Stop the Steal!

Page 102 of 105« First<99100101102103104105>

Thread Rating:

February 28th, 2023 at 3:47:06 PM permalink
rquiredusername
Threads: 0
Damn some of y’all talk like January 6th was a threat to our democracy.
February 28th, 2023 at 6:50:58 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: rquiredusername
Damn some of y’all talk like January 6th was a threat to our democracy.

Probably the biggest threat to our democracy since the War of 1812. Even in the (American) Civil War), the capitol was not seized (or even attacked).

A mob tried to attack the capitol shorty before the Civil War during an election that the south viewed as unfavorable to their rights (they tried to take the electors that they thought were going to support Lincon's victory because they thought it was a corrupt election, despite Lincoln's overwhelming victory, you don't need a graduate degree in history to see the parallels), but they were stopped more effectively than 06JAN ironically (capitol security had more ability back then to take a strict stand without being viewed as brutal).

Sure there have been plenty of much larger threats to the world and Western Values, in the last 200 years, but none that were a realistic direct threat to the United States or it's Capitol.

So yes, 06JAN was pretty bad. If anything it showed that Capitol security was less effective than during the 1860s and that enough people on the inside (while still in office) were willing to support the mob. Definitely not the signs that a strong centralized country wants to display.
March 1st, 2023 at 7:44:22 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Gandler
Probably the biggest threat to our democracy since the War of 1812. Even in the (American) Civil War), the capitol was not seized (or even attacked).

A mob tried to attack the capitol shorty before the Civil War during an election that the south viewed as unfavorable to their rights (they tried to take the electors that they thought were going to support Lincon's victory because they thought it was a corrupt election, despite Lincoln's overwhelming victory, you don't need a graduate degree in history to see the parallels), but they were stopped more effectively than 06JAN ironically (capitol security had more ability back then to take a strict stand without being viewed as brutal).

Sure there have been plenty of much larger threats to the world and Western Values, in the last 200 years, but none that were a realistic direct threat to the United States or it's Capitol.

So yes, 06JAN was pretty bad. If anything it showed that Capitol security was less effective than during the 1860s and that enough people on the inside (while still in office) were willing to support the mob. Definitely not the signs that a strong centralized country wants to display.

I'd say that plane they flew into the Pentagon was a bit of a bigger deal than the so-called, "Insurrection." Bunch of disorganized mouth-breathing Evangelical hicks who, 'Stormed,' the Capitol and then had no idea what to do when they were actually in there. LOL. Running around taking pictures and shizz...

Like, you could have just taken the tour if that's what you wanted--and it wouldn't even have been a crime.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
March 1st, 2023 at 7:51:48 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

It was pretty bad
For the 1st time in American History
A President demanded that a mob stop the peaceful transfer of power
They did temporally stop the process
Its a stunning developement in America history
The peaceful transfer of power is the greatest tradition in the history of this great nation
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 1st, 2023 at 9:59:10 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: terapined

The peaceful transfer of power is the greatest tradition in the history of this great nation

But this nation would never have existed in the first place without a bloody tyrannical fight with those guys from across the pond. I have no problem with people fighting for what they believe in. In this case it was just a bunch of idiots fighting for their moron king. I also believe they should be prosecuted for all of their crimes.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 1st, 2023 at 12:01:24 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I'm not discounting the motive, but once the usurpers couldn't find anyone to hang, or drag out into the square or rub Nancy's nose in dog poo, they ran out of steam and became idle blobs of humanity waiting for the clean-up crews of law enforcement to cart them away.

Their ineptness doesn't make them not guilty though.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 1st, 2023 at 1:04:47 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: DRich
But this nation would never have existed in the first place without a bloody tyrannical fight with those guys from across the pond. I have no problem with people fighting for what they believe in. In this case it was just a bunch of idiots fighting for their moron king. I also believe they should be prosecuted for all of their crimes.

The insurrectionists were guilty. No doubt about it. I would be in favor of the death penalty for every single one of them. That being said, democracy was never at risk. Their stupid attack might have slowed down the process of certifying Biden as President, but the poorly organized disjointed mob were NEVER going to succeed in their goal of keeping Trump as President.
If Barbados announces they are at war with the USA, are you going to say ‘our entire country is in jeopardy’? Democracy was never in jeopardy.
March 1st, 2023 at 3:02:42 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: SOOPOO

If Barbados announces they are at war with the USA, are you going to say ‘our entire country is in jeopardy’? Democracy was never in jeopardy.

Screw the Barbadosians!!! I applied for a job there and they turned me down. I now have disdain for that country.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 1st, 2023 at 3:33:40 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Mission146
I'd say that plane they flew into the Pentagon was a bit of a bigger deal than the so-called, "Insurrection." Bunch of disorganized mouth-breathing Evangelical hicks who, 'Stormed,' the Capitol and then had no idea what to do when they were actually in there. LOL. Running around taking pictures and shizz...

Like, you could have just taken the tour if that's what you wanted--and it wouldn't even have been a crime.

The thing that makes it dangerous, in my view, more dangerous than 9/11 is the fact that it caused division. 9/11 caused unity (even if briefly).

06JAN was an attack on the idea of democracy from within which is more dangerous. I will always fear internal threats more than external threats. With our current defense structure (plus NATO) another 1812 is never going to happen. What is dangerous is that they have so much support. Remember after 06JAN the right wing was furious that capital security was beefed up, there is a reason for this.

And, before I get taken out of context, I am not claiming that more people died on 06JAN, but on the topic of dangers to democracy, it was more damaging.
March 2nd, 2023 at 10:41:14 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
The thing that makes it dangerous, in my view, more dangerous than 9/11 is the fact that it caused division. 9/11 caused unity (even if briefly).

06JAN was an attack on the idea of democracy from within which is more dangerous. I will always fear internal threats more than external threats. With our current defense structure (plus NATO) another 1812 is never going to happen. What is dangerous is that they have so much support. Remember after 06JAN the right wing was furious that capital security was beefed up, there is a reason for this.

And, before I get taken out of context, I am not claiming that more people died on 06JAN, but on the topic of dangers to democracy, it was more damaging.

I take your point, but at the same time, a few tens or hundreds of feet one way or another and half of Congress could have been killed. While the insurrectionists might have signaled something that could come, though I doubt it (especially now) in the future, from a pragmatic standpoint, they accomplished very close to nothing.

I don't know that I agree with SOOPOO on the death penalty NOW, but I think the proper response that day would have been to loudly broadcast that the intruders had twenty minutes to leave the building and anyone who fails takes one through the skull after 20 minutes is up.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
Page 102 of 105« First<99100101102103104105>