The City on Fire

June 6th, 2020 at 3:35:58 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: SOOPOO
Lots of thinking about the Buffalo guy. He was actively, intentionally, violating a lawfully imposed curfew by the duly elected Democrat African-American mayor of Buffalo. Instead of walking away from the police, he chose to walk towards them. It was not an accident. The police were advancing with their shields and batons out in plain view. He intentionally walked directly at them. There can be no disputing these facts.

I spoke today with a cop (lady, kind of like an SVU cop) and a beat cop, recently retired to open a plumbing business. He said the cops were following protocol to a T. They were advancing with either baton out parallel to the ground, or with a shield if they had one. They gave multiple commands to leave the area, with time spaced between each command. Whatever the guy wanted to say to the police, it was clearly not the time. As far as the amount of force used, he said it seemed reasonable, but just that the guy fell awkwardly. The 57 other riot squad officers who resigned in solidarity with the two suspended officers obviously agree. Interestingly, had they chosen to ignore him and let him to stay illegally, imagine the uproar that they let the white guy stay but forced the black guys out.
As far as the horrible 'optics' of just walking by him while he was unconscious bleeding on the ground, he said if you are in the front row you keep going forward, and those behind you are responsible for an injured guy like that. That is what happened. It was only a few more seconds that you see some supervisor guy calling for a medic. It still looks horrible.

No one will ever ask this question, but is the one I want answered. "Why were you that freaking STUPID to walk towards the cops, who were advancing with shields and batons, while you were breaking curfew and it was clear they were doing their job to enforce that curfew?"

Did the cops use more force than was necessary to move the guy out? In retrospect, obviously yes. At the time? Just a guess. I hate that these two cops will probably lose their jobs over this incident. At least the guy supposedly is doing well.

For whatever it is worth, both of my cop friends say that Chauvin is as guilty as can be. But in the real world, the two rookie cops had no ability to stop him. They were probationary and Chauvin was their supervisor. I think those 3 extra cops are a touchy subject. Probably exactly what the protesters want changed. They want ANY cop to be able to do what is right, regardless of the Blue Wall.

Exactly. 100% .

They pushed him. How often do riot squads push people (all of the time), their job is to clear the street..... People are acting like they abused him in some way, they treated him like anyone else. He is a professional political activist, he has been doing this for decades, he wanted to make a scene, and he got what he wanted..... Police did nothing wrong. If he was too medically fragile he should not charge a riot squad.
June 6th, 2020 at 5:08:54 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Gandler
Exactly. 100% .

They pushed him. How often do riot squads push people (all of the time), their job is to clear the street..... People are acting like they abused him in some way, they treated him like anyone else. He is a professional political activist, he has been doing this for decades, he wanted to make a scene, and he got what he wanted..... Police did nothing wrong. If he was too medically fragile he should not charge a riot squad.

I'd like to know what their orders were.

Were they really told, regardless of what you observe keep pushing through. IMO, The situation didn't require an all or nothing response like might be required in an already violent situation.

Suppose the guy had a baby strapped on his back in a papoose that the officers couldn't see? This is not an enemy combatant. Officers should be allowed to stop and render aid.

Just my opinion though.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 6th, 2020 at 5:22:28 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine

Were they really told, regardless of what you observe keep pushing through. IMO, The situation didn't require an all or nothing response like might be required in an already violent situation.

Suppose the guy had a baby strapped on his back in a papoose that the officers couldn't see? This is not an enemy combatant. Officers should be allowed to stop and render aid.

Just my opinion though.

Your opinion shows you have no police training. Ever hear "you don't leave your wingman?"

I have to say I file it under the same as that guy who got slugged because he charged the stage to make a disruption at a Trump rally. If you do not want this to happen, don't block the cops. He crossed out of being a "peaceful protestor" to an "agitator."
The President is a fink.
June 6th, 2020 at 5:27:26 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
A better way to handle road blocking rioters!

The President is a fink.
June 6th, 2020 at 5:30:44 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: AZDuffman
Your opinion shows you have no police training. Ever hear "you don't leave your wingman?"

I have to say I file it under the same as that guy who got slugged because he charged the stage to make a disruption at a Trump rally. If you do not want this to happen, don't block the cops. He crossed out of being a "peaceful protestor" to an "agitator."

If you did, they must of thrown you out for excessive force.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 6th, 2020 at 5:30:46 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

Just my opinion though.

They could have simply arrested the old guy instead of inflicting a brain injury.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 6th, 2020 at 5:31:09 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22

Just my opinion though.

i don't know how you define 'enemy combatant'? He was someone actively breaking the law. The police had a law they were ordered to enforce. The lawbreaker was given multiple opportunities to walk the other way and cease breaking the law. He chose to do EXACTLY the opposite, not only break the law but advance on the officers. I understand in retrospect he was just an asshole feeble old man, but no one frisked him before the confrontation. And it is not like they beat him. He was pushed, and fell awkwardly. My hunch is during other protests there were hundreds of protesters pushed harder, just they were not as clumsy and feeble.
The two officers have been charged with I think 2nd degree assault. I am not sure what happens in the legal system with this case. They will be tried in a Democrat City, with Democrat judges, after having the Democrat Governor decry the officers. It is hard to imagine them keeping their jobs, even if found not guilty in court.
June 6th, 2020 at 5:32:40 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: SOOPOO
It is hard to imagine them keeping their jobs, even if found not guilty in court.

Good. Some people shouldn’t be cops.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
June 6th, 2020 at 5:36:49 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: ams288
Good. Some people shouldn’t be cops.

Of course that is true. Short of incidents which result in obvious public harm, I wonder if there is really a way to figure out who those people are? I wonder what the two best cops in the world would have done? Stop and handcuff the guy? Bear hug and carry him? I don't think on a 'clear the area' mission they could just ignore him because he was old and white?
June 6th, 2020 at 5:37:33 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
If that had been a group of Hells Angels bikers walking up the street, would you run up into their face and expect them to listen or be deterred in their progress?

If it had been a group of typical "Me To" women walking up the street with intent, would you place yourself in front of them and expect them to all stop or have to go around you?

Why do the cops have to suffer every fool that gets in their face? I don't want them to stop what they are doing every single time somebody jumps up and wants to give them hell and what for.

This old guy has lived his life where people had to listen to his crap, so he thought he was in charge. He isn't.

Nobody jumps out in front of a marching band or veterans at a Veterans day parade, but everyone thinks the cops have to allow them to bite their asses off.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW