Page 20 of 22« First<171819202122>
May 11th, 2021 at 3:01:03 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Gandler
Alright this is is silly, here is the history from the treasury's website:

https://www.treasury.gov/about/education/pages/in-god-we-trust.aspx

There were coins during and after the Civil War due to some religious pressure and also the need to gain funds. It was not commonplace until the 1950-1960s when it was adopted as the standard motto on most bills and coins (the periods of the 50-60 it spread through various paperbills and other coins). It was added to the Pledge of Allegiance during 1954.....

This is the rollout history for paper money (IE what most people carry and use):

DENOMINATION PRODUCTION DELIVERY
$1 Federal Reserve Note February 12, 1964 March 11, 1964
$5 United States Note January 23, 1964 March 2, 1964
$5 Federal Reserve Note July 31, 1964 September 16, 1964
$10 Federal Reserve Note February 24, 1964 April 24, 1964
$20 Federal Reserve Note October 7, 1964 October 7, 1964
$50 Federal Reserve Note August 24, 1966 September 28, 1966
$100 Federal Reserve Note August 18, 1966 September 27, 1966

That'll teach those godless hippies who are always smoking that dope! JK
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 11th, 2021 at 3:12:00 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Alright this is is silly, here is the history from the treasury's website:

https://www.treasury.gov/about/education/pages/in-god-we-trust.aspx

There were coins during and after the Civil War due to some religious pressure and also the need to gain funds. It was not commonplace until the 1950-1960s when it was adopted as the standard motto on most bills and coins (the periods of the 50-60 it spread through various paperbills and other coins). It was added to the Pledge of Allegiance during 1954.....

This is the rollout history for paper money (IE what most people carry and use):

DENOMINATION PRODUCTION DELIVERY
$1 Federal Reserve Note February 12, 1964 March 11, 1964
$5 United States Note January 23, 1964 March 2, 1964
$5 Federal Reserve Note July 31, 1964 September 16, 1964
$10 Federal Reserve Note February 24, 1964 April 24, 1964
$20 Federal Reserve Note October 7, 1964 October 7, 1964
$50 Federal Reserve Note August 24, 1966 September 28, 1966
$100 Federal Reserve Note August 18, 1966 September 27, 1966

That is the history of it on paper money. Coins were much earlier dig a little deeper.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
May 11th, 2021 at 3:27:05 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Mission146
That'll teach those godless hippies who are always smoking that dope! JK

The easy fool proof test is just look at the coin sites. You will see many coins of different denominations with it. Not all maybe even less than 1/2 but far from rare. Here is an 1899 1/2 dollar

https://i.usacoinbook.com/img/500/1/1/8/1606510076b9e335e26d6753n.jpg
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
May 11th, 2021 at 3:38:25 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: kenarman
That is the history of it on paper money. Coins were much earlier dig a little deeper.

Come on, I have already posted this (multiple times), I know (including in the most recent quote you just made). I am talking about mainstream currency that is regularly printed, not a couple coins that pop up briefly in history. Also, the Pledge of Allegiance.

America is simply a secular country, first in the word (and still one of the only in the world). This is not the same as atheistic (Where the "State Religion" is Atheism and religious people are prosecuted like certain European/Asian communist countries). Being secular means we simply have no State religion (or non-religion) and everyone is treated equally under the law. Only a secular country can have true freedom of religion.

Israel is a Jewish country, which I don't love the concept of, but it is understandable in historical and geographical context, and I support Israel, great country. Andrew Yang was 100% correct in his defense. Would I personally prefer that they became secular? Probably, but its not going to happen (anymore than all of their neighbors becoming secular), and that is for them to decide. And, as the only Jewish Country in the world (unlike Christianity and Islam which control countless countries), it is always alarming when people insist that Israel should become secular, it is usually code for Israel being removed from the map (which is why I am less critical of Israel being religious)....
May 11th, 2021 at 3:53:14 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: kenarman
The easy fool proof test is just look at the coin sites. You will see many coins of different denominations with it. Not all maybe even less than 1/2 but far from rare. Here is an 1899 1/2 dollar

https://i.usacoinbook.com/img/500/1/1/8/1606510076b9e335e26d6753n.jpg

Yes, I love Morgan Dollars, and it has both, (Heads from many one, and then the tails has the In God We Trust above the Eagle). Newer coins are reverse (In God We Trust big on the front, and from many one kind of blended into the back). But this is getting into obscure coin trivia over a relatively minor point in my original comment. Most people agree that the 1950s-1960s is when this was changed (because for most Americans that is when it was noticed on mainstream currency and the Pledge).
https://coinauctionshelp.com/1878-CC_Morgan_Dollar.html

I am honestly not sure what kind of half dollar that is, but having in God We Trust on the Head and no From Many One at all, I think is pretty unique for that time period (could be wrong, don't know anything about that coin).

For example I think the original Pledge of Allegiance is far more powerful:
https://www.va.gov/opa/publications/celebrate/pledge.pdf

"I pledge allegiance to my Flag and
to the Republic for which it stands:
one Nation indivisible, with Liberty
and Justice for all."
May 12th, 2021 at 5:47:49 PM permalink
Gandler
https://nypost.com/2021/05/12/andrew-yang-apologizes-for-pro-israel-tweet/

Well, I have to give Yang some credit for standing his ground. But, he did give in to outrage a bit from very nefarious Palestine activists. Its kind of sad that such a movement is becoming so mainstream on the left.

For those that do not know "From the River to the Sea Palestine will be Free" is the sentiment that the whole territory belongs to Palestinians (I mention that because that phrase is on many banners and T-shirts that you see in the activists groups). It essentially is the modern movement to wipe Israel off of the map (they do not support a two state solution). To be fair most people that wear these shirts are gullible idiots who are given them for rallies without knowing the true meaning (you see a lot at random college anti-Israel events).... But, many are truly anti-semitic.
May 13th, 2021 at 2:47:53 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Well, I have to give Yang some credit for standing his ground. But, he did give in to outrage a bit from very nefarious Palestine activists. Its kind of sad that such a movement is becoming so mainstream on the left.

We've been monthly contributors to his campaign from the beginning, but he's done for. No key endorsements, and now, AOC has destroyed any support he might have had in the Muslim community.

"But “progressive” Democrats attacked Yang, calling him. “white supremacist” and urging New Yorkers to oppose him. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) even encouraged Muslims not to host him at communal religious celebrations."

"Utterly shameful for Yang to try to show up to an Eid event after sending out a chest-thumping statement of support for a strike killing 9 children, especially after his silence as Al-Aqsa was attacked," she tweeted. "But then to try that in Astoria? During Ramadan?! They will let you know." - AOC
May 13th, 2021 at 8:39:51 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

I have areal problem with Israel declaring Jerusalem their capital
Its anti peace
It inflames everybody
No religion should take over Jerusalem and declare it their capital
Its disgusting
All religions should be equal in Jerusalem, Jewish, Christians and Muslims
I'm fine with the the Jewish religion
I am not fine with Israel govt
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 13th, 2021 at 8:52:13 AM permalink
Gandler
Quote: terapined
I have areal problem with Israel declaring Jerusalem their capital
Its anti peace
It inflames everybody
No religion should take over Jerusalem and declare it their capital
Its disgusting
All religions should be equal in Jerusalem, Jewish, Christians and Muslims
I'm fine with the the Jewish religion
I am not fine with Israel govt

All abrahamic religions fantasize about Jerusalem. I am pretty sure the Vatican would seize Jerusalem if they thought they could get away with it. In my view,

But, the reality on the ground is borders matter. And, it is part of Isreal. And, religions are treated equally in Isreal (in Palestine this is not the case).

Whenever people want to erase Israel from the map there are usually other motives behind it.
May 13th, 2021 at 9:04:03 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
All abrahamic religions fantasize about Jerusalem. I am pretty sure the Vatican would seize Jerusalem if they thought they could get away with it. In my view,

But, the reality on the ground is borders matter. And, it is part of Isreal. And, religions are treated equally in Isreal (in Palestine this is not the case).

Whenever people want to erase Israel from the map there are usually other motives behind it.

Should Jerusalem be the Capital of Israel
I say NO
How about you
I want peace in the region
It aint going to easy
One step towards peace is to not have any religion declare Jerusalem their capital
I'm not anti Jew
I am pro peace
The religious nuts are the problem
If you need to grab a gun to go pray somewhere , too me, thats evil and the devils work. Thats common in Jerusalem
To possibly murder a human being because they are preventing you from praying at a certain spot.
Christians, Jews and Muslims are to blame for this
Its just shocking that a religious person would consider killing another human being.
DISGUSTING
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
Page 20 of 22« First<171819202122>