The City on Fire

June 5th, 2020 at 3:31:17 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
That's under falsely accused. If you know plenty of good guys being falsely accused, that's a legit worry. This incident wasn't.

Plenty of falsely accused.A NAACP leader falsely accused an officer!

See, there is big money in a black accusing a white officer. From more than one source.

Policing While White is getting dangerous.
The President is a fink.
June 5th, 2020 at 3:56:52 PM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
Quote: Evenbob
Hard to feel sorry for the guy,
at his age he had no business
being there. The universe
punishes the stupid in violent
ways sometimes. What he did
was just plain idiotic for a guy
in his 70's. He should have
known better.

Totally agree. I can't believe how many people act like it wasn't stupid for him to be out there.
I mean, I hope he's OK, but again, totally dumb decision to be out there.
June 5th, 2020 at 4:15:01 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: terapined
Quote: SOOPOO
Criminal charges absolutely. It does not take much to seriously injure the elderly.

Old white guy? Yawn, nobody will
care.

Lots of coverage on Fox, CNN. The unit (anti-riot?) that the two cops were in reportedly have ALL resigned in support of the two suspended cops. I believe the cops were wrong, but how are you to clear out people if they don’t follow your verbal instructions if you are not allowed to use some force? I do not even think the two cops wanted him to fall, it looks like they were trying to push him out of the way. They obviously misjudged the guys frailty. But as opposed to keeping your knee in someone’s neck for 8 minutes, this was a split second action. They erred. But if that error costs you an entire career, as it almost certainly will, the next cop will just not do his job for fear of losing his job.

If I was a cop and had to clear an area and encountered an elderly person
I would not touch him.
What really shocks me is multiple cops walked right by him when it was clear he suffered a head wound and was out cold
If this was a cop laying there out cold with a head in a blood puddle, no way a cop walks by and ignores this.
I am fine with these cops resigning
Reminds me of this incident
Elderly Grandfather from India visiting his family. Does not speak English
Cops put him in intensive care for no reason

Luckily for the cops he was white. If it was a 70 year old black man it would be nonstop news....

When you are in active shooter classes one of the first things you learn is police or armed reaponse are not there to render aid. There job is to clear the threat. They will walk past you if you are bleeding out, they need to keep clearing hallways to eliminate the threat. You have to wait for EMS to show up. Their job is to remove the threat not to provide aid to every protestor who acts foolish....

If you are so medically fragile, you probably shouldn't go head on into a riot squad... Sorry its harsh, but its the truth....
June 5th, 2020 at 4:47:13 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Gandler

If you are so medically fragile, you probably shouldn't go head on into a riot squad... Sorry its harsh, but its the truth....

I'm not fragile but at 70 I'm
fully aware I'm not 45 anymore.
I was at the top in my 40's,
I could do anything. If they
pushed me like that I would
go down, your balance gets
screwy as you age. Old people
don't use canes to lean on,
canes help you keep your
balance. Your joints get
weaker and worn out as
you age, you'll see.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 5th, 2020 at 8:30:29 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Social Justice more important than Social Distance

Amazing - it seems as if only a week or so ago we were all being castigated if we set foot outdoors without a mask and came within 6' of another human

https://www.politico.com/amp/news/magazine/2020/06/04/public-health-protests-301534
June 5th, 2020 at 10:35:42 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: aceofspades
Social Justice more important than Social Distance

Amazing - it seems as if only a week or so ago we were all being castigated if we set foot outdoors without a mask and came within 6' of another human

I was reading the Left really
screwed themselves with the
rioting and looting. In just
a few days they ended the
lockdown and did Trump a
huge favor. No more dragging
the feet in the Blue states,
I'ts over. And so are the riots
for the most part. And with the
jobs numbers today and the
market this week, the economy
is set to boom more than it
was before all this started.

Comparing it to the Depression
was always ridiculous. That was
about bank failures, the financial
blood of every economy. And no
welfare programs. This was nothing
like that. At all.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 6th, 2020 at 9:28:46 AM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
Anyone else shake their head at all the white guilt on display? It's like libbies put a spell on all the white snowflakes in the country to make them feel guilty for something they never did. It's pathetic man. I mean, yeah what that cop did to George Floyd was dead WRONG, but I'm not the one who killed him! I don't feel any white guilt, that's for damn sure.

It's alarming how libbies have done this on so many issues. Like I said, it's like they put a spell on the American people. They've done the same thing on abortion, gay marriage, the 2nd Amendment, and most recently, the unconstitutional coronavirus lockdown.

After 9/11, I thought that radical Muslims were the greatest threat to the republic. Well I was wrong! Radical libbies are the greatest threat!! 😒
June 6th, 2020 at 1:45:49 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Criminal charges absolutely. It does not take much to seriously injure the elderly.

care.

Lots of coverage on Fox, CNN. The unit (anti-riot?) that the two cops were in reportedly have ALL resigned in support of the two suspended cops. I believe the cops were wrong, but how are you to clear out people if they don’t follow your verbal instructions if you are not allowed to use some force? I do not even think the two cops wanted him to fall, it looks like they were trying to push him out of the way. They obviously misjudged the guys frailty. But as opposed to keeping your knee in someone’s neck for 8 minutes, this was a split second action. They erred. But if that error costs you an entire career, as it almost certainly will, the next cop will just not do his job for fear of losing his job.

I would not touch him.
What really shocks me is multiple cops walked right by him when it was clear he suffered a head wound and was out cold
If this was a cop laying there out cold with a head in a blood puddle, no way a cop walks by and ignores this.

There job is to clear the threat.

What threat??????? Was the old guy acting in a threatening manner?
Were the officers fearing for their lives?
Peaceful protesting is a threat??????????
WTF
Its a right guaranteed by the Constitution.
This did not need to happen. Let people protest.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 6th, 2020 at 3:29:46 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27

care.

I would not touch him.

There job is to clear the threat.

What threat??????? Was the old guy acting in a threatening manner?
Were the officers fearing for their lives?
Peaceful protesting is a threat??????????
WTF
Its a right guaranteed by the Constitution.
This did not need to happen. Let people protest.

They were clearing a street after curfew. Everyone there knew that they were going to get arrested. That is fine, its a common protest tactic, stupid IMO, why ruin your legal record for a protest, but whatever, that is their right. He went a step further and went right in front of the line as they were clearing..... I mean he got pushed back.... They did not shoot him, bash him with a baton, tase him, etc.... How many people get pushed back by riot police? It is literally constant, this is being blown way out of proportion....

Again, don't want to get shoved, don't charge a riot squad.....
June 6th, 2020 at 3:31:41 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Lots of thinking about the Buffalo guy. He was actively, intentionally, violating a lawfully imposed curfew by the duly elected Democrat African-American mayor of Buffalo. Instead of walking away from the police, he chose to walk towards them. It was not an accident. The police were advancing with their shields and batons out in plain view. He intentionally walked directly at them. There can be no disputing these facts.

I spoke today with a cop (lady, kind of like an SVU cop) and a beat cop, recently retired to open a plumbing business. He said the cops were following protocol to a T. They were advancing with either baton out parallel to the ground, or with a shield if they had one. They gave multiple commands to leave the area, with time spaced between each command. Whatever the guy wanted to say to the police, it was clearly not the time. As far as the amount of force used, he said it seemed reasonable, but just that the guy fell awkwardly. The 57 other riot squad officers who resigned in solidarity with the two suspended officers obviously agree. Interestingly, had they chosen to ignore him and let him to stay illegally, imagine the uproar that they let the white guy stay but forced the black guys out.
As far as the horrible 'optics' of just walking by him while he was unconscious bleeding on the ground, he said if you are in the front row you keep going forward, and those behind you are responsible for an injured guy like that. That is what happened. It was only a few more seconds that you see some supervisor guy calling for a medic. It still looks horrible.

No one will ever ask this question, but is the one I want answered. "Why were you that freaking STUPID to walk towards the cops, who were advancing with shields and batons, while you were breaking curfew and it was clear they were doing their job to enforce that curfew?"

Did the cops use more force than was necessary to move the guy out? In retrospect, obviously yes. At the time? Just a guess. I hate that these two cops will probably lose their jobs over this incident. At least the guy supposedly is doing well.

For whatever it is worth, both of my cop friends say that Chauvin is as guilty as can be. But in the real world, the two rookie cops had no ability to stop him. They were probationary and Chauvin was their supervisor. I think those 3 extra cops are a touchy subject. Probably exactly what the protesters want changed. They want ANY cop to be able to do what is right, regardless of the Blue Wall.

Edit.... essentially what Gandler just said....