No votes (0%)
1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

January 30th, 2022 at 1:49:49 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rquiredusername
I would ask why you quoted me to say nonsense and go on to not disagree with me. I was saying those who haven’t taken the vaxx or did so hesitantly should not be automatically classified as “anti-vaxxers.”

But then you had apparently put words in my mouth by expanding to ignore the difference in outcomes AFTER contracting the virus (the benefit) and not quantifying what risks you are alluding to or the probability of having those unspecified risks happen.

Sorry, read what you wrote wrong. My bad.
The President is a fink.
January 30th, 2022 at 1:52:12 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: SOOPOO
Had interesting discussion about ‘anti-vaxxers’. My wife mentioned some 69 million (I can’t actually remember the number, but something around there!) that have not been vaccinated and then implied that was the number of anti-vaxxers. I claim the number is much higher, in the sense that there are millions of vaccinated people who allowed the governments coercive strength to in essence force them to get vaccinated. I know quite a few that got the shot SOLELY because of the NYS mandate on health care workers, and they decided their job overrode their anti-vaxxer philosophy. And also there are millions of people who are ‘pro vaccine’ in the sense that they realize it is a great way to avoid getting COVID-19, but they ALSO believe the government shouldn’t force someone to get it. Adding all those different types of ‘anti-vaxxers’ up likely makes them a majority, not a minority! Then if you add the millions who are happily vaccinated but think the ever changing mask mandates are a government overreach…. Then add the millions who are against remote school learning at all points during the pandemic….

I think the above summary, although not strictly a Dem/Repub issue, makes November look even bleaker for the Dems.

It depends on your defintion of "anti-vax".

If somebody truly thought that the vaccine was so harmful that their existence was in jeopardy for taking it, no amount of money or job security would change them.

If by "anti-vax" you simply mean anti-mandate, that is completely different.

I know people who are anti-mandate who got the vax to look good for their employer, I would not call them "anti-vax".

It's kind of like being a nonsmoker, but believing that employers should have the right to allow or ban smoking in their office (employers choice, not the government). You can be a nonsmoker and also against smoking bans.

My point is your defintion of anti-vax is pretty broad. For example, pre-COVID, it was pretty easy to point out exactly who was anti-vax. COVID has politized an issue that used to be much more black and white.
February 3rd, 2022 at 12:13:51 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
https://www.abc27.com/news/top-stories/hershey-unvaccinated-employees-separated/
Hersheys getting it done
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 4th, 2022 at 10:07:38 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Johns Hopkins Study:

"An analysis of each of these three groups support the conclusion that lockdowns have had little to no effect on COVID-19 mortality. More specifically, stringency index studies find that lockdowns in Europe and the United States only reduced COVID-19 mortality by 0.2% on average. SIPOs were also ineffective, only reducing COVID-19 mortality by 2.9% on average. Specific NPI studies also find no broad-based evidence of noticeable effects on COVID-19 mortality."

"While this meta-analysis concludes that lockdowns have had little to no public health effects, they have imposed enormous economic and social costs where they have been adopted. In consequence, lockdown policies are ill-founded and should be rejected as a pandemic policy instrument."
February 4th, 2022 at 1:14:40 PM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Quote: Tanko
Johns Hopkins Study:

"An analysis of each of these three groups support the conclusion that lockdowns have had little to no effect on COVID-19 mortality. More specifically, stringency index studies find that lockdowns in Europe and the United States only reduced COVID-19 mortality by 0.2% on average. SIPOs were also ineffective, only reducing COVID-19 mortality by 2.9% on average. Specific NPI studies also find no broad-based evidence of noticeable effects on COVID-19 mortality."

"While this meta-analysis concludes that lockdowns have had little to no public health effects, they have imposed enormous economic and social costs where they have been adopted. In consequence, lockdown policies are ill-founded and should be rejected as a pandemic policy instrument."
Thanks Tanko,
I had to sit up and take notice at the apparent credibility of that source. I took the time to read a good chunk of that Paper. Can't see any partisanship and it does seem to make sense. Maybe, just maybe every national and state legislature got their lockdown mandates wrong based on poor data or poor analysis.

Food for thought.

BUT.... Checking Snopes...

https://www.snopes.com/news/2022/02/03/johns-hopkins-study-on-lockdowns/

"The viral “Johns Hopkins study” about lockdowns was not the work of Johns Hopkins University, it was not peer-reviewed, and it was not written by epidemiologists. A number of researchers have also taken issue with the methods used in this study.

Not the work of John Hopkins University! But that is its selling point. Many sites describe it as "A Johns Hopkins study"
Not peer reviewed!
Viral

So, I'll take it with a pinch of salt

Furthermore, the conclusions of this non-peer reviewed working paper run counter to published studies in academic journals that found lockdowns did prevent COVID-19 deaths. One study, for example, found that lockdown policies helped prevent millions of deaths early in the pandemic. NPR reported:"
February 4th, 2022 at 1:23:03 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: OnceDear

I had to sit up and take notice at the apparent credibility of that source. I took the time to read a good chunk of that Paper. Can't see any partisanship and it does seem to make sense. Maybe, just maybe every national and state legislature got their lockdown mandates wrong based on poor data or poor analysis.

Food for thought.

Some of us said from the beginning that the lockdowns were all for show. There was no "data." You cannot have "data" when things are happening in real time.

I will say it yet again. The lockdowns and the masks were so it looked like something was being done. People were allowed in only part of Wal-Mart because you can catch the virus in the sporting good section but not the food section?
The President is a fink.
February 4th, 2022 at 1:27:23 PM permalink
OnceDear
Quote: AZDuffman
Some of us said from the beginning that the lockdowns were all for show. There was no "data." You cannot have "data" when things are happening in real time.

I will say it yet again. The lockdowns and the masks were so it looked like something was being done. People were allowed in only part of Wal-Mart because you can catch the virus in the sporting good section but not the food section?

See my edit.
I'm not actually buying or endorsing that study. Indeed, I see it as one of the better written anti establishment propaganda articles.

It's big USP: "A Johns Hopkins study" is a lie
February 4th, 2022 at 1:48:21 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
See my edit.
I'm not actually buying or endorsing that study. Indeed, I see it as one of the better written anti establishment propaganda articles.

It's big USP: "A Johns Hopkins study" is a lie

The first time I heard about the study it was attributed to a different department at Johns Hopkins and was done by economists.

I have seen people criticizing it but nothing saying (so far) it did not appear to come from Johns Hopkins.

Hearing that source first given, I knew it was not a medical study.
February 4th, 2022 at 1:54:39 PM permalink
OnceDear
Quote: RonC
The first time I heard about the study it was attributed to a different department at Johns Hopkins and was done by economists.

I have seen people criticizing it but nothing saying (so far) it did not appear to come from Johns Hopkins.

Hearing that source first given, I knew it was not a medical study.
Going .viral on its USP as being 'A John Hopkins Study' it has got the drop on those who it discredits. Right wing media are all over it, propagating it, using it to say "See we told you so"

But it is just some paper written than 3 economists. They may be good economists. The fact they managed to get it published on the JHU web site emblazoned by a JHU logo really is unfortunate. JHU should get a press release out, like NOW.

"A lie can travel around the world and back again while the truth is lacing up its boots."

This one has.
February 4th, 2022 at 2:09:26 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Going .viral on its USP as being 'A John Hopkins Study' it has got the drop on those who it discredits. Right wing media are all over it, propagating it, using it to say "See we told you so"

But it is just some paper written than 3 economists. They may be good economists. The fact they managed to get it published on the JHU web site emblazoned by a JHU logo really is unfortunate. JHU should get a press release out, like NOW.

"A lie can travel around the world and back again while the truth is lacing up its boots."

This one has.

I am not going back to read the study, but I believe the reporting was that the initial business closures did have a positive impact as far as the spread goes.