No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
3 votes (16.66%)

18 members have voted

September 4th, 2020 at 3:49:43 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman
Paying for time should not be mandatory anywhere.

Should unpaid leave be mandatory?
September 4th, 2020 at 3:55:50 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler
Should unpaid leave be mandatory?

Mixed. I would say it has to be reasonable. If a person only works 4-6 hours a day then no. If their shift only overlaps poll times by 4-6 hours then no. If they are in a critical job where leaving causes a burden (oil well workers, medical workers, etc) then no.

Otherwise 1 hour 2 max is enough time, preferably at begin or end of shift. But taking the time should be discouraged. You should vote on your own time.
The President is a fink.
September 4th, 2020 at 4:06:30 PM permalink
Gandler
Mixed. I would say it has to be reasonable. If a person only works 4-6 hours a day then no. If their shift only overlaps poll times by 4-6 hours then no. If they are in a critical job where leaving causes a burden (oil well workers, medical workers, etc) then no.

Otherwise 1 hour 2 max is enough time, preferably at begin or end of shift. But taking the time should be discouraged. You should vote on your own time.

What if you work Monday through Thursday 0700-1900, (4 12 hour shifts, not uncommon), you will miss every election unless you are allowed time to leave. Also, you have to bear in mind not everyone works down the street, some people commute 1-2 hours just to get to and from work.

Voting on your own time is great, would be easier if there were an election week instead of an election day. Tuesday 0700-1900 simply is a major overlap for people who work, even if you work 9-5, if you have a multi-hour commute, it can be burdensome.

Some countries make election day a national holiday, this is another reasonable solution, of course, it still would not help people in critical jobs that never close (medical, police, fire, critical services, etc.... and often these are jobs with long shifts)
September 4th, 2020 at 4:23:30 PM permalink
AZDuffman
What if you work Monday through Thursday 0700-1900, (4 12 hour shifts, not uncommon), you will miss every election unless you are allowed time to leave. Also, you have to bear in mind not everyone works down the street, some people commute 1-2 hours just to get to and from work.

Then request an absentee ballot.

Quote:
Voting on your own time is great, would be easier if there were an election week instead of an election day. Tuesday 0700-1900 simply is a major overlap for people who work, even if you work 9-5, if you have a multi-hour commute, it can be burdensome.

It is a 14 hour window. Fit it in.

Quote:
Some countries make election day a national holiday, this is another reasonable solution, of course, it still would not help people in critical jobs that never close (medical, police, fire, critical services, etc.... and often these are jobs with long shifts)

Guess what, even if we did there would still be more excuses made. Between 14 hour days and absentee provisions it is EASY. Of course the person has to want to make the effort.
The President is a fink.
September 4th, 2020 at 4:35:01 PM permalink
Gandler
Then request an absentee ballot.

It is a 14 hour window. Fit it in.

Guess what, even if we did there would still be more excuses made. Between 14 hour days and absentee provisions it is EASY. Of course the person has to want to make the effort.

I live in a state where it is 12 hours 0700-1900. Many states are the same.

I don't think I have lived anywhere that has 14 hours of voting (the times may slightly shift as hour up or an hour down or 30 minutes up, such as 0730-1930).

https://ballotpedia.org/State_Poll_Opening_and_Closing_Times_(2020)

Anyway I thought that you were against absentee provisions?
September 4th, 2020 at 4:50:43 PM permalink
AZDuffman
I live in a state where it is 12 hours 0700-1900. Many states are the same.

I don't think I have lived anywhere that has 14 hours of voting (the times may slightly shift as hour up or an hour down or 30 minutes up, such as 0730-1930).

https://ballotpedia.org/State_Poll_Opening_and_Closing_Times_(2020)

Anyway I thought that you were against absentee provisions?

Even 12 hours is plenty.

Not against absentee. Against mail-in. Absentee requires effort so is more secure. Learn the difference.
The President is a fink.
September 4th, 2020 at 4:59:41 PM permalink
Gandler
Even 12 hours is plenty.

Not against absentee. Against mail-in. Absentee requires effort so is more secure. Learn the difference.

Well you stated you are against any kind of early voting.... And, absentee ballots are mail-in ballots, so I am not sure what kind of absentee voting you support?

For example in my state (which is even stricter than some as far as voter ID rules), any legal voter can request an absentee ballot for any reason (or no reason) and mail it in...…

So if you are not for absentee ballots by mail or by early voting what is your definition of absentee voting (because it clearly differs from the vast majority of the states)?
September 4th, 2020 at 5:19:08 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Well you stated you are against any kind of early voting.... And, absentee ballots are mail-in ballots, so I am not sure what kind of absentee voting you support?

For example in my state (which is even stricter than some as far as voter ID rules), any legal voter can request an absentee ballot for any reason (or no reason) and mail it in...…

So if you are not for absentee ballots by mail or by early voting what is your definition of absentee voting (because it clearly differs from the vast majority of the states)?

Classic absentee voting. Where you have to contact the elections bureau and request the ballot. Then they can X you off the rolls at the polls.

You should do that or vote on election day. No "early" voting, no mail in and for sure no online.

Those who think it is too much effort to get there on election day? Too bad.
The President is a fink.
September 4th, 2020 at 5:33:16 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I'm hearing talk of Don Jr marrying Kimberly guilfoyle and him running for president in 2024. He has a lot going for him. He's super smart has a ton of charisma and is as handsome as a movie star . Name somebody on the left who has all of that. And he would have a super smart beautiful first lady.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 4th, 2020 at 5:36:22 PM permalink
Gandler
Classic absentee voting. Where you have to contact the elections bureau and request the ballot. Then they can X you off the rolls at the polls.

You should do that or vote on election day. No "early" voting, no mail in and for sure no online.

Those who think it is too much effort to get there on election day? Too bad.

Well, you better tell your hero:

"Don't want to wait in the line at the polls. Request an abstenee ballot and vote from home"

"Voting just got easier"

Plastered right on his official campaign site lol..... In fact if you go to his site it will be the first popup (even before the ones asking for money).

Edit: On Biden's site it is not a pop-up and you have to dig for it. So Donald Trump is advocating absentee voting more than Biden online. Also, Biden is less obvious with the wording, you check what state you live in and then see options to vote.