I need you to come into work this weekend

August 1st, 2019 at 7:10:09 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: aceofspades
I took it extremely well, I hung out for a bit with the staff and ate some lunch
The hot chick attorney gave me some leads on firms she knows are hiring since she turned them down (and told me she regrets turning them down to work for the Owner)

Did you get a termination slip, or a reason for being fired?

Can you collect unemployment insurance and will the owner continue your health insurance while you are searching for new work?

This your first time?

Other than the inconvenience, I think it helps put a job in better perspective. We are all trading our time for pay.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 2nd, 2019 at 10:17:14 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: petroglyph
Did you get a termination slip, or a reason for being fired?

Can you collect unemployment insurance and will the owner continue your health insurance while you are searching for new work?

This your first time?

Other than the inconvenience, I think it helps put a job in better perspective. We are all trading our time for pay.

No termination slip (other than the info for unemployment) - the reason he gave me was he could no longer afford my salary

I am on hold with NY unemployment as they rejected my last claim when I walked out but the online system still thinks I am trying to apply under the old claim
August 2nd, 2019 at 11:35:30 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
I was just let go

Sorry, Doug, but really, what would you have had to turn into, to be successful in such a toxic workplace. Has to be a good day. If nothing else, since they fired you rather than you quitting, you can get unemployment.

I think you have to look at it as valuable experience in navigating treachery and backstabbing as long as you did, and just move on.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
August 2nd, 2019 at 11:43:18 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
No termination slip (other than the info for unemployment) - the reason he gave me was he could no longer afford my salary

Seems like you never stood a chance based solely on merit.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 2nd, 2019 at 11:52:20 AM permalink
aceofspades
Quote: beachbumbabs
Sorry, Doug, but really, what would you have had to turn into, to be successful in such a toxic workplace. Has to be a good day. If nothing else, since they fired you rather than you quitting, you can get unemployment.

I think you have to look at it as valuable experience in navigating treachery and backstabbing as long as you did, and just move on.

Thanks Babs - I am in AC this weekend for a blackjack tournament - winner take all $100k

I have a potential new client who wants to talk to me on Monday
August 3rd, 2019 at 9:25:21 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I'm pretty sure this is what happened.
Ace quits. The boss and protoprick
realize this leaves a gap they need
filled, so they hatch a plan. Lure Ace
back, quietly look for a new lawyer
to hire as cheap as they can, get
them trained, and fire Ace.

I thought it very odd when Ace
was asked to come back after
the way he was treated by the
owner and protojerk. This would
be the reason he was rehired.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 4th, 2019 at 11:47:27 AM permalink
aceofspades
Quote: Evenbob
I'm pretty sure this is what happened.
Ace quits. The boss and protoprick
realize this leaves a gap they need
filled, so they hatch a plan. Lure Ace
back, quietly look for a new lawyer
to hire as cheap as they can, get
them trained, and fire Ace.

I thought it very odd when Ace
was asked to come back after
the way he was treated by the
owner and protojerk. This would
be the reason he was rehired.

That is quite possible although unsure if the Owner has the wherewithal to concoct such a scheme
August 4th, 2019 at 12:28:29 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
That is quite possible although unsure if the Owner has the wherewithal to concoct such a scheme

He probably had nothing to with
inventing it, he just went along
with it. It made no sense that
they treated you so badly that
you quit, yet they wanted you
back. This was the reason. you
were already trained and ready,
they had to get your replacement
trained before they could let
you go. Bad for you, good deal
for them.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 5th, 2019 at 8:00:08 AM permalink
aceofspades
Quote: Evenbob
He probably had nothing to with
inventing it, he just went along
with it. It made no sense that
they treated you so badly that
you quit, yet they wanted you
back. This was the reason. you
were already trained and ready,
they had to get your replacement
trained before they could let
you go. Bad for you, good deal
for them.

Excellent deal for them
Not such a good deal for the clients I had worked with
August 7th, 2019 at 8:02:14 AM permalink
AcesAndEights
Threads: 6
So, The Owner just called me into his office - never a good sign as we have nothing on our calendars today where I would be working with him
Upon entering his office he motions for me to sit down and says he has a “serious matter” to discuss with me *GULP*
He proceeds to tell me that he has just noticed that I am taking 4 days vacation in July and 2 days vacation in August
(Here is some background: employees are given 16 days per year as PTO (paid time off) which begins and ends on your start date - I started last August 1st so that meant my PTO days had to be used up before August 1st of this year)
I reminded him that I had 4 PTO days left to use by August 1st and the other 2 days in August were coming out of my new cycle of 16 days for my new year
He then asked me to confirm with him that I had quite the from twice since I began working - I looked at him quizzically and replied that I had only quit one time - he then state that the time I walked out of Court when I was assisting the co-counsel (attorney that rents space fro him) in Court after he was verbally abusive to me and even the client told me not to take that nonsense and leave
I replied that I did not “quit” the firm that day and came into work the following Monday (the incident was on a Friday) and that the only time I quit was when I walked out after The Owner’s target harassment for 2 weeks straight culminating with his telling me I look like the Devil based on my hairstyle
The Owner then “corrected” me and stated that he views it as me quitting twice (even though I didn’t)
So, back to the vacation/PTO days -- he stated that when I quit, I lost all of my vacation/PTO days and therefore should not be taking any days off (of course, he also fails to mention that when I was returning he agreed to allow me to work from home one day per week which he reneged on)
He then asked me if I thought it was “fair” to all the other employees for me to take these vacation days (I thought to myself - they are all happy I am going away and all told me they are excited to hear about my trip)
I informed him that the only reason I took these days off is because the bookkeeper (now retired as of last week) told me I had them to use and that if I did not use them prior to August 1st I Would lose them -- The Owner responded by saying that bookkeeper does not pay my salary and that merely because she told me to use those days did not mean I actually could
However, the bookkeeper handle all HR for the firm and all employees relied on her to track their vacation/PTO - now, all of a sudden, I wasn’t supposed to rely on her? The Owner said she had no right to allow me those 4 days back and that I should have started from zero again and have to wait 3 months before they kicked in
I finally asked him what he wanted me to do - he replied (and this is a classic move of his) “Well, I want YOU to decide what you think is fair to me and the other employees after you quit twice - do you think you should have these vacation days?”
So, basically, I believe he wants me to cancel my vacation?
I am currently trying to calm down and try not to just scream F U and walking out!

Thoughts...?

Your job is very Kafkaesque. This is the most Kafkaesque Metallica song so I'm linking it here (also a great song). It's about bureaucracy and witch hunts. You certainly always seem to be pulling the shortest straw.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2pQ7EEzwC4

I'm 10 pages behind so can't wait to catch up on all the drama!
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob