The Biden Presidency 2021

December 15th, 2020 at 11:25:14 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: terapined
I dont agree
I had a discussion about this with a conservative I worked with. She was upset that a fellow worker with 3 young kids that was so busy, she did not have time to follow the issues still had the right to vote. She insisted since she watched Foxnews all the time where the other woman did not watch any news, she was more informed and her vote should count and the Mother of 3 children should not have the right to vote because she does not watch the news and probably vote Dem
I thought her arguement was absurd

Wait, I thought only male property owners could vote.
The citizens of Austin just voted to increase our already high property tax rate to pay for an ill advised light rail system. It kind of chaps me that my son canceled my no vote when he rents and therefore has no direct visibility of the impact of our absurd property tax. But I endorse his right to vote. Just wish he would listen to me.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
December 15th, 2020 at 11:31:05 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: JimRockford
The citizens of Austin just voted to increase our already high property tax rate to pay for an ill advised light rail system. It kind of chaps me that my son canceled my no vote when he rents and therefore has no direct visibility of the impact of our absurd property tax. But I endorse his right to vote. Just wish he would listen to me.

In reality, dont owners take into account the property tax when setting the rent. In reality, aren't the renters really paying the property tax through their rent. If a property tax goes up, dont the owners pass that increase on to renters. Renters in reality do get hurt if property taxes go up.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 15th, 2020 at 11:37:27 AM permalink
JimRockford
In reality, dont owners take into account the property tax when setting the rent. In reality, aren't the renters really paying the property tax through their rent. If a property tax goes up, dont the owners pass that increase on to renters. Renters in reality do get hurt if property taxes go up.

You are correct on all counts. However renters don't have to write an annual check to the city. Rent is going up steadily here because of supply and demand, so renters don't see how much of that increase is due to taxes. That's why I said that he has "no direct visibility of the impact".
December 15th, 2020 at 11:43:57 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22

Correct. Just like consumers get hurt when taxes are raised on large corporations. And gas taxes are passed on to Uber customers.

It is amazing how many people are unaware of the effect of taxes on many things.
December 15th, 2020 at 11:50:47 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Biden to nominate Buttigieg as transportation secretary
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 15th, 2020 at 12:12:09 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: rxwine
Biden to nominate Buttigieg as transportation secretary

Does he have any actual tie to any specific 'transportation' experience? Seems an unusual jump from small town mayor....

In other news, Multi billionaire Larry Ellison also packs up and leaves California. Another bunch of $millions gone from the California tax rolls. We shall see if the Biden Presidency is successful at increasing inheritance taxes. Next move is that the billionaires leave the country....(I'm not sure if that helps you escape Uncle Sam's greedy fingers...)
December 15th, 2020 at 12:30:53 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: SOOPOO
Does he have any actual tie to any specific 'transportation' experience? Seems an unusual jump from small town mayor....
Maybe he's hung out at a lot of bus depots?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 15th, 2020 at 12:31:37 PM permalink
JimRockford
Correct. Just like consumers get hurt when taxes are raised on large corporations. And gas taxes are passed on to Uber customers.

It is amazing how many people are unaware of the effect of taxes on many things.

Tariffs could be added to those examples of taxes ultimately borne by consumers.
December 15th, 2020 at 12:51:47 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: JimRockford

The more people vote Democrat the more light rail projects you will get.
The President is a fink.
December 15th, 2020 at 1:05:26 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189

No.

In other news, Multi billionaire Larry Ellison also packs up and leaves California. Another bunch of $millions gone from the California tax rolls.

As long as he doesn't leave the US it's California's problem.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?