Stop the Steal!

Page 103 of 105« First<100101102103104105>

Thread Rating:

March 2nd, 2023 at 5:08:15 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Mission146
I take your point, but at the same time, a few tens or hundreds of feet one way or another and half of Congress could have been killed. While the insurrectionists might have signaled something that could come, though I doubt it (especially now) in the future, from a pragmatic standpoint, they accomplished very close to nothing.

I don't know that I agree with SOOPOO on the death penalty NOW, but I think the proper response that day would have been to loudly broadcast that the intruders had twenty minutes to leave the building and anyone who fails takes one through the skull after 20 minutes is up.

I am adamantly against the death penalty, so I agree with you largely on your second paragraph.

But, my view is the insurrectionists signaled the division. They have the view that the majority of the GOP has. And, they acted on it. In extremism studies there is something called spheres of danger. 1% of a population may be willing to act upon their view (violence). 10% may be willing to fund those willing to act. 25% may be willing to publicly support them (but not take any action or give any funds that would be a cause for concern). And 50% may be secretly supportive of them (believing in their view, but would never act, give money, or verbally support).

This is not unlike where the right wing is now. Polls indicate a majority of the party view the last presidential election as rigged. Many will still publicly say, "I accept the results of the election". Some will publicly say, "there were some irregularities, I don't know what to think". Some will say, "the election was clearly rigged. And, some will give money to the people who will "fix the problem". And, some will take matters into their own hands.

It is not a secret that right-wing extremism is the largest domestic terror threat in America (don't take my word for it, look for yourself, plenty of intelligence studies and reports on this topic). What 06JAN did is normalize right-wing terror. And, in so doing allowed all of the spheres to grow.
March 3rd, 2023 at 6:32:10 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Gandler
I am adamantly against the death penalty, so I agree with you largely on your second paragraph.

But, my view is the insurrectionists signaled the division. They have the view that the majority of the GOP has. And, they acted on it. In extremism studies there is something called spheres of danger. 1% of a population may be willing to act upon their view (violence). 10% may be willing to fund those willing to act. 25% may be willing to publicly support them (but not take any action or give any funds that would be a cause for concern). And 50% may be secretly supportive of them (believing in their view, but would never act, give money, or verbally support).

This is not unlike where the right wing is now. Polls indicate a majority of the party view the last presidential election as rigged. Many will still publicly say, "I accept the results of the election". Some will publicly say, "there were some irregularities, I don't know what to think". Some will say, "the election was clearly rigged. And, some will give money to the people who will "fix the problem". And, some will take matters into their own hands.

It is not a secret that right-wing extremism is the largest domestic terror threat in America (don't take my word for it, look for yourself, plenty of intelligence studies and reports on this topic). What 06JAN did is normalize right-wing terror. And, in so doing allowed all of the spheres to grow.

I'm going to disagree with your second paragraph a little bit. I think the divisiveness has become such that the more outspoken people on both sides just take great joy in trolling the opposite side. When I say, "Trolling," that exists in varying degrees, so I think some of them are somewhat serious, but not all of them. To that end, I don't think the, 'Majority of the GOP,' actually believes that the election was stolen from Trump...because I refuse to believe the majority of them are THAT stupid...but I do think some of them really enjoyed pushing the narrative.

As far as the, 'Insurrection,' it was just make believe for a great many of them, I would think, but if they're going to attempt to, 'Storm,' the Capitol...or whatever you might call that pathetic display (parallels to the Autonomous Zone in Portland, imo) you just go ahead and make the pretend real with some bullets for those who actually want to defy direct orders to peacefully leave.

The following paragraph, again, saying isn't believing. It's like anything else: Some of it is trolling and some of them aren't going to publicly state that the Election was not stolen lest they incur the vitriol of their more outspoken counterparts. Again, parallels to the Far Left and, 'Cancel culture,' when that was a bigger thing, (before some of them started to actually realize that eating your own isn't a great idea) wherein even vocalizing a nuanced opinion could lead to social ostracizing and being called any number of terrible things; that's when they weren't contacting your employers to report that you're a racist, transphobe or whatever other thing they would use to describe someone who had the audacity to be nuanced in their views and actually express them.

Just because it's the, 'Largest threat,' even accepting that as true, doesn't make it a terrible threat. Without that, something lesser would be the, 'Largest threat," and without that, something else would be the, 'Largest threat,' etc.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
March 3rd, 2023 at 7:19:19 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Gym Jordan was supposed to roll out all the whistleblowers testifying about deep state was against Trump
lol
So far its been a total nothingburger

https://www.rawstory.com/jim-jordan-deep-state/
Jim Jordan stumbles big time desperately seeking imagined 'deep state' whistleblowers
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 3rd, 2023 at 7:25:22 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: terapined
Gym Jordan was supposed to roll out all the whistleblowers testifying about deep state was against Trump
lol
So far its been a total nothingburger

https://www.rawstory.com/jim-jordan-deep-state/
Jim Jordan stumbles big time desperately seeking imagined 'deep state' whistleblowers

Do you know what part of Ohio Jordan represents? Married couples in the area refer to nighttime Bible study as, 'Foreplay.'
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
March 3rd, 2023 at 7:39:33 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Mission146
Do you know what part of Ohio Jordan represents? Married couples in the area refer to nighttime Bible study as, 'Foreplay.'

I actually was in his district in October for a cousin’s wedding.

Couldn’t get outta there soon enough.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 3rd, 2023 at 7:44:13 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: ams288
I actually was in his district in October for a cousin’s wedding.

Couldn’t get outta there soon enough.

...must resist...must resist...must resist...

Can't.

Weren't you there for both of your cousins' wedding?

(This has nothing to do with you or your cousin; it's just a joke about that area.)
March 3rd, 2023 at 7:49:06 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
That Rolling Stone article (raw story link) that was used as a source is controlled by the _CIA, according to this source:

-------------------------------------------

https://childrenshealthdefense.org/defender/cia-liberal-media-outlets-the-real-anthony-fauci/

-------------------------------------------
March 3rd, 2023 at 11:13:40 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Some conservatives said nobody is interested in the JAN 6 hearings
I on the other hand would love to see Gym Jordans whistleblowers to testify in public
Cmon Gym
Lets see the clown show
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/house-dems-call-jim-jordan-s-bluff-and-dare-him-to-have-his-whistleblowers-testify-in-public/ar-AA18c4QT?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=e3c2ae2fdb8046f4a47a4b956c5addc7&ei=21
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 3rd, 2023 at 12:02:43 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: terapined
Some conservatives said nobody is interested in the JAN 6 hearings
I on the other hand would love to see Gym Jordans whistleblowers to testify in public
Cmon Gym
Lets see the clown show
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/house-dems-call-jim-jordan-s-bluff-and-dare-him-to-have-his-whistleblowers-testify-in-public/ar-AA18c4QT?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=e3c2ae2fdb8046f4a47a4b956c5addc7&ei=21

Why are you spelling Jim as Gym?
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 3rd, 2023 at 12:08:08 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: DRich
Why are you spelling Jim as Gym?

Heehee...I know why.
Page 103 of 105« First<100101102103104105>