5 votes (71.42%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (14.28%)

7 members have voted

January 2nd, 2022 at 5:10:13 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: kenarman
You are having trouble with your reading comprehension again TP. This is not an independent decision by Twitter it is pressure by .gov. They have been told to regulate their content or they will be regulated.

.gov??????
Who is making threats to Twitter?
What pressure?
MTG is part of the government. An elected house rep.
Twitter nuked MTG despite being part of the government
Looks like private property stood up to the government and nuked an elected official because she broke Twitters (A private company) rules.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 2nd, 2022 at 5:12:52 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
You are having trouble with your reading comprehension again TP. This is not an independent decision by Twitter it is pressure by .gov. They have been told to regulate their content or they will be regulated.

You mean censorship where there are still thousands of tweets everyday still criticizing Biden, Harris and the Democrats? Doesn't sound like you should have much to complain about.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 2nd, 2022 at 5:43:41 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: rxwine
You mean censorship where there are still thousands of tweets everyday still criticizing Biden, Harris and the Democrats? Doesn't sound like you should have much to complain about.

You weren't paying attention this spring? Try looking up the 'Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on Privacy, Technology, and the Law'.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
January 2nd, 2022 at 8:05:42 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
You weren't paying attention this spring? Try looking up the 'Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on Privacy, Technology, and the Law'.

There's a fairly long history of our government interfering with large companies in the US for various reasons but usually because of monopolistic power. Technology may have changed but there is nothing new going on.

They broke up the telephone company (ma bell) They passed laws on radio station ownership. They messed with Microsoft's monopoly of platform. Politicians on both sides of the aisle have complained about Facebook.

Yup, the government puts pressure on some large businesses about the way they do business. They've taken on the alcohol and cigarette companies for they way they market to youngsters. They limited the way these companies can communicate, and what they can say. I would say they're after Greene for a similar reason to cig and alcohol. She's damaging the public heath message and is a danger, so they put pressure on these companies. You can warn that a place may burn down, but not yell fire in the building when there isn't one.

You can have officials of the government spouting disagreement with current policy of the political party in charge but there is real potential harm if it is perceived there are more than one authority at a time by the population. Or to be specific more than is specified.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 2nd, 2022 at 8:45:18 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: rxwine
There's a fairly long history of our government interfering with large companies in the US for various reasons but usually because of monopolistic power. Technology may have changed but there is nothing new going on.

They broke up the telephone company (ma bell) They passed laws on radio station ownership. They messed with Microsoft's monopoly of platform. Politicians on both sides of the aisle have complained about Facebook.

Yup, the government puts pressure on some large businesses about the way they do business. They've taken on the alcohol and cigarette companies for they way they market to youngsters. They limited the way these companies can communicate, and what they can say. I would say they're after Greene for a similar reason to cig and alcohol. She's damaging the public heath message and is a danger, so they put pressure on these companies. You can warn that a place may burn down, but not yell fire in the building when there isn't one.

You can have officials of the government spouting disagreement with current policy of the political party in charge but there is real potential harm if it is perceived there are more than one authority at a time by the population. Or to be specific more than is specified.

Glad to see you are agreeing with me that it is government censorship, although we probably don't agree on whether it is justified or not. You are responding to my answer to TP after he responded to my me further up this thread.

Quote Terapined

".gov??????
What pressure?"
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
January 3rd, 2022 at 3:31:30 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler
I don't use Twitter, but I saw a story where she equated COVID to cancer, so that is ban worthy in my view, but that was a while ago.

https://www.businessinsider.com/marjorie-taylor-greene-criticizes-covid-rules-no-schools-closed-cancer-2021-12

"Every single year more than 600,000 people in the US die from cancer. The country has never once shut down. Not a single school has closed. And every year, over 600,000 people, of all ages and all races will continue to die from cancer," Greene wrote on Twitter on Saturday.

—Marjorie Taylor Greene 🇺🇸 (@mtgreenee) December 4, 2021

But, the sad thing is, pretty much everyone on the right is obsessed with her, and this will just make her more popular. The fact that she was elected (actually made it to a runoff and then won the runoff), is just beyond sad.

The only problem I see with her statement is you cannot handle the truth. As to obsession you seem pretty obsessed with her.
The President is a fink.
January 3rd, 2022 at 4:11:37 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman
The only problem I see with her statement is you cannot handle the truth. As to obsession you seem pretty obsessed with her.

So we should not let kids with cancer in school because they may spread it?
How is there anything even resembling truth in that phrase. The fact that you think this is a fair equivalency is just absurd.
Cancer is not a contagious disease.

And, yes I am obsessed with her in an inverse way, because she is a disgrace to GA, and needs to be voted out. She is probably one of the most dangerous reps, not because of her views, normally such people would be laughed out of any room, but because conservatives blindly agree with whatever she says as evidenced here. The fact that most Republicans on this board defend her (and in some cases seem to like her), shows how far we have fallen (and this board actually has relatively moderate conservatives -for the most part- ).
January 3rd, 2022 at 4:28:02 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler
So we should not let kids with cancer in school because they may spread it?
How is there anything even resembling truth in that phrase. The fact that you think this is a fair equivalency is just absurd.
Cancer is not a contagious disease.

Contagion has nothing to do with it. The point is people are saying "600000 have died that is so many" and she dared say "compared to what?

Quote:
And, yes I am obsessed with her in an inverse way, because she is a disgrace to GA, and needs to be voted out. She is probably one of the most dangerous reps, not because of her views, normally such people would be laughed out of any room, but because conservatives blindly agree with whatever she says as evidenced here. The fact that most Republicans on this board defend her (and in some cases seem to like her), shows how far we have fallen (and this board actually has relatively moderate conservatives -for the most part- ).

Why wouldn't I like her? Southern women are generally better women. She has good views. And she looks good for a woman her age. We need more like her!
The President is a fink.
January 3rd, 2022 at 4:48:00 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Glad to see you are agreeing with me that it is government censorship, although we probably don't agree on whether it is justified or not. You are responding to my answer to TP after he responded to my me further up this thread.

Quote Terapined

".gov??????
What pressure?"

Meaningless
Whats the committee going to do
Use harsh language lol
They don't have the votes to strip private companies of their rights.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 3rd, 2022 at 2:44:13 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
The problem with censorship as always is who is doing it. Social media is censoring because they are being forced by the government. The only items being censored are those that are deemed unacceptable by you lefties. All the lefty lies are fine on social media. No different then the censorship in China or Russia .gov makes the decision.

Does it escape your attention that, to a small extent, Marjorie Taylor Greene is the Government?
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman