No votes (0%)
1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

August 2nd, 2020 at 12:25:49 PM permalink
JCW09
Threads: 12
Quote: terapined
Triggered because small poorer countries kicked our ass regarding the virus because their govts took it seriously while we had Trump just wishing it would just go away. LOL.
It amazes how some conservatives cant deal with US citizens criticizing the USA and want them to leave the country

As if someone that has wasted the last 6 years of their life on this website can trigger anyone.
Do the math, almost 6200 posts in 6 years.
It's embarrassing.
Def. of Liar - "A Person Who Tells Lies" / "I lied. Deal with it" - ams288
August 2nd, 2020 at 12:36:53 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: JCW09
As if someone that has wasted the last 6 years of their life on this website can trigger anyone.
Do the math, almost 6200 posts in 6 years.
It's embarrassing.

look at the "top contributers" on this site with posts many times his...
(They are almost all conservative).

You never bash them for their post count, it only matters for people you disagree with....

Anyway, for people who are socially media dark and are only on here and maybe 1 other forum as far as online activity goes, its really not that much of a "waste of time".
How many hours a day do you spend scrolling and posting through FB and Instsgram and Twitter? Probably more than you will admit on here....
August 2nd, 2020 at 1:26:48 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: JCW09

WTF
Why do you come here if you consider being here is a waste of time
You make no sense as usual.
Are there 2 JCW09'S like there are 2 EB's ROTFL
JCW09 makes huge gigantic long posts defending Trump then the other JC says being on here is a waste
Weird
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 3rd, 2020 at 7:56:07 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: Tanko
That's not what you said two days ago.

Quote: JimRockford
Even so by the qualifications that you specify, the USA looks pretty bad right now. The numbers will change before this is done but here are the 28 countries with more than 50 million.

Country, Deaths/M Pop
UK 677
Italy 581
USA 469 Third worst

I stand by both statements. Case-fatality rate and death rate are not the same thing. Case-fatality rate is total deaths divided by total positive cases. It is meant to be an indication of how well doctors and health professionals are taking care of the sick, although there can be other factors involved. The US numbers aren't the best, but they pretty good. Our hospitals are well equipped, well staffed and well managed as you might expect from the richest country in the world. It's not a measure of how bad things are for the country. It's a measure of how bad things are for a sick person.

Death rate also called mortality rate is total deaths divided by total population. This is the percentage of the population dead from Covid. It's probably a more fair comparison because it doesn't depend on the number of cases which is heavily influenced by who you test and how many you test. The US is among the worst in the world in Covid death rate. I believe death rate is a fair measure of how well a country attacked the disease and prevented it's spread. If our medical treatment is better but a higher percentage of our citizens are taking a premature dirt-nap, what does that say?

If I were an astronaut coming back from the ISS and I was told I could go to a random large city in the country of my choice and I knew that I had Covid, then the USA would be a pretty good choice. However if I didn't have it, I'd pick Taiwan.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
August 3rd, 2020 at 9:24:28 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Pacomartin
Economic analysis says Sweden's GDP went down the same amount as other countries in Europe

It is not "far more deadly" in Sweden compared to Europe in general, but it is "far more deadly than other countries near Sweden

Deaths/100K
84.9 Belgium ---- Maybe using a different statistical procedure.
67.9 UK
60.8 Spain
58.1 Italy
56.8 Sweden <-----------------------------------
46.3 France
35.9 Netherlands
35.7 Ireland
23.3 North Macedonia
22.9 Switzerland
19.3 Moldova
18.2 Luxembourg
17.0 Portugal
12.2 Romania
11.0 Germany --- near Sweden
10.6 Denmark --- near Sweden
10.3 Bosnia and Herzegovina
10.2 Monaco
9.6 Russia
8.0 Austria
7.6 Montenegro
6.6 Serbia
6.2 Hungary
5.9 Belarus
5.9 Finland --- near Sweden
5.7 Slovenia
5.4 Bulgaria
5.4 Albania
5.2 Estonia --- near Sweden
4.7 Norway --- near Sweden
4.5 Poland
3.9 Ukraine
3.5 Czechia
3.5 Croatia
2.9 Lithuania --- near Sweden
2.9 Iceland
2.6 Liechtenstein
2.0 Malta
1.9 Greece
1.7 Latvia --- near Sweden
0.5 Slovakia

This quote is from Business Insider and dated July 21 "A report from Capital Economics published on Tuesday found that the Swedish economy was the least harmed in Europe, describing it as the "best of a bad bunch." The NYT and the other MSM in the US didn't want to report the fact that Sweden's no lock down policy might have worked since it doesn't support the "Trump caused it scenerio".

Your table above doesn't actually address the problem I identified in my first post. We are still early in this pandemic and have no idea idea what the final death rates are going to be in any country. Using todays numbers is like calling a winner after 1 game in a 7 game series.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
August 4th, 2020 at 7:09:31 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
It’s the first day of school for some in Georgia.

“May the odds be ever in your favor.”
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
August 4th, 2020 at 9:51:07 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: ams288
It’s the first day of school for some in Georgia.

“May the odds be ever in your favor.”

OMG
WTF
Insanity
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 4th, 2020 at 11:23:52 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: terapined

OMG
WTF
Insanity

LOL! It looks just about like any school I have been in.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
August 4th, 2020 at 1:56:51 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quite a contagious bug, this COVID-19! Summer camp in Georgia....numbers are from recollection, so may not be accurate... but concept is valid.... Like 250 out of the 350 campers tested positive for COVID-19! No report of a serious case in those kids.... but how many of their grandparents will be dead in the coming weeks?

Ok. Think hard before you answer.

As you all know there are many viruses that despite our best efforts no effective and safe vaccine has been developed. AIDS is an easy example.

Let's say that after a year or two of trying, all the big pharma companies come out and say that they cannot develop the magic vaccine. That this virus turns out to be not amenable to such, like HIV.

So 3 years from now the virus still exists, still kills a lot of the elderly and sick, and few of the young and healthy. Less than now because some of the therapeutic drugs are helpful but not perfect. Do you "open it up", meaning fans in the stands, large weddings without masks, Broadway plays with patrons, planes with middle seats filled, etc....?
August 4th, 2020 at 2:58:37 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: SOOPOO

As you all know there are many viruses that despite our best efforts no effective and safe vaccine has been developed. AIDS is an easy example.

Let's say that after a year or two of trying, all the big pharma companies come out and say that they cannot develop the magic vaccine. That this virus turns out to be not amenable to such, like HIV.

I agree. I doubt we will have a vaccine.
The right is desperately hoping for a vaccine for Trump. If Biden wins, no doubt Fox will attack Biden for failing to develop a vaccine so all new deaths will be his fault.
Quote: SOOPOO

So 3 years from now the virus still exists, still kills a lot of the elderly and sick, and few of the young and healthy. Less than now because some of the therapeutic drugs are helpful but not perfect. Do you "open it up", meaning fans in the stands, large weddings without masks, Broadway plays with patrons, planes with middle seats filled, etc....?

I have no doubt there will be crowds in the stands, large weddings without masks , planes with middle seats filled, concerts.
Yes, this will all come back
Just not in this country.
Other countries, there is united patriotism to fight this virus, we dont have that.
South Korea, 300 total deaths. Our numbers are shockingly high, 1k a day.
Look at all the anti mask people we have here. This country will never be the same
Trump had a chance at greatness, unite the country against the virus, but he did the opposite, divide the country supporting those against masks.