Israel deny entry for American congresswomen

Page 4 of 8<1234567>Last »
August 16th, 2019 at 7:42:45 AM permalink
quadriga
Threads: 0
Based on free speech, Israel has repeatedly allowed entry to Fascists and anti-semitic white supremacists. Gavin Mclnnes, founder of white nationalist Proud Boys who wrote 10 Things I Hate About Jews, visited Israel. Milo Yiannopolous was linked to Neo-Nazism and he was welcomed by Israel.

By banning the 2 congresswomen, Israel gives more credibility to the BDS movement and undermines its own credibility as a state that prides on freedom of expression, the only democracy in the middle east.

Remember, U.S. Congress overwhelmingly passed an anti-BDS resolution last month. Omar and Tlaib support BDS but they are outliers in Congress. All members of Congress should be allowed to visit. Israeli agencies had already agreed to allow the visit. Then Trump pressured Netanyahu.

This is about Netanyahu being used as a puppet by Trump. Trump makes Netanyahu and Israel look weak.
August 16th, 2019 at 9:46:07 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: AZDuffman
They enjoy free speech,

Maybe their citizens do, but clearly not their tourists.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
August 16th, 2019 at 9:54:57 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard

I meant the members of the squad. Entry to a country is a privilege not a right.
The President is a fink.
August 16th, 2019 at 12:35:07 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Gandler
From the Official PM of Israel Twitter:

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu:
No country in the world respects America and the American Congress more than the State of Israel.

As a free and vibrant democracy, Israel is open to critics and criticism

with one exception: Israeli law prohibits the entry into Israel of those who call for and work to impose boycotts on Israel, as do other democracies that prohibit the entry of people who seek to harm the country.

In fact, in the past the US did this to an Israeli member of Knesset, as well as to other public figures from around the world.

Congresswomen Tlaib and Omar are leading activists in promoting the legislation of boycotts against Israel in the American Congress.

Only a few days ago, we received their itinerary for their visit in Israel, which revealed that they planned a visit whose sole objective is to strengthen the boycott against us and deny Israel’s legitimacy.

For instance: they listed the destination of their trip as Palestine and not Israel, and unlike all Democratic and Republican members of Congress who have visited Israel, they did not request to meet any Israeli officials, either from the government or the opposition.

A week ago, Israel warmly welcomed some 70 Democratic and Republican members of Congress, who expressed broad bipartisan support for Israel, which was also demonstrated a month ago in a resounding bipartisan vote against BDS in Congress.

However, the itinerary of the two Congresswomen reveals that the sole purpose of their visit is to harm Israel and increase incitement against it.

In addition, the organization that is funding their trip is Miftah, which is an avid supporter of BDS, and among whose members are those who have expressed support for terrorism against Israel.

Therefore, the minister of interior has decided not to allow their visit, and I, as prime minister, support his decision.

Nonetheless, if Congresswoman Tlaib submits a humanitarian request to visit her relatives, the minister of interior has announced that he will consider her request on the condition that she pledges not to act to promote boycotts against Israel during her visit.

-End Thread-
https://twitter.com/IsraeliPM/status/1162039740599812096

This is a very reasonable response to an unreasonable visit. They were going there to drum up support for Palestine and promote BDS. It was an anti-Israel publicity stunt. I am glad Israel is finally banning more BDS people, they have been too soft for too long..... They have laws in place that allow them to be much more firm, I hope that they continue to use them...

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu:
“[T]he itinerary of the two Congresswomen reveals that their sole purpose is to harm Israel and increase incitement against it. In addition, the organization that is funding their trip is Miftah, which is an avid supporter of BDS, and among whose members are those who have expressed support for terrorism against Israel.”

If visiting Miftah is an issue, why were Reps. MATT CARTWRIGHT (D-Pa.), DAN KILDEE (D-Mich.), MARK POCAN (D-Wis.), LUIS GUTIERREZ (D-Ill.) and HANK JOHNSON (D-Ga.) allowed to visit Miftah in 2016? They met with PLO officials and MIFTAH board members.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 16th, 2019 at 3:07:58 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27

The same can be said about any country (including the UK), countries do not extend the same protections to non-citizens as citizens....

If you are a citizen of a country you are free to protest in the country, but if you are an outsider, generally the country can ban you. This of course is a gross simplification, but the point is citizens always get more rights than tourists, and I think that is fair and reasonable.
August 16th, 2019 at 3:16:08 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
If you are a citizen of a country you are free to protest in the country, but if you are an outsider, generally the country can ban you. This of course is a gross simplification, but the point is citizens always get more rights than tourists, and I think that is fair and reasonable.

So do I. They can admit who they want.

I've always wanted to go to visit Israel, but I'm not sure I would be welcome if they knew my opinions on Zionism.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
August 16th, 2019 at 3:18:32 PM permalink
Gandler
So do I. They can admit who they want.

I've always wanted to go to visit Israel, but I'm not sure I would be welcome if they knew my opinions on Zionism.

Lots of protestors go there, as long as your trip does not revolve around BDSM activities, there should be no issue.

Trust me, there are far more dangerous countries to go to of your intent is to protest, Israel will actually protect you, even if you get barred from future visits...
August 16th, 2019 at 3:55:02 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
This is a well researched documentary that explains Israeli influence on Congress.

https://electronicintifada.net/content/watch-film-israel-lobby-didnt-want-you-see/25876
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 16th, 2019 at 4:00:19 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: petroglyph
This is a well researched documentary that explains Israeli influence on Congress.

https://electronicintifada.net/content/watch-film-israel-lobby-didnt-want-you-see/25876

Al Jazeera is state media.

I have never heard of that site, but it looks to be full of Zionist conspiracy theories.
August 16th, 2019 at 4:06:34 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Al Jazeera is state media.

I have never heard of that site, but it looks to be full of Zionist conspiracy theories.
Everybody wants to attack the source, without reviewing what's in it.

Facts come from all kinds of places and many times from places we don't like.

You seem to have already made up your mind, I hope not. Why does any statement that has the word "Zionist" in it, have to be a conspiracy?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
Page 4 of 8<1234567>Last »