Biden's Biggest Blunder

September 11th, 2021 at 7:37:22 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
https://apnews.com/article/afghanistan-journalists-united-nations-kabul-taliban-2ca9873dda7c537bdb6c7dc55e4feada

The Taliban is very quickly going back to their totalitarian ways.

I think one solution is for UN Peace Keepers to enter the country. This would allow some stability while being less controversial than the U.S. returning, though it would only be a short-term solution (the UN can not influence politics or change governments, they can essentially only intervene in blatant human rights abuses that they witness). If the Taliban would allow UN forces in consensually is an unknown (I would bet no).

https://peacekeeping.un.org/en/military
September 11th, 2021 at 9:26:32 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
I wouldn't let them in were I the Taliban.

Hell, they've been fighting off outsiders for what must seem like forever; give them a chance to run their own damned country.

The USA is now paying the price for occupying and attempting to effect a regime change in Afghanistan.
September 11th, 2021 at 9:44:24 AM permalink
Gandler
Quote: missedhervee
I wouldn't let them in were I the Taliban.

Hell, they've been fighting off outsiders for what must seem like forever; give them a chance to run their own damned country.

The USA is now paying the price for occupying and attempting to effect a regime change in Afghanistan.

They had a chance to run their own country. They were the government in the 90s.

And they would still be the government if it were not for 9/11, once you assist a terror group that attacks America you lose the right to run your own country.

They could have just kept to themselves and not engaged in foreign attacks and their obscene civil rights abuses would probably be overlooked (as sadly is the case in much of the world), but now they do not have that luxury. They will forever be on everyone's radar as they are an open enemy to America.

Their civil rights abuses just make them even worse and easier to hate.
September 11th, 2021 at 11:04:32 AM permalink
JCW09
Threads: 12
So much for "over the horizon" ability to deter terrorism.
Turns out while we were still on the ground, The House Plant in Chief OK'd a drone strike of 10 civilians, Oooppppps!
I am sure the outcomes will be better now that we have withdrawn from Afghanistan because we're so good "over the horizon"
We have a F'ing moron in the WH and a Joint Chief who is more concerned about Wokeness in the military than drone strike targets.
The Left thought the US was being laughed at on the world stage under The Orange Man, what are the allies doing now?
At least with Trump our allies knew we could be counted on to bring Hell & Fury
Now we whimper as we let the door hit us in the ass on the way to retreat, and kill a few innocents for good measure.
20 Years of zero terrorist strikes on US soil as of today? I am thinking we won't be saying 25 years of no terrorism on US soil in 2026.
Def. of Liar - "A Person Who Tells Lies" / "I lied. Deal with it" - ams288
September 11th, 2021 at 11:33:40 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: JCW09
So much for "over the horizon" ability to deter terrorism.
Turns out while we were still on the ground, The House Plant in Chief OK'd a drone strike of 10 civilians, Oooppppps!
I am sure the outcomes will be better now that we have withdrawn from Afghanistan because we're so good "over the horizon"
We have a F'ing moron in the WH and a Joint Chief who is more concerned about Wokeness in the military than drone strike targets.
The Left thought the US was being laughed at on the world stage under The Orange Man, what are the allies doing now?
At least with Trump our allies knew we could be counted on to bring Hell & Fury
Now we whimper as we let the door hit us in the ass on the way to retreat, and kill a few innocents for good measure.
20 Years of zero terrorist strikes on US soil as of today? I am thinking we won't be saying 25 years of no terrorism on US soil in 2026.

Yawn
Life is good
Biden is President and Trump isn't
You don't know how thrilled we are about that on the left and center
By the way Trump was the wimp
Agreed with Putin over our people
A traitor in Putins pocket
Now we have a President that has the balls to get us out of Afghanistan
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 11th, 2021 at 11:34:49 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: Gandler
They could have just kept to themselves and not engaged in foreign attacks and their obscene civil rights abuses would probably be overlooked (as sadly is the case in much of the world), but now they do not have that luxury. .

It was not any Afghani gov't program to attack the USA; hopefully you are just confused and not engaging in silly historical revisionism.

No, it was the chaotic political and social climate of Afghanistan that allowed the terrorists to succor there.

It's basically a wild, inhospitable place ruled by warlords of tribes; they've little if any history of effective central government; be interesting to see if the Taliban can set up one.

If they do: hats off to them.
September 11th, 2021 at 11:58:42 AM permalink
Gandler
Quote: missedhervee
It was not any Afghani gov't program to attack the USA; hopefully you are just confused and not engaging in silly historical revisionism.

No, it was the chaotic political and social climate of Afghanistan that allowed the terrorists to succor there.

It's basically a wild, inhospitable place ruled by warlords of tribes; they've little if any history of effective central government; be interesting to see if the Taliban can set up one.

If they do: hats off to them.

They did have a Taliban central government from the 90s- early 2000s.

I stated pretty clearly that the Taliban (government at the time) assisted Al Qaeda (you just edited that part out of the quote). So their government did provide assistance to those that attacked us.

https://www.dni.gov/nctc/groups/afghan_taliban.html

"In the years leading up to the 11 September 2001 attacks in the United States, the Taliban provided a safe haven for al-Qa‘ida. This gave al-Qa‘ida a base in which it could freely recruit, train, and deploy terrorists to other countries. The Taliban held sway in Afghanistan until October 2001, when they were routed from power by the US-led campaign against al-Qa‘ida. "
September 11th, 2021 at 12:03:59 PM permalink
JCW09
Threads: 12
Quote: terapined
Yawn
Life is good
Biden is President and Trump isn't
You don't know how thrilled we are about that on the left and center

That 40% Approval Rating is a bit more informative than your drug induced yawns.
Remember, it's the Saturday box today.
Def. of Liar - "A Person Who Tells Lies" / "I lied. Deal with it" - ams288
September 11th, 2021 at 12:12:19 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
That 40% Approval Rating is a bit more informative than your drug induced yawns.

The lefties will put up with any misery as the alternative is Jones will come back.
The President is a fink.
September 11th, 2021 at 12:41:15 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29

Wow.

The righties are completely OBSESSED with approval ratings after pretending they didn’t exist for four years of Donny’s abysmally low numbers.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman