No votes (0%)
1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

July 30th, 2020 at 3:40:29 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Mission146
I'm just surprised that any of the HOA stuff became political. I don't think it speaks to political proclivities at all. I think it's just a bunch of perfectionists who want to live in absolutely pristine conditions that want to be surrounded by other perfectionists who think the same way. "A place for everything and everything in its place," type folks.

I don't go around asking everyone who lives in an HOA and who doesn't, but I do know there are any number of people of all political ilks who come off as obsessive about cleanliness and presentation to the point of perfectionism.

Yeah I don't get it either, its a quality of life issue, you either like HOAs or you don't.... Either is fine.... But, judgment is not, don't live in one if you don't like them, its as simple as that.... Nobody is forcing you into buying into a HOA development....
July 30th, 2020 at 3:44:07 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
We bought a nice place here in Havasu, with a lake view, pool etc. I didn't know it at the time, [my fault for not knowing] that there really aren't any restrictions. The neighbor beside me turns out to be a hoarder of junk Harley's, rv's, cyclone fencing pieces and whatever else. Several old bbq's. bathtubs and other misc.

I found out the last person that lived here had called the police on them multiple times and there is nothing that can be done except move. Then in another 45* of our lake view, a retiring Cali couple bought two lots and combined them to build an 80ft. plus 18ft. tall boat garage across our view. Now, I try not to even look west toward the lake.

I talked with the realtor and jokingly asked if they could bring in several RV's and rent them. The realtor says yes they can, no law against it here.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 30th, 2020 at 3:52:26 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: petroglyph

I talked with the realtor and jokingly asked if they could bring in several RV's and rent them. The realtor says yes they can, no law against it here.

This is why I bought into a HOA
To protect my investment.
So nobody moves next door and places a bunch of run down RV's making my place less attractive and value goes down
I was in the HOA for 17 years
My investment increased, a lot of it due to the HOA making the neighborhood look beautiful
I'm cashing out. Thrilled with the price I got. Buyer willing to pay a lot because HOA protecting their investment for a future sell. Closing next week :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 30th, 2020 at 3:57:55 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
We bought a nice place here in Havasu, with a lake view, pool etc. I didn't know it at the time, [my fault for not knowing] that there really aren't any restrictions. The neighbor beside me turns out to be a hoarder of junk Harley's, rv's, cyclone fencing pieces and whatever else. Several old bbq's. bathtubs and other misc.

I found out the last person that lived here had called the police on them multiple times and there is nothing that can be done except move. Then in another 45* of our lake view, a retiring Cali couple bought two lots and combined them to build an 80ft. plus 18ft. tall boat garage across our view. Now, I try not to even look west toward the lake.

I find it hard to believe the city would let them rent out RVs in a Reaidential Zone without a permit. You would probably be better off calling the City Revenue Investigator or Code Enforcment than the police, because they almost certainly don't have a buisness license. Even in "backwards and unregulated" GA where I live that would be an instant summons.... I am shocked such a wealthy community in HI would allow it....

But, that is a perfect example of why HOAs are popular. Many cities don't enforce their regulations or only do sporadically -usually after endless calls or media involvement- (even if they are on the books, which they almost surely are).
July 30th, 2020 at 4:00:01 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
I can't imagine living in one. I do
whatever I want here. I could have
30 bird feeders if I wanted and a
chicken coop. It's zoned rural,
not residential.

That is living! Only thing is I really like walkability. Luckily few restrictions at my place, I just wish I had a usable driveway. Low cost is worth it though. Minimalism is such that I am getting a hot tub. In a fancier place I would be on the edge of life.
The President is a fink.
July 30th, 2020 at 4:17:18 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: Gandler

I find it hard to believe the city would let them rent out RVs in a Reaidential Zone without a permit. You would probably be better off calling the City Revenue Investigator or Code Enforcment than the police, because they almost certainly don't have a buisness license. Even in "backwards and unregulated" GA where I live that would be an instant summons.... I am shocked such a wealthy community in HI would allow it....

But, that is a perfect example of why HOAs are popular. Many cities don't enforce their regulations or only do sporadically -usually after endless calls or media involvement- (even if they are on the books, which they almost surely are).
I'm in Lake Havasu Arizona. The last guy that lived in this house fought it repeatedly. What does a person want to do with their time? The next guy can fight it if he's got it in him, I'm just about done.
July 30th, 2020 at 4:22:53 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: terapined
This is why I bought into a HOA
To protect my investment.
So nobody moves next door and places a bunch of run down RV's making my place less attractive and value goes down
I was in the HOA for 17 years
My investment increased, a lot of it due to the HOA making the neighborhood look beautiful
I'm cashing out. Thrilled with the price I got. Buyer willing to pay a lot because HOA protecting their investment for a future sell. Closing next week :-)
I've lived mostly remote since the 70's, usually on acreage. Built what I wanted, sturdy. My place on the Kenai, I couldn't even see a neighbor, only hear them when they were out shooting their black rifles. Moose in the yard, that type of thing.

Then I went to Kodiak Ak,, lived on my boat in a Marina during the week, boat camped when possible. No neighbors in the Marina in the winter. Just me and one other person who was a female nurse? That and sea Lions, whales and ocean critters.

Lost my RE senses when I came back to America among the people. I'm wiser now, but it doesn't matter so much. I think this place would sell at a profit, but neither I or the wife is moving again. My next place is going to be a cardboard urn.
July 30th, 2020 at 4:37:11 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
I guess I sometimes feel lucky to be me.

I mean you guys no offense, but I feel lucky in the sense that none of this would ever be of any great concern to me. Whatever happens, happens. I don’t and wouldn’t really care about anything that my neighbors are doing on their property, and even if I were inclined to own a house, I wouldn’t ever be stressing what the value of it was doing. I kind of actually want to see the crazy guy’s RV place and would totally talk to that guy because it sounds like he might be bonkers!

And, if anyone did anything that pestered me too much, because I wouldn’t own it’s a very short amount of time until I’m able to just move somewhere else.

I don’t plan to move anytime soon, but sometimes I look at different areas for giggles. I could take the kids Summers and school breaks, if I wanted, or long weekends. I could come up basically any weekend I wanted and do the hotel thing with them. So, even though I’ll almost certainly not move anytime soon, I could anytime.

Like, I could move to Florida next time I get paid just because I felt like it. Almost anywhere else, for that matter.

I just feel bad for people getting tied to a property or placing a certain...I guess some sort of worth on a place aside from just its monetary value. That sounds stressful as hell. I have enough problems.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
July 30th, 2020 at 5:12:31 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: Mission146
I guess I sometimes feel lucky to be me.

I mean you guys no offense, but I feel lucky in the sense that none of this would ever be of any great concern to me. Whatever happens, happens. I don’t and wouldn’t really care about anything that my neighbors are doing on their property, and even if I were inclined to own a house, I wouldn’t ever be stressing what the value of it was doing. I kind of actually want to see the crazy guy’s RV place and would totally talk to that guy because it sounds like he might be bonkers!
Yeah, I get along with him ok, he is a decent man now that he's older. He used to be an enforcer for a bike club, it's better that I met him later in life. If that's who you are talking about? I don't think he's crazy, he's unique.

He's interesting. Took a bullet in the chest in VN, was at, and lost his brother at TET. That's where he developed a taste for medicine. We both lived a bit hard . They watch over our place when I'm gone, but the wife says he's a bit of a Lech.
July 30th, 2020 at 7:47:20 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: JCW09
We have 330M + people in our country.
Population sIze matters a lot when you are battling an infectious disease spread by person to person contact
You need to control their individual behaviors in order to effectively battle the spread of a virus.
It is intellectually dishonest to compare the US to countries with populations less than our largest state.
SIgnificant population when comparing to the US would be countries with at least 50 million people, 1/6 of our population.
There are about 30 of those countries in the World.
We stack up pretty well comparing apples to apples.
Particularly when you take out countries that lie about their numbers or took infected people out of their homes to quarantine.
Putting individuals in Covid Jail may work in South Korea & Asian countries, it doesn't work in the US.
Western Culture's view of personal freedoms play a factor in a fair comparison.
You're left with US, Mexico, Germany, UK, France, Italy, Spain.
Those are the comparable countries and Mexico will end up passing us in deaths per million by 10/1
Germany killed it and no one seems to talk about them much.
Ever wonder who has the legal authority to restrict individual freedoms in the US when facing a Public Health Emergency?
Here's a clue: It isn't Donny & Co.

Population matters. That's why the comparison data is normalized by population. Not all Asian countries used such coercive measures. If fact Taiwan's success in turning back the virus while respecting personal freedom has seriously pissed off china. From what I have read Asian countries have had more success because they had a plan in place before the outbreak and stuck to a national strategy after the outbreak.

Even so by the qualifications that you specify, the USA looks pretty bad right now. The numbers will change before this is done but here are the 28 countries with more than 50 million. Spain doesn't make the cut btw.

Country, Deaths/M Pop
UK 677
Italy 581
USA 469 Third worst
France 463
Brazil 430
Mexico 356
Iran 197
Colombia 193
South Africa 132
Germany 110
Russia 95
Turkey 67
Egypt 47
Pakistan 27
India 26
Bangladesh 19
Indonesia 18
Philippines 18
Japan 8
Kenya 6
S. Korea 6
Nigeria 4
China 3
Ethiopia 2
DRC 2
Thailand 0.8
Tanzania 0.4
Myanmar 0.1

And here is the list with Eastern and African countries removed

Country, Deaths/M Pop
UK 677
Italy 581
USA 469 third worst
France 463
Brazil 430
Mexico 356
Colombia 193
Germany 110
Russia 95
Turkey 67
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.