First Principles

January 13th, 2020 at 1:36:48 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
It is an internal voice of my conscience. I kniw it us God because of discernment.

Not to be offensive, but you're
aware that crazy people say the
same thing. God told me to do
this or that bad act. They are
just as convinced it's god as
you are. I'm convinced it's
unconvincing as proof of anything
except an active imagination and
hearing what you think you should
hear.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 13th, 2020 at 3:48:44 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
So you're saying you've never experienced an inner inspiration to do something or encouragement.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 13th, 2020 at 3:59:56 PM permalink
Evenbob
So you're saying you've never experienced an inner inspiration

I've had dots connect to show
me a bigger picture, but that's
how our brains work. We're
constantly looking for patterns,
trying to make sense of things.
If I got an inspiration I would
just assume it was me working
on a problem. I would certainly
never blame some god for it.
Down that rode lies superstition
and confusion.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 13th, 2020 at 5:01:06 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
So you're saying you've never experienced an inner inspiration to do something or encouragement.

I do what I think is right all the time and I never hear from God.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
January 13th, 2020 at 5:28:32 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: kenarman
I do what I think is right all the time and I never hear from God.

Are you sure?

How do you know what is right?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 13th, 2020 at 6:23:10 PM permalink
kenarman
Are you sure?

How do you know what is right?

I can turn that question right back to you. Yes I know your invisible friend tells you. I don't need an invisible friend to tell me, the human brain is usually pretty good at figuring it out.
January 13th, 2020 at 9:19:29 PM permalink
Evenbob
Are you sure? How do you know what is right?

From what we're taught. You never
raised a kid. You spend half your
time telling them what's right
and what's wrong. Cause they
don't know not to pull sisters
hair and make her cry. Or not
to hit the dog with a bat. Or
not to be selfish and share.

You do this constantly. If you
don't correct them and just
say, listen to the voice of god
inside you, and do what it says,
the kid will do whatever he
likes thinking it's OK. You'll end
up with a monster on your hands.
January 14th, 2020 at 5:02:26 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: kenarman
I can turn that question right back to you. Yes I know your invisible friend tells you. I don't need an invisible friend to tell me, the human brain is usually pretty good at figuring it out.

This might get us back closer to how this thread began. What are your principles concerning what is right? Do you really think the human brain is pretty good at figuring it out? Because every newspaper and history book will show you that you are wrong about that.
I know what is right based on the teachings of Jesus Christ. These include loving others as yourself, the Golden rule, go the extra mile, preferential option for the poor, love involves sacrifice and giving of yourself, the infinite dignity of human life, all are equal in God's eyes, the natural law, and much more.

What are your guiding principles?
January 14th, 2020 at 7:55:49 AM permalink
kenarman
This might get us back closer to how this thread began. What are your principles concerning what is right? Do you really think the human brain is pretty good at figuring it out? Because every newspaper and history book will show you that you are wrong about that.
I know what is right based on the teachings of Jesus Christ. These include loving others as yourself, the Golden rule, go the extra mile, preferential option for the poor, love involves sacrifice and giving of yourself, the infinite dignity of human life, all are equal in God's eyes, the natural law, and much more.

What are your guiding principles?

I live my life by the same principles you do Padre but I don't need either the love or fear of a God to do so. The golden rule is a universal standard that every religion has and is probably the only thing you really need to believe as it covers most of the rest of your list. I have spent most of my life volunteering and currently volunteer more hours than I work for pay. It is just the right thing to do and the majority of people will help when asked, is this because of God? You can probably answer yes to that question because you believe we were all created by God and that was part of his plan. I don't believe that answer but believe that millennial of evolution have pushed all species in to co-operation as the best survival strategy. We can never determine who's answer is right, but unlike you, I don't think it matters since we both agree that what is being done is right. I am sure that I have mentioned this before but part of my overriding life philosophy is that I choose to be happy. Many people feel that outside forces create their happiness or lack thereof. They mostly go through life unhappy and look at others to blame for this unhappiness. I find it easier to deals with life's ups and downs from a grounding of happiness.
January 14th, 2020 at 9:52:09 AM permalink
Evenbob
Do you really think the human brain is pretty good at figuring it out? Because every newspaper and history book will show you that you are wrong about that.

So you think looking at the news
in an old newspaper from 200
years ago it will show you all the
bad news AND good news of
the day? It will show you the
uncountable number of kindnesses
and moral and 'right' things
people did that day, along with
the bad things reported in the news?
Really, I mean REALLY???