The Debates

September 30th, 2020 at 12:30:22 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
The point is there is no reason to bring it up. We are not seeing a rash of White Supremacist violence and at best 2% of the USA subscribe to the belief. Trump does not project or represent white supremacy. The GOP is not the party that had a white supremacist in the Senate until the 2000s. Asking this is one step from asking if he stopped beating his wife.

I basically agree with the thought that there's no reason to bring it up, but it having been brought up, you might as well denounce it if you're Donald Trump...unless you think doing so will cost you votes. If the question is whether or not I consider it a legitimate debate question, my answer is, "No, I do not." I'm not the one moderating the debate, though.

Quote:
BLM has a history of violence and breaking laws. I am not about to make a roster of what members of BLM did and did not.

You don't have to because that's what the criminal justice system is for. Biden simply says that individuals who break laws should be held accountable, regardless of the political ramifications of that. Like you said, condemning looting is not a difficult thing to do, so he does condemn looting. Condemning White Supremacy, at least in theory, should also not be a difficult thing to do.

Quote:
Taking their drink and hassling them is what happened. You can call it "free association" but that is the same kind of "free association" of the group of black kids who "asked for $5" when they surrounded Bernie Goetz. The were in the restaurant to hassle and intimidate, not associate. Kind of like when a bunch of junior high kids are picking on a weak student and the teacher comes by and they say, "we wuz just kiddin around!" They were not, and the BLM in that restaurant were not free associating.

People should not take things from other people. People should also not intimidate other people. If there are people in BLM engaging in that sort of behavior, then those people are wrong, but that doesn't make BLM categorically wrong.

I've met Terapined. Terapined says he's BLM, I'm not BLM, but I don't think Terapined has harrassed, intimidated or taken anything from anyone. I don't think most people in BLM have. Definitely some. Maybe many.

BLM mainly seems to be a loose alliance of groups and people, so that also makes it really hard to condemn. If I really wanted to take a deep long look into it, which I don't, I could probably find individual groups within BLM that I would denounce. If there are any individual groups within that promote violence or rioting, then I would denounce those groups, but BLM (as a group) also does not seem to promote violence or rioting.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
September 30th, 2020 at 12:31:17 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: ams288
We get it, the guy who worships the Confederate flag doesn’t like BLM.

Let’s stop spamming every thread with this nonsense. We already have a couple of dedicated BLM threads.

If the question is why wasn't Biden asked to denounce BLM during the debates, then I fail to see how this conversation is not relevant to the debate thread.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
September 30th, 2020 at 12:42:03 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Mission146
If the question is why wasn't Biden asked to denounce BLM during the debates, then I fail to see how this conversation is not relevant to the debate thread.

Maybe you guys can create your own thread for all your back-and-forth wall of text posts that no one else reads. That might be the better solution.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
September 30th, 2020 at 12:47:25 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Maybe you guys can create your own thread for all your back-and-forth wall of text posts that no one else reads. That might be the better solution.

You could just block both of us if you don't like us making long and substantive topically relevant posts in applicable threads. Feel free to start with me, if you like.
September 30th, 2020 at 1:09:07 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: Tanko
"Google searches for ‘move to Canada’ spike after presidential debate"

Same thing happened in 2016.

Where are the searches for "move to Mexico"?
September 30th, 2020 at 1:14:28 PM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
You could just block both of us if you don't like us making long and substantive topically relevant posts in applicable threads. Feel free to start with me, if you like.
September 30th, 2020 at 1:14:48 PM permalink
ams288

Nah, blocking other members is for wimps. And it just makes threads unreadable.
September 30th, 2020 at 1:16:50 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Nah, blocking other members is for wimps. And it just makes threads unreadable.

But, isn't that what you're accusing AZ and I of doing?
September 30th, 2020 at 1:20:23 PM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
September 30th, 2020 at 1:21:06 PM permalink
ams288

No?