No votes (0%)
1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

May 9th, 2020 at 2:45:58 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: AZDuffman
And none of that stuff was used. None of it. Anyone who makes ventalators might as well go out of business as we are oversupplied for a decade.

As to nursing homes yes, Cuomo has blood on his hands. NYers will re-elect him so he need not worry. But the regular flu would likely have had similar results with similar inputs.

Those things were done because of all the news on it. Because of all the buildup. History will not be kind to 2020.

You absolutely, positively, have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Head in the sand. Period. I have colleagues in the big New York hospitals that relay horror stories of the number of regular patient floors transformed into ICUs, and countless more ventilators used there than was ever foreseen. That patients were in lobbies of hospitals because they had no where else to put them. The Central Park overflow site was full! The Javits Center, though not full, certainly helped empty a few freaking lobbies.

So, as I generally agree with you, whiny Cuomo asking for a billion ventilators was a bit much.

Get it through your head. It was bad. Very bad. Something never seen in your or my lifetime. Argue about if the response was warranted. But don't be someone who sounds like 'the earth is flat because that's what it looks like to me'. Use your brain.

By the way, Cuomo just extended his "pause order" until June 6.
May 9th, 2020 at 3:17:56 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: SOOPOO

By the way, Cuomo just extended his "pause order" until June 6.

As Limbaugh predicted. Extend it two weeks at a time every two weeks. But I predict by then most of the rest will be opened.

This might make things hard for the NFL as if one team cannot open none can open is the NFL ruling.
The President is a fink.
May 10th, 2020 at 5:06:34 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
As Limbaugh predicted. Extend it two weeks at a time every two weeks. But I predict by then most of the rest will be opened.

He had the worst problem; it isn't unreasonable to think that his state might be slowest to move forward. I don't know what that does for the people who are supposedly locked down but still getting infected...is that because the few that go out are bringing it back, or is it spreading in air handling systems that they have little control over? NYC is such a dense space. That makes it different than the majority of places.

This might make things hard for the NFL as if one team cannot open none can open is the NFL ruling.

The NFL can wait. I love sports, but when they start back up is far from the most important thing on my mind.

I am glad NASCAR is running again starting this week, but they have modified everything to minimize contact and keep all of the folks in one geographical area close to most of their individual team bases. If they find that it doesn't work out, they can always pause again...and that would be okay.
May 10th, 2020 at 5:13:42 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: RonC
He had the worst problem; it isn't unreasonable to think that his state might be slowest to move forward. I don't know what that does for the people who are supposedly locked down but still getting infected...is that because the few that go out are bringing it back, or is it spreading in air handling systems that they have little control over? NYC is such a dense space. That makes it different than the majority of places.

They should use commonsense and let everything upstate of NYC open. Upstate pays for the sins of downstate too often.
The President is a fink.
May 10th, 2020 at 6:28:00 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: RonC

Read my posts(rants) about Cuomo, and I guess DeBlasio as well. It is a fake lockdown. Cuomo made a joke list of "essential" services, and as the subway system experienced massive manpower losses (sick, deaths, call ins), thus decreasing number/frequency of trains, the subways just got too crowded with fake "essential" workers. Dry cleaners, debt collectors, stock brokers, accountants, pizza bakers, bottle redemption workers, computer salesmen, etc... If the subways had been full of only real essential workers, (doctors, nurses, police, firemen) then NYC would have had a chance.
May 10th, 2020 at 6:35:00 AM permalink
SOOPOO
They should use commonsense and let everything upstate of NYC open. Upstate pays for the sins of downstate too often.

I'm not saying Erie County should not re-open. But we are a 'hotspot' now, probably on the plateau phase. We don't make the news much because of the great job our local hospital leaders have done in preparing for the overflow of COVID-19 patients. One hospital, St. Joe's, is SOLELY a COVID-19 hospital, with 5 times as many ICU beds as it had before the crisis. Early March they emptied out ALL of its patients to other hospitals, and actually sat vacant until we started getting hammered.

But the rest of Upstate is opening a bit, despite the continued pause order. I believe elective surgeries will be allowed throughout the state (except the Counties, like mine, that are still hard hit).

My point is... consider Buffalo/Erie County more like NYC than the rest of "upstate".
May 10th, 2020 at 7:40:44 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Read my posts(rants) about Cuomo, and I guess DeBlasio as well. It is a fake lockdown. Cuomo made a joke list of "essential" services, and as the subway system experienced massive manpower losses (sick, deaths, call ins), thus decreasing number/frequency of trains, the subways just got too crowded with fake "essential" workers. Dry cleaners, debt collectors, stock brokers, accountants, pizza bakers, bottle redemption workers, computer salesmen, etc... If the subways had been full of only real essential workers, (doctors, nurses, police, firemen) then NYC would have had a chance.

"Essential" gets murky. Medical, cops, firemen. Sure they are essential. But how does that doctor function when nobody is getting paid because the accountant had to stay home sick?

I am working from home, but my industry is essential. Without us, mortgages stop. You cannot sell your house. You cannot refinance. When that goes down, the financial markets freeze up as mortgages brought the system down in 2008. The stock broker staying home likewise freezes things up, meaning no stimulus checks.

The overcrowding in NYC and other megacities is such that it is really only a matter of time before this kind of thing happens. It will happen again and again.
The President is a fink.
May 10th, 2020 at 9:13:56 AM permalink
SOOPOO
"Essential" gets murky. Medical, cops, firemen. Sure they are essential. But how does that doctor function when nobody is getting paid because the accountant had to stay home sick?

I am working from home, but my industry is essential. Without us, mortgages stop. You cannot sell your house. You cannot refinance. When that goes down, the financial markets freeze up as mortgages brought the system down in 2008. The stock broker staying home likewise freezes things up, meaning no stimulus checks.

The overcrowding in NYC and other megacities is such that it is really only a matter of time before this kind of thing happens. It will happen again and again.

Accountant and stockbrokers can work remotely. But I agree with you. All jobs are essential, if we define the MAIN function of a job being to make a living. I'm guessing you are working not out of love for the mortgage industry!

So, AZ, what is your take on the private home real estate market? Will I be able to get the $500,000 house (today) in The Villages for $400,000 in August?
May 10th, 2020 at 9:25:05 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Accountant and stockbrokers can work remotely. But I agree with you. All jobs are essential, if we define the MAIN function of a job being to make a living. I'm guessing you are working not out of love for the mortgage industry!

So, AZ, what is your take on the private home real estate market? Will I be able to get the $500,000 house (today) in The Villages for $400,000 in August?

Some are able to work from home, some not. In my place we get hundreds of UPS a day. I mean they are stacked everywhere. It would be a mess to try to do that remote. I work from home, I don't wear shoes all week.

Housing is all local. Northers suburban Buffalo is insane. People discovered Amherst then Clarence. Other places houses sit. I more know the mortgage market. I predict that goes below 3% for most non-jumbos by late summer.
The President is a fink.
May 10th, 2020 at 10:32:39 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

It's the vertical effect. Where most
people live and work vertically in
skyscraper apartments and office
buildings, and touch the same
surfaces and breathe the same
air, it will be awful.

Most of the rest of the country
lives horizontally in houses and
2 story apartments. We have
700K people in my county and
40 deaths so far. More people
have done suicide because of
a cancelled sports season, probably.

Living vertically is like living on a
ship at sea. Disease used to wipe
out entire crews, that's where
ghost ships come from. Live
vertically, pay the price of close
quarter problems.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.