RV life with Terapined

December 2nd, 2021 at 8:53:32 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: DRich
I like HEB stores. I used to spend a lot of time in Texas for work and I always shopped at HEB.

They just expanded their selections in our local store. They tripled the size of the space allotted to this type of prepared meals and other easy to do food.

I only go in once in a while; most of the time, I let our dog ride along and we do outside pick-up. It is convenient and they do a pretty good job.
December 3rd, 2021 at 8:38:14 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: terapined

If you found something interesting in Midland, that’s more than
I can say. I can see why someone camped there would get excited about a VR game. When you get to San Antonio you’ll cool on the VR and you’ll never be out of sight of an HEB.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
December 8th, 2021 at 8:44:36 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
In San Antonio
Walked the Riverwalk
Visited just about all the Missions
Had lunch at the top of the tower
Visited the art museum
Going to the botanical gardens today. High 80 degrees
What I can't bring myself to visit is the Alamo
In reality its a monument to slavery
Mexico outlawed slavery
The Alamo is about the fight for "freedom" to own slaves
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 8th, 2021 at 10:35:08 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
In San Antonio
Walked the Riverwalk
Visited just about all the Missions
Had lunch at the top of the tower
Visited the art museum
Going to the botanical gardens today. High 80 degrees
What I can't bring myself to visit is the Alamo
In reality its a monument to slavery
Mexico outlawed slavery
The Alamo is about the fight for "freedom" to own slaves

There's not a lot to see at the Alamo. (but it was quite a long time ago since I visited.)

Jean Dixon, famous early psychic predicted the Hemisphere tower would fall about 30 years ago.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 8th, 2021 at 11:03:12 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: rxwine
There's not a lot to see at the Alamo. (but it was quite a long time ago since I visited.)

Jean Dixon, famous early psychic predicted the Hemisphere tower would fall about 30 years ago.

I've done it about 20 years ago
A lot of construction as they are trying to protect it and build a visitors center.
Conservative Texans just want the battle itself remembered without any context
I think that is pretty dumb
Context is everything
Even the battle itself, some ran and Mexican lancers ran them down.
Unfortunately that doesn't fit the narrative so those eyewitness accounts are ignored by conservative Texans
Reminds me of little bighorn
Some ran scared instead of a last stand due to Indian eyewitness accounts
Did not fit the white man's narrative so ignored
Until archeology proved the Indian accounts
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 9th, 2021 at 12:00:50 PM permalink
JimRockford
I've done it about 20 years ago
A lot of construction as they are trying to protect it and build a visitors center.
Conservative Texans just want the battle itself remembered without any context
I think that is pretty dumb
Context is everything
Even the battle itself, some ran and Mexican lancers ran them down.
Unfortunately that doesn't fit the narrative so those eyewitness accounts are ignored by conservative Texans
Reminds me of little bighorn
Some ran scared instead of a last stand due to Indian eyewitness accounts
Did not fit the white man's narrative so ignored
Until archeology proved the Indian accounts

I hear you. I respect your position. The Alamo myth of heroes and martyrs standing up to tyranny is clearly exaggerated but a monument to slavery is an oversimplification. The Texian rebels were white men from the US with mainstream US values. They were white supremacist and some were slaveholders. There was nothing controversial about that in America in he 1830s. They immigrated and became Mexican citizens but they never stopped being American. The Mexican constitution of 1824 gave the states representation and enough autonomy to satisfy the Texians although there was constant disagreement. Slavery was a big part of that disagreement but Texas managed to keep the institution.

Generalissimo Santa Anna repealed the constitution of 1824 abolishing state representation and moved aggressively to impose centralized rule. He was a tyrant. Texas was not the only province to take up arms against the Mexican government. Oaxaca and Zacatecas also rebelled and they had no interest in slavery.

So sure, the Texians fought to retain slavery and for that they are on the wrong side of history, but they also really did stand up to tyranny.

You don’t have to buy in to the stock presentation at the Alamo to appreciate it. You could celebrate Santa Anna’s victory as many Mexican nationals do. You could go to laugh at the dolts who decided to defend it with 200 men, no supply lines and no escape route against 4000 Mexican troops all in defiance of General Sam Houston’s orders to remove the cannon and artillery, blow the place up and fall back to Gonzales.
December 10th, 2021 at 9:32:52 AM permalink
JimRockford
You said in another thread that you are headed to Corpus Christi. It looks like this crazy unseasonably warm weather is going to stick around for a while.

My favorite thing to do in Corpus is the North Padre Island National Seashore. A short drive from Corpus. If you are familiar with South Padre, the National Seashore is just the opposite. No food vendors, no trinket shops or bars, just 65 miles of undisturbed shore and you can drive on all of it. The first 10 miles is a well packed track, easily derivable in you pickup. They recommend a 4x4 beyond that, but you only have to go two miles or so to find a half mile stretch of beach to yourself. This time of year there may be hardly anyone there.
December 10th, 2021 at 12:39:38 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: JimRockford
You said in another thread that you are headed to Corpus Christi. It looks like this crazy unseasonably warm weather is going to stick around for a while.

My favorite thing to do in Corpus is the North Padre Island National Seashore. A short drive from Corpus. If you are familiar with South Padre, the National Seashore is just the opposite. No food vendors, no trinket shops or bars, just 65 miles of undisturbed shore and you can drive on all of it. The first 10 miles is a well packed track, easily derivable in you pickup. They recommend a 4x4 beyond that, but you only have to go two miles or so to find a half mile stretch of beach to yourself. This time of year there may be hardly anyone there.

Thanks
Will check that out
In Port Arthur for a week on the beach.
Appreciate the Alamo post and the education
History can be complicated
December 11th, 2021 at 6:27:48 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Thanks
Will check that out
In Port Arthur for a week on the beach.
Appreciate the Alamo post and the education
History can be complicated

What is the gulf water temperature there? Can you swim in it? I read that the largest oil refinery is in Port Arthur. Can you tour it? I’m in your old neck of the woods now. Golfing and eating and drinking up The Villages. Been unseasonably warm. Probably 80ish every day so far.
December 11th, 2021 at 7:38:58 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: SOOPOO
What is the gulf water temperature there? Can you swim in it? I read that the largest oil refinery is in Port Arthur. Can you tour it? I’m in your old neck of the woods now. Golfing and eating and drinking up The Villages. Been unseasonably warm. Probably 80ish every day so far.

Gulf water cold
Staying away from the beach today
Too windy
I don't like wind
Hanging out in my RV today thats shaking in the wind
RV place has really fast internet so really enjoying my oculus 2.
MD women play number 1 South Carolina tomorrow
Go Terps