15 members have voted

May 14th, 2020 at 7:01:43 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: terapined
WTF
Fauci does not think schools should open
Trump wants schools to open. He's Mr Death
WTF does this have to do with the economy.
Its unsafe to open the schools but Trump disagrees with science
We are now finding insidious problems in children due to this virus
Lets stay safe and keep the kids safe. Our economy does not depend on grade schools.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/05/13/coronavirus-trump-says-schools-should-open-fall-fauci/5187530002/
Trump says schools should 'absolutely open' this fall, says Fauci did not give 'acceptable answer'

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/13/health/coronavirus-children-kawasaki-pmis.ht

WTF

"Fauci suggested instead that schools open cautiously, and said in some places schools should remain closed in the fall. He said if states reopen before meeting the criteria set out by the Trump administration, they risk reprisals of the outbreak."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/13/politics/donald-trump-anthony-fauci-schools-reopening/index.html

There is not a "one size fits all" way to handle this pandemic. There are 50 states and many, many local governments. There are hard decisions to be made and some schools will stay closed. The kids who were already behind due to parents who don't give a crap or have to work so many hours that they can't help their kids, the ones that people say they care so much about, will be the ones to suffer the most because the structure that they had is gone. You have to balance that against the disease....and it sucks. Many of them don't get regular meals. Those meals come from school programs.

Our economy does depend on these kids getting an education and becoming successful members of society. They are the future of our country. We can't let them continue to fall behind. Balancing that with safety is a high-wire act.

Yes, of course we have to be considered about the Kawasaki-like symptoms that are appearing.

We also need to understand that fall is nearly three months away and that things could change by then. We have to have flexibility to change plans as we go.
May 14th, 2020 at 7:40:13 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/greatest-increases-of-covid-deaths-projected-in-republican-states-193205068.html
Greatest increases of COVID deaths projected in Republican states

I'm not surprised. Really sad so many republicans in power did not do their job resulting in more innocent Americans dying.
Sad

Let's talk about this in a year or two. The key word is PROJECTED, the models have all been so perfect so far.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
May 14th, 2020 at 7:50:12 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: kenarman
Let's talk about this in a year or two. The key word is PROJECTED, the models have all been so perfect so far.

True. I’m old enough to remember when some righties were prematurely crediting Donny with keeping the death toll down to around 60,000.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
May 14th, 2020 at 7:53:37 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: kenarman

ROTFL
Wait a year or two?????????
Why not discuss now as the cases go up and we can develop policies to save lives.
This is scary for rural areas. They just don't have the hospital support urban areas have
Its scary as some areas in the country with a decent population have to drive hours for medical care as opposed to me where I can actually walk to an emergency room from my house.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 14th, 2020 at 8:32:39 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: RonC

Our economy does depend on these kids getting an education and becoming successful members of society. They are the future of our country. We can't let them continue to fall behind. Balancing that with safety is a high-wire act.

What the keep-it-closed crowd does not realize is if the kids are home then parents have a far harder time going back to work. Good points on it not being one-size-fits-all. Given the concentration in the NY-NJ-Boston corridor most of the rest should reopen.
The President is a fink.
May 14th, 2020 at 8:56:42 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
ROTFL
Wait a year or two?????????
Why not discuss now as the cases go up and we can develop policies to save lives.
This is scary for rural areas. They just don't have the hospital support urban areas have
Its scary as some areas in the country with a decent population have to drive hours for medical care as opposed to me where I can actually walk to an emergency room from my house.

No point in discussing it now because it is projection being put out with political spin. It is like me saying that New York has the worst outbreak because they are democrats. You always claim to want things studied, we won't really know the facts and true stats about this pandemic for years and even then there will probably be at least two versions depending on your politics.

The rural areas are doing fine. I live in a small town and most people here are going about their business normally if they are able. Covid is a topic of discussion but not the fear that appears to be in the large cities. I have continued working in construction for the whole crisis. Sometimes there are several people on site and sometimes like yesterday I drove 100 miles one way to the job site and back and was the only person on site.

You are right if we had an explosion of Covid our small hospital would soon be overcome. Your hospital would also be overcome if you had an outbreak like New York City did. Society needs to get on with life and not give in to the fear of the 'what ifs'.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
May 14th, 2020 at 9:12:26 AM permalink
RonC
Sometimes, numbers can be used to create scenarios that is far from the full picture.

There was an alert yesterday, wildly played up on the news around here, about the increase in confirmed cases in our county being on the radar nationally as a new hot spot.

They did increase. We also increased from a couple of testing sites to five sites very recently. Tests once reserved for those mentioning systems are now more widely available without long waits.

The number of cases went up 100 in a week. That is about 6.8%. While that is a percentage that I would like to see lower, how much of it is attributable to increased testing...perhaps of people with minor symptoms or even that are asymptomatic? If we increase testing for just about anything, we will find more of it. I am glad that these cases are being found because those people, and the ones they have been in contact with, can take proper care of themselves and others to stop the spread/

The four zip codes in our end of the county have 25 cases total. We are more rural, which seems to be a good thing.

I still do curbside pickup when I can and wear a mask. I am not ignoring the problem, but I also am not living in fear of it.

I have a friend that is already talking about a wedding in December not being safe for him to attend. He and his wife have spent the entire lock down on their ranch with only minor excursions for food. They are watching all of the news and have lost touch with reality. Reality is that we don't know where we will be in a month, two months, etc. Giving up on any semblance of normalcy months out is ridiculous.
May 14th, 2020 at 10:35:20 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I'm hearing mixed messages.

Open it up.

don't open the schools

open the schools

cancel the democrat primary in wisconsin - no you can't.

postpone the november presidential election.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
May 14th, 2020 at 10:50:03 AM permalink
RonC
Quote: Dalex64
I'm hearing mixed messages.
Open it up.
don't open the schools
open the schools

The states will have different plans moving forward. No "one size fits all" will work. It is gong to be a moving target for a while.

cancel the democrat primary in wisconsin - no you can't.

They have to follow the rules; some things just can't be shut down without regard to the rules.

Ipostpone the november presidential election.

I have not heard that one...

We don't even know the "real" death toll; all we know is that whatever amount is more than anyone wanted to lose to this disease. Some say that deaths are being attributed to Covid-19 that should not be and other say more should be attributed to it. Money is involved. Money often corrupts things.
May 14th, 2020 at 11:15:13 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: RonC

I have a friend that is already talking about a wedding in December not being safe for him to attend. He and his wife have spent the entire lock down on their ranch with only minor excursions for food. They are watching all of the news and have lost touch with reality. Reality is that we don't know where we will be in a month, two months, etc. Giving up on any semblance of normalcy months out is ridiculous.

Tell them to turn off the flipping news. 30 mins a day is all you need. It will just feed their fear.
The President is a fink.