Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
Will there be more nerds there than at an
undertaker or an actuary convention? Or
collectors of knicker knobs or Victorian
door hardware? My guess is yes. Nerds
are collectors.

Nerd: a single-minded expert in a particular technical field.

That's a tough one. I was tempted to go with actuarial convention at first but actuaries are more social than you might think.

License plate collectors are an interesting group. 99.9% male. Many will know about license plates to degrees that are almost scary. Like which years did Pennsylvania issue antique auto plates with a purple base? (I hope AZD reads this)

It can be very difficult getting them to talk about anything but license plates. Since you asked, I'll have to go with the tag collectors.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
June 5th, 2017 at 9:08:05 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Wizard

License plate collectors are an interesting group. 99.9% male.

That's probably higher than model train enthusiasts. My dentist once told me about going to a convention for trains. Next time I saw him he had a new young attractive dental assistant I started to talk about it, and he nearly vocally shushed me. I think he didn't want her to know he had such a nerdy hobby I guess.

Pretty funny -- well at least to me. BTW, he was a former AF fighter pilot and I think he was working that cool angle of himself.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 5th, 2017 at 10:45:16 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: rxwine
... I think he didn't want her to know he had such a nerdy hobby I guess...
That's why it's called "HO" gauge?
June 6th, 2017 at 1:27:59 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
License plate collectors are an interesting group. 99.9% male. Many will know about license plates to degrees that are almost scary.

All collectors are that way. 99% men and
experts in the field. Go to a pocket watch
convention, or radios, or antique cameras.
Those guys will knock your socks off
with what they know about their hobby.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 6th, 2017 at 2:55:39 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

License plate collectors are an interesting group. 99.9% male. Many will know about license plates to degrees that are almost scary. Like which years did Pennsylvania issue antique auto plates with a purple base? (I hope AZD reads this)

Appers to be 1954.

Ended about 2005. I still prefer the purple plates for the antiques. FWIW few use the "classic car" plates, instead waiting for it to be antique. They also had a "Street Rod" plate, might still have it but have not seen one in years. Rumor was the Street Rod plate gave more freedom to drive. Supposedly, Antique Plates were for daylight only and limited miles.
The President is a fink.
June 14th, 2017 at 4:44:13 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Here is another plate that is going for way more than what I would have thought: CARRERA PANAMERICANA V MÉXICO LICENSE PLATE 1954 ROAD RACE CAR RACER VERY RARE. Seven days left and it is already at $1,529. By far, the most I've ever seen a license plate from Mexico go for. If I had seen this in an antique store, I probably wouldn't have been more than $50 for it.

What little I can say is that there is some race along the Baja peninsula, which I assume this is for. Some bars in Mexico on the route are full of pictures and souvenirs relating to it, so I imagine to some it is a huge deal.
June 14th, 2017 at 4:52:51 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Here is another plate that is going for way more than what I would have thought: CARRERA PANAMERICANA V MÉXICO LICENSE PLATE 1954 ROAD RACE CAR RACER VERY RARE. Seven days left and it is already at $1,529. By far, the most I've ever seen a license plate from Mexico go for. If I had seen this in an antique store, I probably wouldn't have been more than $50 for it.

What little I can say is that there is some race along the Baja peninsula, which I assume this is for. Some bars in Mexico on the route are full of pictures and souvenirs relating to it, so I imagine to some it is a huge deal.

Wikipedia

Rare plate but I think one would have to be a race fan as well as a plate fan to pay top dollar. I do not find it attractive nor am I a race fan so I would not pick it up. Your mileage may vary.
The President is a fink.
August 4th, 2017 at 4:48:02 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Remember when FrG went to the Vatican and I begged him to get me a license plate? They are the hardest country in the world to get a tag from and very very rarely change hands. However, for the first time I can recall, one is up for auction on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vatican-City-license-plate-/302402948513?hash=item46689ecda1:g:F0UAAOSwLIhZgjyd.

The price is already beyond what I would pay for a cold plate with no story attached. However, it will be interesting to see how high it goes.
August 4th, 2017 at 5:27:56 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Remember when FrG went to the Vatican and I begged him to get me a license plate? They are the hardest country in the world to get a tag from and very very rarely change hands. However, for the first time I can recall, one is up for auction on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vatican-City-license-plate-/302402948513?hash=item46689ecda1:g:F0UAAOSwLIhZgjyd.

The price is already beyond what I would pay for a cold plate with no story attached. However, it will be interesting to see how high it goes.

Have they really issued 3900+ plates in VC?

Wonder if they do vanity plates? 1 POPE MOBL???
The President is a fink.
August 4th, 2017 at 7:09:01 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: AZDuffman
Have they really issued 3900+ plates in VC?

Wonder if they do vanity plates? 1 POPE MOBL???

Probably not. Maybe the number also conveys a type of vehicle or something about the rank of the owner.

I'm pretty sure the Pope's plate is VC 1.