have been working all day on this brief - researching case law, writing it for the Owner to review — I bring it into him just now and after he reads the first 2 pages he puts it on the table, takes off his glasses and then turns to me and says “AOS, I need to ask you a serious question” — he then proceeds to ask: “Before I hired you, had you ever worked on a matrimonial case in your life?” — then shakes his head, continues reading and then was interrupted by a phone call so he excused me from his office - now I am waiting to hear more from his review of the draft

This is pure insanity and mental torture - yet, I need the paycheck
June 27th, 2019 at 1:54:32 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

This is pure insanity and mental torture - yet, I need the paycheck

Oh how I hated that feeling.
The President is a fink.
June 27th, 2019 at 2:31:52 PM permalink
Evenbob
I would say to him: I've worked here
for almost a year, you've seen most
of my work, I quit and you hired me
back, and now I'm all of a sudden
incompetent? I don't get it.
June 29th, 2019 at 9:40:39 AM permalink
aceofspades
June 29th, 2019 at 9:54:24 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61

Why did that guy just plagiarize USPS' SOP?

=p
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
July 2nd, 2019 at 6:46:59 AM permalink
aceofspades
So, The Owner just called me into his office - never a good sign as we have nothing on our calendars today where I would be working with him
Upon entering his office he motions for me to sit down and says he has a “serious matter” to discuss with me *GULP*
He proceeds to tell me that he has just noticed that I am taking 4 days vacation in July and 2 days vacation in August
(Here is some background: employees are given 16 days per year as PTO (paid time off) which begins and ends on your start date - I started last August 1st so that meant my PTO days had to be used up before August 1st of this year)
I reminded him that I had 4 PTO days left to use by August 1st and the other 2 days in August were coming out of my new cycle of 16 days for my new year
He then asked me to confirm with him that I had quite the from twice since I began working - I looked at him quizzically and replied that I had only quit one time - he then state that the time I walked out of Court when I was assisting the co-counsel (attorney that rents space fro him) in Court after he was verbally abusive to me and even the client told me not to take that nonsense and leave
I replied that I did not “quit” the firm that day and came into work the following Monday (the incident was on a Friday) and that the only time I quit was when I walked out after The Owner’s target harassment for 2 weeks straight culminating with his telling me I look like the Devil based on my hairstyle
The Owner then “corrected” me and stated that he views it as me quitting twice (even though I didn’t)
So, back to the vacation/PTO days -- he stated that when I quit, I lost all of my vacation/PTO days and therefore should not be taking any days off (of course, he also fails to mention that when I was returning he agreed to allow me to work from home one day per week which he reneged on)
He then asked me if I thought it was “fair” to all the other employees for me to take these vacation days (I thought to myself - they are all happy I am going away and all told me they are excited to hear about my trip)
I informed him that the only reason I took these days off is because the bookkeeper (now retired as of last week) told me I had them to use and that if I did not use them prior to August 1st I Would lose them -- The Owner responded by saying that bookkeeper does not pay my salary and that merely because she told me to use those days did not mean I actually could
However, the bookkeeper handle all HR for the firm and all employees relied on her to track their vacation/PTO - now, all of a sudden, I wasn’t supposed to rely on her? The Owner said she had no right to allow me those 4 days back and that I should have started from zero again and have to wait 3 months before they kicked in
I finally asked him what he wanted me to do - he replied (and this is a classic move of his) “Well, I want YOU to decide what you think is fair to me and the other employees after you quit twice - do you think you should have these vacation days?”
So, basically, I believe he wants me to cancel my vacation?
I am currently trying to calm down and try not to just scream F U and walking out!

Thoughts...?