The Biden Presidency 2021

January 24th, 2021 at 6:18:18 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote:
Biden's agenda is quite popular, per new ABC News-Ipsos poll. 81% percent support mask-wearing requirement on federal property, 77% support government-wide focus on racial equity, 70% percent support rejoining WHO, 65% support rejoining Paris agreement.

https://www.ipsos.com/sites/default/files/ct/news/documents/2021-01/topline-abc-news-biden-unity-012421.pdf

Thoughts and prayers to anyone silly enough to be basing his popularity off of YouTube comments.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 24th, 2021 at 7:56:02 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Rand Paul states Biden must hate Black teenagers! He says 4 million jobs to be lost at low end of pay scale if minimum wage raised to $15. And that will disproportionally hurt Black youth. Biden's motives are of course not that, but like so many other Democrat policies, the results tend not to be what they want. So maybe the 4 million number is off, but can anyone actually disagree with the concept?

Plus this will start an inflationary cycle. It's all bad....
January 24th, 2021 at 10:30:08 AM permalink
Altstates93
Threads: 0
Quote: SOOPOO
Rand Paul states Biden must hate Black teenagers! He says 4 million jobs to be lost at low end of pay scale if minimum wage raised to $15. And that will disproportionally hurt Black youth. Biden's motives are of course not that, but like so many other Democrat policies, the results tend not to be what they want. So maybe the 4 million number is off, but can anyone actually disagree with the concept?

Plus this will start an inflationary cycle. It's all bad....

Maybe data exists that proves otherwise, but raising the minimum wage to $15 per hour would seem like too much of a shock to the system. A $15 minimum wage could create oddball situations: a part-time cashier in a grocery store would suddenly earn nearly as much as his/her full-time supervisor.

Raising it to $9-$10 seems more reasonable, and I think would encounter less resistance from the other side.
January 24th, 2021 at 10:40:13 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
While the Democrats are in power I’d rather see a push to get minimum wage indexed to inflation.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 24th, 2021 at 11:13:10 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: rxwine
While the Democrats are in power I’d rather see a push to get minimum wage indexed to inflation.

Of course you would since it would create a never ending inflation spiral. Minimum wage up, inflation up, minimum wage indexed up, inflation up .....
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
January 24th, 2021 at 11:17:20 AM permalink
ams288
Quote: rxwine

I’d rather see the Dems do whatever pisses off the righties most.

The $15 minimum wage is very popular. Red state Florida just passed it with a huge majority. So whenever I see someone whine about that it looks like they are just desperate for something to bitch about.
January 24th, 2021 at 11:23:46 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Altstates93
Maybe data exists that proves otherwise, but raising the minimum wage to $15 per hour would seem like too much of a shock to the system. A $15 minimum wage could create oddball situations: a part-time cashier in a grocery store would suddenly earn nearly as much as his/her full-time supervisor.

Raising it to $9-$10 seems more reasonable, and I think would encounter less resistance from the other side.

But that would cause AOC to have a conniption!

You partially miss the point though.... The $15 an hour supervisor will now command $20 an hour. The $30 an hour computer programmer will now want $40. A whopper will now be $5 instead of $4. Your babysitter will be $50 a night instead of $40. It does not just affect the bottom, it affects the middle as well. And will contribute to inflation of course.

I do agree that if Biden just said something like immediately $10 an hour, then Every Jan 1 it goes up $0.50 an hour until it hits $15, he would likely get enough bipartisan support to squash those like me who feel the market should decide what the minimum wage is, not the government.
January 24th, 2021 at 11:23:58 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Altstates93

I agree
I lean left but never supported 15
9 to 10 is reasonable but not perfect
Maybe an adjusted min wage according to area of the country.
I worked for American Express and a lot of positions had a pay scale depending on where you lived. Companies have to do that. It's about acquiring talent and keeping it in say NYC where the cost of living is high and top talent is expensive as opposed to down south where the cost of living is cheaper and you can pay less but have that employees living at the same standard of living as the NYC employees
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 24th, 2021 at 11:31:49 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: terapined
I agree
I lean left but never supported 15
9 to 10 is reasonable but not perfect
Maybe an adjusted min wage according to area of the country.
I worked for American Express and a lot of positions had a pay scale depending on where you lived. Companies have to do that. It's about acquiring talent and keeping it in say NYC where the cost of living is high and top talent is expensive as opposed to down south where the cost of living is cheaper and you can pay less but have that employees living at the same standard of living as the NYC employees

I mean there already is, that is what State and local (city and county) minimum wages do.

The Federal minimum wage is just supposed to be the baseline (though some states do have minimum wages lower than federal in which case the federal takes effect, and some states have none at all...)
January 24th, 2021 at 4:48:13 PM permalink
ams288
Quote:
@ArletteSaenz and I are told President Joe Biden's administration will lift the ban on trans military service as early as tomorrow, via Executive Order.

It feels so nice to have the good guys running things again!

MAGA!