No votes (0%)
1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

July 31st, 2020 at 3:23:07 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mission146

I just feel bad for people getting tied to a property or placing a certain...I guess some sort of worth on a place aside from just its monetary value. That sounds stressful as hell. I have enough problems.

Not stressful if you do it right. I bought small, lived small, and got paid off in 7 years or so. I have an upper unit pays me rent. Even when I had a mortgage it was barely half today's average car payment. There was a mass layoff at work and the woman who sat next to me was renting and paying far more than I paid to own. She spent more on cigarettes than I paid to own for that matter. A lot more!

No nut to make every month reduces stress! Not being a guy in his 50s still with 20 years to go on a mortgage reduces stress. I got a hot tub coming because I was able to pay it off! I see what people pay in rent and smh. It is a great life.

The neighborhood is in early gentrification as well. I could have a paid off place in a hot area.
The President is a fink.
July 31st, 2020 at 4:37:13 AM permalink
AZDuffman
I'd put this on the other side but the snowflakes there would melt.

The President is a fink.
July 31st, 2020 at 4:44:35 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: JimRockford
Even so by the qualifications that you specify, the USA looks pretty bad right now.

One-third of the US Covid-19 deaths occurred in NY and NJ. Eliminate those lopsided numbers and the US would have a mortality rate comparable to Canada.

It didn’t help matters when the governors in NY, NJ, MA, CA, and NM pumped their numbers by forcing nursing homes to take Covid-19 patients.

The Governor of Illinois said he only sent ‘recovered’ patients to nursing homes. 53% of that state’s Covid deaths are in nursing homes.

In MA, it’s 62%.

Obesity is another factor.

71% of Americans are overweight or obese. A BMI over 30 is associated with adverse outcomes.

Only 30% of Koreans are overweight.
July 31st, 2020 at 7:31:15 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Tanko

71% of Americans are overweight or obese. A BMI over 30 is associated with adverse outcomes.

My BMI is 23 but I still think I am 5 or 10 pounds overweight. I am 5'10" and 165 pounds. Sadly a lot of my weight is in the stomach as I have skinny arms and legs.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 31st, 2020 at 7:40:03 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: Tanko
One-third of the US Covid-19 deaths occurred in NY and NJ. Eliminate those lopsided numbers and the US would have a mortality rate comparable to Canada.

It didn’t help matters when the governors in NY, NJ, MA, CA, and NM pumped their numbers by forcing nursing homes to take Covid-19 patients.

The Governor of Illinois said he only sent ‘recovered’ patients to nursing homes. 53% of that state’s Covid deaths are in nursing homes.

In MA, it’s 62%.

All countries had hot spots. Ours don't count?
So, for a fair comparison of US performance we need to ignore any country not in Europe or the Americas. Then we need to only count counties with huge total populations. Now we need to subtract the US's densest population centers. I will leave it to someone else to make the next list. The intellectual honesty's too much. (apologies to Dan Hill)

I'm not getting into the whole, blame the democrat governors thing. I have my fair and biased opinions but there is blame to go around. Blame that goes back a decade or two.

Koreans are heavy smokers. Smoking is also a risk factor for severe cases.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
July 31st, 2020 at 8:37:37 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: kenarman
I think that the economic impact in Sweden has likely been far less as well Paco. I also don't think we can say that it was far more deadly in Sweden because Covid is far from over and we have no idea yet whether lockdowns will reduce the final death counts by much if any.

Economic analysis says Sweden's GDP went down the same amount as other countries in Europe

It is not "far more deadly" in Sweden compared to Europe in general, but it is "far more deadly than other countries near Sweden

Deaths/100K
84.9 Belgium ---- Maybe using a different statistical procedure.
67.9 UK
60.8 Spain
58.1 Italy
56.8 Sweden <-----------------------------------
46.3 France
35.9 Netherlands
35.7 Ireland
23.3 North Macedonia
22.9 Switzerland
19.3 Moldova
18.2 Luxembourg
17.0 Portugal
12.2 Romania
11.0 Germany --- near Sweden
10.6 Denmark --- near Sweden
10.3 Bosnia and Herzegovina
10.2 Monaco
9.6 Russia
8.0 Austria
7.6 Montenegro
6.6 Serbia
6.2 Hungary
5.9 Belarus
5.9 Finland --- near Sweden
5.7 Slovenia
5.4 Bulgaria
5.4 Albania
5.2 Estonia --- near Sweden
4.7 Norway --- near Sweden
4.5 Poland
3.9 Ukraine
3.5 Czechia
3.5 Croatia
2.9 Lithuania --- near Sweden
2.9 Iceland
2.6 Liechtenstein
2.0 Malta
1.9 Greece
1.7 Latvia --- near Sweden
0.5 Slovakia
July 31st, 2020 at 9:14:35 AM permalink
JCW09
Threads: 12
Quote: terapined
I'm cashing out. Thrilled with the price I got. Buyer willing to pay a lot because HOA protecting their investment for a future sell. Closing next week :-)

You moving to one of those tiny countries around the world that you claim handled the Covid Pandemic so much better than the US?
Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.
Def. of Liar - "A Person Who Tells Lies" / "I lied. Deal with it" - ams288
July 31st, 2020 at 9:49:55 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
McDonald's CEO, Chris Kempczibski is now allowing encouraging workers at store levels to call police on customers not wearing a mask in their Restaurants.

This is great progress, because now other corporations with retail locations are rumored to be considering to do the same.

This came because McDonald's customers reportedly absued workers when directed to leave for not wearing a mask, so they are going to encourage no engagement and just the calling of police.
July 31st, 2020 at 9:58:50 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Gandler
McDonald's CEO, Chris Kempczibski is now allowing encouraging workers at store levels to call police on customers not wearing a mask in their Restaurants.

This is great progress, because now other corporations with retail locations are rumored to be considering to do the same.

This came because McDonald's customers reportedly absued workers when directed to leave for not wearing a mask, so they are going to encourage no engagement and just the calling of police.

Why not let the cops handle something important?
The President is a fink.
July 31st, 2020 at 10:00:37 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman
Why not let the cops handle something important?

So cops should not do traffic enforcement or enforce private trespasses? What do you want them to do? What is more important?