The Gay Thread

February 27th, 2023 at 10:06:11 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I just heard the big righty CPAC conference is coming up but a lot of right wing stars are avoiding it
WTF
Then I found out why.
https://www.politico.com/news/2023/01/17/matt-schlapp-sued-sexual-assault-allegations-00078163
Dude
It's OK to be gay but you cant go about it like that
Sheesh
1st admit you are gay
Then go to a gay bar and hopefully you find somebody ok with a grope :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 28th, 2023 at 4:53:21 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: terapined
I just heard the big righty CPAC conference is coming up but a lot of right wing stars are avoiding it
WTF
Then I found out why.
https://www.politico.com/news/2023/01/17/matt-schlapp-sued-sexual-assault-allegations-00078163
Dude
It's OK to be gay but you cant go about it like that
Sheesh
1st admit you are gay
Then go to a gay bar and hopefully you find somebody ok with a grope :-)

Anyone with a half-decent gaydar has known for years that Matt Schlapp was queer.

Kathy Griffin had jokes about it in her stand up act.

He ain’t fooling anyone.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 28th, 2023 at 6:53:56 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: ams288
Anyone with a half-decent gaydar has known for years that Matt Schlapp was queer.

Kathy Griffin had jokes about it in her stand up act.

He ain’t fooling anyone.

I don't even have a Matt Schlapp-dar. Who is he? Do/should I care enough to look?
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
February 28th, 2023 at 6:59:40 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Mission146
I don't even have a Matt Schlapp-dar. Who is he? Do/should I care enough to look?

He’s a talking head on lots of cable news shows and he runs CPAC every year.

Don’t bother looking him up.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 3rd, 2023 at 9:38:25 AM permalink
terapined
Right wing nanny state is at it again
https://abcnews.go.com/US/public-drag-performances-restricted-tennessee/story?id=97605266
The absurdity and also hate
The horror of a kid seeing a man dressed as a woman
The horror
Somehow crazy rightys think this is indoctrination.
Its so anti freedom but there you have it
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 3rd, 2023 at 10:08:10 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Right wing nanny state is at it again
https://abcnews.go.com/US/public-drag-performances-restricted-tennessee/story?id=97605266
The absurdity and also hate
The horror of a kid seeing a man dressed as a woman
The horror
Somehow crazy rightys think this is indoctrination.
Its so anti freedom but there you have it

Firstly, Tennessee.

Secondly, qutoing from your source:

Quote:
The bill includes “topless dancers, go-go dancers, exotic dancers, strippers, male or female impersonators, or similar entertainers” in the definition of "adult cabaret performance."

In fairness, you might say they are dressing it up as not anti-LGBT, (though a person can be drag performing without actually having anything to do with any of those letters) but the other aspects of the law are certainly not unreasonable.

On the other hand, Indecent Exposure laws would have already covered everything else other than perhaps, "Go-Go Dancers," but I don't even know what the law means by Go-Go Dancers or what that term even means, really.

One difference with Indecent Exposure laws and this law is that this law graduates to a felony after a first conviction whereas their Indecent Exposure requires two previous convictions to become a felony.

One interesting aspect of this law is it would seem to conflict with the Tennessee Indecent Exposure law already on the books:

https://www.findlaw.com/state/tennessee-law/tennessee-indecent-exposure-laws.html#:~:text=Tennessee%20prohibits%20both%20indecent%20exposure,exposure%20laws%20are%20outlined%20below.

Specifically:

Quote:
Theater productions can contain nudity if it has serious artistic merit (for example, it isn't a prohibited sexual performance)
Theater companies won't owe the indecent exposure fine for nudity in a serious production

What's strange to me about that is that, it would seem, someone could still show the vag or cock-a-doodle-doo if the performance has, "Serious artistic merit," but the newly passed law would seem to imply that drag performances can NEVER have serious artistic merit. That seems not only discriminatory, and an infringement on Free Speech, but I also have to assume they were not huge fans of the 1996 hit movie, The Birdcage. It would apparently violate the law to do a theatrical reproduction of The Birdcage, even if there are no areolas, cock-a-doodles-doo or vag...which there were none of in the movie, either.

One thing to note is that the law would seem to only apply to people actually getting paid to perform.

Weird law. Totally unnecessary. But, again, Tennessee---what do you want?
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
March 3rd, 2023 at 10:21:24 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: Mission146
Firstly, Tennessee.

Secondly, qutoing from your source:

In fairness, you might say they are dressing it up as not anti-LGBT, (though a person can be drag performing without actually having anything to do with any of those letters) but the other aspects of the law are certainly not unreasonable.

On the other hand, Indecent Exposure laws would have already covered everything else other than perhaps, "Go-Go Dancers," but I don't even know what the law means by Go-Go Dancers or what that term even means, really.

One difference with Indecent Exposure laws and this law is that this law graduates to a felony after a first conviction whereas their Indecent Exposure requires two previous convictions to become a felony.

One interesting aspect of this law is it would seem to conflict with the Tennessee Indecent Exposure law already on the books:

https://www.findlaw.com/state/tennessee-law/tennessee-indecent-exposure-laws.html#:~:text=Tennessee%20prohibits%20both%20indecent%20exposure,exposure%20laws%20are%20outlined%20below.

Specifically:

What's strange to me about that is that, it would seem, someone could still show the vag or cock-a-doodle-doo if the performance has, "Serious artistic merit," but the newly passed law would seem to imply that drag performances can NEVER have serious artistic merit. That seems not only discriminatory, but I also have to assume they were huge fans of the 1996 hit movie, The Birdcage. It would apparently violate the law to do a theatrical reproduction of The Birdcage, even if there are no areolas, cock-a-doodles-doo or vag...which there were none of in the movie, either.

One thing to note is that the law would seem to only apply to people actually getting paid to perform.

Weird law. Totally unnecessary. But, again, TennesseeI---what do you want?

You miss the real intention of this law
It was specifically passed due to the upcoming huge gay pride parade
They think this parade indoctrinates kids
This is about shutting down or at least toning down the massive Gay Pride parade in Nashville, the biggest LGBT event in the state.
People just want to have fun at these parades dressing up
Well, TN just made some of the parade performances illegal
Its really sick hatred
March 3rd, 2023 at 10:25:30 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Was suddenly reminded of this: Covering Lady Justice.

"No longer will US Attorney General John Ashcroft appear in public with a semi-nude statue towering above him.
The US Justice Department has spent $8,000 on curtains to hide the statue from the cameras."

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 3rd, 2023 at 10:27:22 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Also $8000? A bikini top would do just fine.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 3rd, 2023 at 10:28:24 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator

You miss the real intention of this law
It was specifically passed due to the upcoming huge gay pride parade
They think this parade indoctrinates kids
This is about shutting down or at least toning down the massive Gay Pride parade in Nashville, the biggest LGBT event in the state.
People just want to have fun at these parades dressing up
Well, TN just made some of the parade performances illegal
Its really sick hatred

First of all, I don't see how this law restricts a gay pride parade.

Secondly, assuming I understood the law correctly, it's only unlawful to appear in public as a paid performer in drag; it's not unlawful to simply be in drag and also be performing--you just can't be getting paid to do so. The law would do nothing to prevent people marching in the gay pride parade (for free) from being in drag if they wish.

So, it's a bit more nuanced than what you're repping, but that's not unusual. I still agree that it's a ridiculous law for the reasons that I have already stated.