No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
3 votes (16.66%)

18 members have voted

September 4th, 2020 at 1:25:37 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
I do think if the Republicans ever supported free ID, they Probably could get it through.

Why does an ID have to be free? Use the ID you already have for other uses.
The President is a fink.
September 4th, 2020 at 1:36:17 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: kenarman
No wonder Canadians feel like Rodney Dangerfield, we just don't get any respect.

"Thomas Edison, an American, is almost unanimously credited with inventing the incandescent light bulb. However, two Canadians, Henry Woodward and Matthew Evans, successfully produced and patented an electric filament lamp before Edison had seriously turned his mind to electric lighting."

The surviving Edison House and laboratories are pretty interesting, but they didn’t mention this when I was there. Edison was using it to demonstrate the dangers of alternating current.

[DescriptionElectrocuting an Elephant is a 1903 American, short, black-and-white, silent documentary film of the killing of the elephant Topsy by electrocution at a Coney Island amusement park. It was produced by the Edison film company and is believed to have been shot by Edwin S. Porter or Jacob Blair Smith. Wikipedia

Watchable online.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 4th, 2020 at 1:43:02 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Fox News has confirmed the report about Donny bashing the war heroes.

How long till our dutiful righties pivot from “he didn’t say that!” to “who cares that he said that?!”

😂😂😂😂
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
September 4th, 2020 at 2:25:21 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: SOOPOO
You are hurting my brain again! So if you have two senile parents, and open their mail, and send back in those ballots that YOU filled out, you actually think the government will find this out? Please....

Rx.... I think voter fraud "may" have swung some smaller races, and, yes, I really don't have any way to tell if it was bad Republicans or bad Democrats who benefited.

It is just such an easy fix for me..... make every person show up. on election day. be able to prove you are who you say you are.
I am willing to offer free (government pays for it) voter ID for the few sad lost souls on the fringes of society that somehow don't have an acceptable ID.
Then I will not need to worry about the fraud that certainly is possible with the current system.

It is hurting your brain to understand innocent until proven guilty?

There are just over 1000 charges (not looking it up right now), less than 1000 convictions (900 something), that means 900 (something) are the cases that we know are 100% guilty. Convictions are what matters. Anything else is just speculation. Also, that article with the "anonymous democrat who fakes thousands of ballots", does anyone actually believe that? You DUI analogy does not make sense, because it is far easier to get away with a DUI (again there is no record, once you are out of your car and home you cannot be charged even if your neighbor calls 911)…. Voting leaves a paper trail (you sign your name, scan your ID, likely are on video), so its very easy to catch when somebody votes at multiple locations..... (Which is why the conviction rate, over 90%, is so high, once you are caught, there is not much of a defense....).

Mail-in ballots have security protocols such as signature verification (you can argue that senile parents may sign anything that their child puts in front of them, sure, but if they are at that stage, they probably should be under professional care)….. If a ballot is suspected to be a fraud (or even questionable), the voter will be contacted for verification...
https://uspirg.org/blogs/covid-19/usp/voting-mail-not-only-safe-it%E2%80%99s-secure

Generally speaking I have no problem with in person voting and ID requirements. But, IDs must be free, and there needs to be more days. I don't think this is unreasonable. Why just one day? Voting is so important it should be at least a week (and debatably 24 hours a day) so as not to put employees or employers in a tough spot on election days with long lines. Also, mail-in ballots should be available for emergencies (critically ill people), or military personnel oversees.

Yes if you are retired and voting is the highlight of your day its not a big deal, but if you are working 12 hour shifts and trying to squeeze in a vote, waiting in line for 1+ hours (some cases longer), is not ideal...… Again, the people who struggle the most to vote are young working people (who are often new in a career and can't really say "hey excuse me for a few hours while I vote") .
Retired, unemployed, people on benefits, rich people who don't work, etc..... does not effect them, they don't mind standing in line for a candidate who will further their interests and they have nowhere else to be..... Voting restrictions hurt the working class the most (again this is not a controversial statement), and the young working class most of all.....
September 4th, 2020 at 2:25:27 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: rxwine
I hate to say this SOOPOO, but you’re joining the truly deluded thinking there is any chance one day voting will ever be popular enough to start taking hold in the general population again.

I think it is Chile that pays you to vote? It is a minor form of UBI, but I'd accept a small payment to vote. Like $100 once a year to vote or $0 if you don't. I'll pay for their ID. I'll pay them to vote. And I'm sure ams and terapined and RX and Tripdufan will still say I am some 'rightie' trying to suppress the vote!
September 4th, 2020 at 2:28:32 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: ams288
Fox News has confirmed the report about Donny bashing the war heroes.

How long till our dutiful righties pivot from “he didn’t say that!” to “who cares that he said that?!”

😂😂😂😂

Well they threw McCain under the bus instantly. I am sure they have the philosophy "losers don't get killed" like their hero.

He is just a terrible person, I can't understand how so many people here applaud his character.
Even if you like his policies 100% I am baffled by how anyone can love Trump's behavior and words.....
September 4th, 2020 at 2:32:40 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Gandler

Generally speaking I have no problem with in person voting and ID requirements. But, IDs must be free, and there needs to be more days. I don't think this is unreasonable. Why just one day? Voting is so important it should be at least a week (and debatably 24 hours a day) so as not to put employees or employers in a tough spot on election days with long lines. Also, mail-in ballots should be available for emergencies (critically ill people), or military personnel oversees.

Yes if you are retired and voting is the highlight of your day its not a big deal, but if you are working 12 hour shifts and trying to squeeze in a vote, waiting in line for 1+ hours (some cases longer), is not ideal...… Again, the people who struggle the most to vote are young working people (who are often new in a career and can't really say "hey excuse me for a few hours while I vote") .
Retired, unemployed, people on benefits, rich people who don't work, etc..... does not effect them, they don't mind standing in line for a candidate who will further their interests and they have nowhere else to be..... Voting restrictions hurt the working class the most (again this is not a controversial statement), and the young working class most of all.....

ID does not need to be free. Everyone has an ID. There does not need to be "more days." One day works fine. Absentee ballots for truckers and others who are on the road. Put in some effort. Somehow people put in effort around the world.

If it was for the new Air Jordans or some free promotion people find a way. It is called being an adult.

Young people do not miss votes because they "struggle." It because they are either lazy or just do not care.
The President is a fink.
September 4th, 2020 at 2:35:35 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
In Canada you are entitled to 3 consecutive hours off during the times the polls are open with no reduction in pay. This is not the same as getting paid for 3 hrs and not working them.

As an example if your workday is normally 9:00 to 6:00 and the polls are open 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM then you could go in late in the morning at 8:00 and be paid for the hour you missed. Alternately you could leave work at 4:00 and be paid for the 2 hours you missed. If you only work a shorter day you would likely have 3 hours when you weren't working and get no paid time off.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
September 4th, 2020 at 2:38:37 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: kenarman
In Canada you are entitled to 3 consecutive hours off during the times the polls are open with no reduction in pay. This is not the same as getting paid for 3 hrs and not working them.

As an example if your workday is normally 9:00 to 6:00 and the polls are open 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM then you could go in late in the morning at 8:00 and be paid for the hour you missed. Alternately you could leave work at 4:00 and be paid for the 2 hours you missed. If you only work a shorter day you would likely have 3 hours when you weren't working and get no paid time off.

Why on earth should the time off be paid? Employers should not have to foot the bill.
The President is a fink.
September 4th, 2020 at 2:39:31 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Gandler
Well they threw McCain under the bus instantly. I am sure they have the philosophy "losers don't get killed" like their hero.

He is just a terrible person, I can't understand how so many people here applaud his character.
Even if you like his policies 100% I am baffled by how anyone can love Trump's behavior and words.....

More "unnamed sources." It does not fit his personality that he would say that. You lefties will believe anything.
The President is a fink.