The Biden Presidency 2021

November 18th, 2021 at 4:19:00 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
It's my impression that Biden is against it as it would further deepen the political divide.

He wants the country to heal.

Good luck with that.
November 18th, 2021 at 4:40:46 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: rxwine
https://www.forbes.com/sites/willyakowicz/2021/09/30/nevada-on-six-month-hot-streak-with-1-billion-plus-in-gambling-revenue/?sh=576704fc64df

I walked by a strip poker room a few weeks ago
Packed with a long waiting list
I was pretty blown away
I like to play poker
But with this virus, I'm still not ready
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 18th, 2021 at 5:20:58 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: SOOPOO
Golly, how anyone could not call what happened on Jan 6 an insurrection is beyond me. It is strange that no prosecutor has had the BALLS to actually charge someone with that crime! I am being serious in asking my left leaning friends…. why not?

From what I've gathered the use of the law is opened ended enough, that it endangers political protest of lessor events. So Slippery Slope seems to be what some of the constitutional scholars seem to be afraid of.

Quote:
But the Justice Department should be careful not to choose a charge that is dangerously open ended. Restoring faith in democracy requires not only punishing leaders of the mob for insurrection but also ensuring that in the process the government does not open the door to branding as traitors those who engage in ordinary crimes or political activity

https://www.lawfareblog.com/justice-department-shouldnt-open-pandoras-box-seditious-conspiracy
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 18th, 2021 at 5:37:12 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: SOOPOO
Golly, how anyone could not call what happened on Jan 6 an insurrection is beyond me. It is strange that no prosecutor has had the BALLS to actually charge someone with that crime! I am being serious in asking my left leaning friends…. why not?

Golly, this is why not.

"WASHINGTON, Aug 20 (Reuters) - The FBI has found scant evidence that the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol was the result of an organized plot to overturn the presidential election result.. The FBI has so far has found no evidence that Donald Trump or people directly around him were involved in organizing the violence."

They found it was 95% what they call one-off's, people who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Haven't you seen the video of people being let into the Capitol building by the Capitol Police at one of the entrances? Peaceful Americans, being let into their Capitol building by the police. No organized insurrection, no plan, nobody behind it. As usual your media is finding you another bill of goods. Sure, violence broke out but there was nobody behind it, it was not organized. It just happened. People committed crimes but they were spontaneous crimes, which is a huge difference from a planned treasonous insurrection.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 20th, 2021 at 1:29:17 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Headline in the Wall Street Journal today:

As Joe Biden Turns 79, a Panic Over Kamala Harris

"He’s unlikely to run in 2024, and his VP is deeply unpopular."

No kidding.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 21st, 2021 at 4:17:19 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: missedhervee
It's my impression that Biden is against it as it would further deepen the political divide.

He wants the country to heal.

Good luck with that.

I wish that he actually did want to do that. I really don't see it overall. Too many of his nominees for office are way out there, too many of his words are divisive (you can make strong statements without calling names or insulting people; I did not like Trump doing that and I don't like Biden's doing it, either. Admittedly, he does it less...), etc. He has not really acted like someone who wants to heal the country at all.
November 21st, 2021 at 4:30:50 AM permalink
RonC
From what I've gathered the use of the law is opened ended enough, that it endangers political protest of lessor events. So Slippery Slope seems to be what some of the constitutional scholars seem to be afraid of.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/justice-department-shouldnt-open-pandoras-box-seditious-conspiracy

The article is many months old now and none of those type of charges have been filed. If there were a case to be made, I believe they would have made it by now, at least to the charging stage. Instead, they are treating people they have not charged with that serious level of charges (serious enough ones...just not to that level) and they are treating them differently than other accused criminals that created rioting and looting across the country.

My take is that they should charge and try the cases they have evidence for and stop trying to say that this was anything more than it was--a ridiculously inept attempt to make a statement and potentially delay the certification of the election. If someone wanted to harm a Congressperson, it would have happened. If someone wanted to create real violence, it would have happened. They acted in ways that should be punished but many of them were also let in freely by the police there. I am not saying that there was "no violence" nor am I excusing the extremely stupid idea that the certification could be stopped.

Being a sore loser is not tantamount to creating an insurrection. However, I am all for prosecution of ANYONE who may have attempted to do so. All they need to do so is evidence to convince a jury of that happening. Put up or get past it...

The Democrat party is hanging on to this because they have little else to hang their hats on. if they were really trying to fix things, how about passing law or two that would prevent, or more seriously punish, people for rioting in the Capitol?
November 21st, 2021 at 4:33:29 AM permalink
RonC
Quote: Evenbob
Headline in the Wall Street Journal today:

As Joe Biden Turns 79, a Panic Over Kamala Harris

"He’s unlikely to run in 2024, and his VP is deeply unpopular."

No kidding.

2024 could be a wide open race on both sides. I am hoping that both Trump and Biden stay out of it. One can say Trump has a better mind (not losing it; not talking about the other things going on in it) than Biden, but three more years down the road, who knows what will be true. I don't think we want to find out...
November 21st, 2021 at 6:18:37 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: RonC
The Democrat party is hanging on to this because they have little else to hang their hats on. if they were really trying to fix things, how about passing law or two that would prevent, or more seriously punish, people for rioting in the Capital?

I don't think there is an issue of needing new laws, since most laws have minimum and maximum sentences. All the cases are individual. Some of these people haven't been in serious trouble before and have been cooperating and others aren't and everything in between.

Republicans have been using other city riots as politics, especially when they're focusing on cities and states they don't even live in or represent. That's all politics and not much else.

The capitol represents everyone.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 21st, 2021 at 7:16:54 AM permalink
RonC
I don't think there is an issue of needing new laws, since most laws have minimum and maximum sentences. All the cases are individual. Some of these people haven't been in serious trouble before and have been cooperating and others aren't and everything in between.

Republicans have been using other city riots as politics, especially when they're focusing on cities and states they don't even live in or represent. That's all politics and not much else.

The capitol represents everyone.

I agree...everything is political. Very few were arrested in the riots and looting compared to the number who committed crimes. As far as the situation at the Capitol goes, I hope EVERYONE who committed anything more than a minimal violation of the law (say trespassing without any violence or invasion of private offices or the chambers of Congress) is prosecuted. That includes the guy inciting it with the bullhorn.

If the current laws don't have enough teeth, strengthen them.

I feel the same about the criminal elements that helped divide the country during the "mostly peaceful protests"--not cutting out the criminals and prosecuting them made people upset and made them wonder about the importance of the objective of the protests to the people involved and the government agencies meant to protect people and property.

The Capital invasion did the same thing--it took the focus away from the protest and made it on the invasion.

No, they aren't the same. They are both places where criminal activity destroyed the message.