Is Portland over?

Page 4 of 45<1234567>Last »
July 10th, 2021 at 4:19:26 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: missedhervee
Yes, please, do NOT move to Portland.

Nothing to see here.

Yes there is. Rain. It typically rains 155 days a year in Portland. That's almost every other day. Yuck.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 10th, 2021 at 4:29:32 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Yes, please, do NOT move to Portland.

Nothing to see here.

Stay where you are, and if you can't stand it where you live then just stay drunk and high, it's the American Way of tolerating things.

I suspect that it is the influx of outsiders drawn to Portland's "cool factor" that are causing the problems, not the long time residents.

Many arrive here with little or nothing, fail epically, and then rage against the machine.

Idiots.

I'm kind of surprised at your huge homeless problem coming from FL. Many homeless move to FL due to the weather. What do your homeless do in the winter?
Is this partially due to that old cult that moved homeless to Oregon for the votes.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 10th, 2021 at 5:04:44 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: terapined

Is this partially due to that old cult that moved homeless to Oregon for the votes.

It has nothing to do with the weather. Portland has been well known for decades for tolerating almost any kind of behavior. There's a saying that dates back to the 1920s, all the nuts roll West. That's because the West Coast his always tolerated weirdos and strange behavior. I witnessed it for 7 years and you get to a point where you almost start to think it's normal behavior. That's when I got out. Now Oregon has legalized every kind of drug there is. Wait till the fallout from that starts to hit them. When drug addicts from all over the country move permanently to Oregon.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 10th, 2021 at 5:17:16 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Surprise surprise, but I agree.

The liberal nature of Portlanders was a positive thing until the homeless problem started getting worse and the spineless politicians refused to effectively deal with the problem.

Even in the suburbs where we live there are homeless bums all over.

My son chased off a bum sleeping against the fence in his back yard: should have sicced his doberman on him.
July 10th, 2021 at 5:31:33 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Vegas still have this law.

Quote:
Las Vegas officials passed a law on Wednesday the first in the US that will make it illegal for homeless people to sleep on streets when beds are available at established shelters.

That's interesting as it's not just making it illegal to be camping on the streets but making it dependent on beds available in a shelter. 'Cause it seems like courts are more likely to overturn such laws giving no option at all.

Quote:
the 8th Amendment
A city ordinance “violates the 8th Amendment insofar as it imposes criminal sanctions against homeless individuals for sleeping outdoors on public property, when no alternative shelter is available to them,” said the ruling by the 9th Circuit, which has jurisdiction over California and eight other Western states.Dec 16, 2019
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 10th, 2021 at 8:04:22 PM permalink
Evenbob
The liberal nature of Portlanders was a positive thing until the homeless problem started getting worse and the spineless politicians refused to effectively deal with the problem.

I used to hear them talking about it in the bar, discussing where they would go next. They knew every town from Washington all the way to Southern California that would put up with them. put up with their lifestyle. They knew where all the homeless shelters were, where all the soup kitchens were and that's how they lived. And that was 40 years ago. I can't imagine what it's like now. Every society for hundreds of years is had these people, the bottom feeders, the bums. People who do not want to work and want to live by their wits. Begging, stealing, whatever it takes. Now they have all these liberal cities making it so much easier for them that they turned it into a cottage industry.
July 10th, 2021 at 8:45:11 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
True 'dat.

If I didn't like it so much here otherwise, and had I not "put down roots," so to speak, I'd probably move to the lakes region of New Hampshire and reunite with my family.

We were raised in NJ but have a cabin on a lake in NH; my siblings and parents liked it there so much they moved there, but not me.

At least, not yet.
July 10th, 2021 at 9:07:27 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I spent time in Portland in 2015 and 2017. I found the downtown area to have a San Francisco kind of level of homeless people and and trash. The downtown area doesn't have a great deal to offer. You just don't see many restaurants and stores. I guess people go there to their jobs and then leave to wherever they live. I have no statistics, but I get the feeling not many people live downtown, which I think it important for a city to have some character.

I won't get into what I would do about it, because I doubt anybody would care. As a practical bit of advice, I wouldn't go out of my way to go to Portland. It's a beautiful part of the country, but Portland itself isn't worth spending much time or money on.

Trivia time! What does the X in the airport code for Portland, PDX, stand for?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 10th, 2021 at 9:41:15 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Wizard
I spent time in Portland in 2015 and 2017. I found the downtown area to have a San Francisco kind of level of homeless people and and trash. The downtown area doesn't have a great deal to offer. You just don't see many restaurants and stores. I guess people go there to their jobs and then leave to wherever they live. I have no statistics, but I get the feeling not many people live downtown, which I think it important for a city to have some character.

I won't get into what I would do about it, because I doubt anybody would care. As a practical bit of advice, I wouldn't go out of my way to go to Portland. It's a beautiful part of the country, but Portland itself isn't worth spending much time or money on.

Trivia time! What does the X in the airport code for Portland, PDX, stand for?

I would guess the same as LAX and JAX (and some others ending in X that I can't recall offhand), some kind of airport code? I have no idea, I just assumed they were assigned by the FAA and it probably designates some kind of airport? "Exchange" I would guess (no clue what it would mean)?
July 10th, 2021 at 9:52:19 PM permalink
Evenbob

At least, not yet.

The winters would have you bawling like a newborn baby. Forget it. Winters in the Northwest are dreary and cold but at least there's no snow.
Page 4 of 45<1234567>Last »