The City on Fire

June 5th, 2020 at 8:17:27 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
He should have been wearing that helmet, instead of holding it.

Currently in 'serious but stable' condition.

Better hope Cuomo doesn't send him to a nursing home to recuperate.

June 5th, 2020 at 8:23:37 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
I don't know why people are still protesting.

Cops have been fired, arrested, charged, and are in jail.

These "Justice for George Floyd" ongoing "protests" are just getting out of hand, what else do people want?
June 5th, 2020 at 8:30:43 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler

These "Justice for George Floyd" ongoing "protests" are just getting out of hand, what else do people want?

Aren't you watching?

They want police departments dismantled.

People in these communities generally hate the cops. I used to be surprised at how many middle-class and white-collar blacks hate the cops. Came right out and said "I hate the cops!"

They are also turning into an outlet for Trump hate and conservative hate.

I will say it again, these groups have been soaking in kerosene for years now. Floyd was merely the match. If it was not him it would have been someone else.
The President is a fink.
June 5th, 2020 at 8:34:13 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Gandler

Some want all police departments disbanded.

I think the real answer is pretty simple. They do not want a police officer to treat you any differently based on your race. They want all police officers to use the absolute minimum force necessary in all of their endeavors.

Both of the above do not happen now. At least not often enough for the protesters.
June 5th, 2020 at 8:50:43 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: SOOPOO

I think the real answer is pretty simple. They do not want a police officer to treat you any differently based on your race. They want all police officers to use the absolute minimum force necessary in all of their endeavors.

Both of the above do not happen now. At least not often enough for the protesters.

What the protestors do not realize is that in the bad neighborhoods the cops are naturally going to act different than in the better suburbs. Notice how many times in the pas they have defended thugs. They want their neighborhoods to be "nice" but they do not want to behave "nice." Instead of blaming the bad people int their neighborhoods who are causing the trouble they blame the cops.

In some places like LA there are young black males who cannot go off their blocks. This is how they are forced to live. But do they support it being cleaned up? Rarely. They instead complain about the "pigs" hassling people.

This is going to go on and off for many more years, and it will not end good.
The President is a fink.
June 5th, 2020 at 8:53:27 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14

It sounds easy "use the absolute minimal force". Problem is you only know the answer to that in hind site. You have to remember that the police are often as scared as the person they are approaching. Does he have a gun, knife or other weapon, is he going to sucker punch or kick me. The police officer's is on an adrenal rush as well, particularly if he has minimal or no back-up. This isn't a one of situation for the officer this is usually an everyday occurrence. Even a routine traffic stop can turn violent and dangerous. It is no wonder that this kind of continuous pressure on our police causes some of them to crack.

Just curious SOOPOO if you lost a patient under your care and the courts found you negligent is there any situation where you could be charged with murder?
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 5th, 2020 at 10:41:19 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: kenarman
It sounds easy "use the absolute minimal force". Problem is you only know the answer to that in hind site. You have to remember that the police are often as scared as the person they are approaching. Does he have a gun, knife or other weapon, is he going to sucker punch or kick me. The police officer's is on an adrenal rush as well, particularly if he has minimal or no back-up. This isn't a one of situation for the officer this is usually an everyday occurrence. Even a routine traffic stop can turn violent and dangerous. It is no wonder that this kind of continuous pressure on our police causes some of them to crack.

Just curious SOOPOO if you lost a patient under your care and the courts found you negligent is there any situation where you could be charged with murder?

First of all, I 100% agree with you on the hindsight point. I have watched police officers try to subdue crazed, coked up felons in my emergency room. The amount of force needed would shock many of you. I don't know how they could safely do it with less force. The criminal would use every fiber of their body to hurt the police and other staff. Bite, spit, kick, scratch even while being held down.

As far as a criminal charge, yes, you can be charged with a criminal offense if someone determines, or has a reasonable suspicion, that you have committed a criminal act. I have never been involved in such a case, nor have been witness to such a case. Negligence tends to be a civil matter (malpractice) and only very rarely rises to a criminal matter.
June 5th, 2020 at 11:21:04 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Bad news out of Buffalo. Cops were clearing the City Hall area after curfew, and two cops pushed an unarmed 75 year old (thank God White) man, and he stumbled awkwardly and hit his head upon falling. Concussion and pool of blood. The cops were clearly not trying to hurt the guy, but the push was not necessary as the guy was unarmed and not threatening the officers physically. The two 'pushers' have already been suspended, and they will clearly be sacrificial lambs to the appeasers who are the elected officials. (Mayor, County Executive, Governor). The County Executive has already said they should face charges. I don't know the two officers at all, or anything about them other than this incident, but their lives are ruined.
The worst part about it to me was that the officers just continued walking after the guy was on the ground unconscious. One at least bent over to look at the guy but his superior officer just had him continue walking. I pray for both the officers and the protester that the guy makes a full recovery, or else it will be really bad for all of them.

I am interested to hear ams/Rx/terapined's take on it. Do you guys think the two "pushers" deserve criminal charges?

Criminal charges absolutely. It does not take much to seriously injure the elderly.
I watched that video.
What really disgusted as the police waked by ignoring him.
He was obviously not faking as there was a pool of blood by his head clearly visible
He was out cold
How can multiple police officers walk past an obvious injured senior citizen bleeding out of his ear head injury.
The police on the scene seemed furious that this was caught on videotape.
Cops hate videotaping. Tons of 1st amendment audits on youtube where cops falsely tell people videotaping that's its against the law.
Over and over, cops are constantly trying to arrest anybody that videotapes them. A gazillion videos on youtube regarding this.
Videotaping is a right in public. Its protected by the constitution yet cops don't care about the constitution and are constantly trying to arrest video tapers.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 5th, 2020 at 1:36:38 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: terapined
Criminal charges absolutely. It does not take much to seriously injure the elderly.

Old white guy? Yawn, nobody will
care.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 5th, 2020 at 2:00:26 PM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
Quote: Evenbob
Quote: terapined

Old white guy? Yawn, nobody will
care.

lol 😂😂