1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

February 24th, 2020 at 10:07:10 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Face
A whole ship, you say?

Already found a kicker. Let's do this...

Is that a ship engine? Somebody had
to sit down and see it in their head
first.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 25th, 2020 at 8:30:18 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: terapined
Its probably a full blown epidemic in N Korea. Spiking in Italy and Iran
Its coming and at my age, pretty concerned

I am excited and hope that it spreads to millions of people. I really just want to see how they handle it if it gets that big
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 25th, 2020 at 8:52:47 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Terapined
... at my age, pretty concerned

Quote: DRich?
Excellent! *rubs hands*

just ribbing you
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 25th, 2020 at 9:43:29 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Evenbob

Is that a ship engine? Somebody had
to sit down and see it in their head
first.

I think so. Even those small- school- sized earth mover engines aren't that big. I actually picked a small example, hence "kicker". They get much bigger, and they go in in pairs O.o
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 25th, 2020 at 10:54:48 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Anyone want to make a prediction whether the market is up or down at the end of the day? (the 26th)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 26th, 2020 at 5:14:05 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: rxwine
Anyone want to make a prediction whether the market is up or down at the end of the day? (the 26th)

I predict steady today not recovering losses from the last 2 days because this virus and the threat to the world economy is real
I wonder if I saved money because I just did a rollover on my IRA
Had a ton of money invested in stock funds via my old employers IRA. Could of left it there but I don't trust Wells Fargo.
They cut me a massive check Friday and I just received the check via mail yesterday
Mailing out the check today to my current employers IRA plan with T Rowe Price
I was surprised a rollover involved physical checks but the IRA people said this is the safest way to do it
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 26th, 2020 at 5:31:58 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine

Probably down because people keep believing the hype. Any economic damage will be short lived. Let it fall some more and maybe I’ll look
For a short term options play as nothing to gamble on until Selection Sunday.
The President is a fink.
February 26th, 2020 at 6:36:42 AM permalink
AcesAndEights
Threads: 6
Quote: terapined
I predict steady today not recovering losses from the last 2 days because this virus and the threat to the world economy is real
I wonder if I saved money because I just did a rollover on my IRA
Had a ton of money invested in stock funds via my old employers IRA. Could of left it there but I don't trust Wells Fargo.
They cut me a massive check Friday and I just received the check via mail yesterday
Mailing out the check today to my current employers IRA plan with T Rowe Price

You will probably luck in to a good result on that transfer, unless it all recovers soon.
Quote:
I was surprised a rollover involved physical checks but the IRA people said this is the safest way to do it

Fracking LOL. Yeah, a piece of paper via US mail is the "safest" option. I've done probably a half dozen rollovers through the years, and the ones that involve physical checks always make me sweat. Any slight mess up along the way, and poof there goes a huge sum of cash (hopefully you could get it back if the check never clears anywhere). Many providers can do it electronically, but they aren't incentivized to make it easy to get your money out...
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob
February 26th, 2020 at 8:57:08 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
posting this around noon, looks like the market will be up today a few hundred, but there could be a swoon anytime

I predict we get another 1000 pt swoon as soon as there is some very likely up and coming news about increasing likelihood it will not be contained in the US either [I think this is likely]. Not much news from Africa at all it seems, for instance, where it is likely running amok

Of course if you can really predict the stock market you'd soon be joining the billionaire club

latest wikipedia animated map:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019%E2%80%9320_coronavirus_outbreak#/media/File:COVID-19-outbreak-timeline.gif
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 26th, 2020 at 1:11:16 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
Is that a ship engine? Somebody had to sit down and see it in their head first.

That is a RT-flex96C, a two-stroke turbocharged low-speed diesel engine designed by the Finnish manufacturer Wärtsilä. The engine is the largest reciprocating engine in the world.

It is designed for large container ships that run on heavy fuel oil. Its largest 14-cylinder version is 44 ft high, 87 ft long, weighs over 2,300 tons, and produces 107,390 hp.

There is a Danish commemorative coin for the Emma Maersk, the first ship to use the engine