Firearms w.o. Face

Page 9 of 9« First<6789
November 4th, 2021 at 10:20:54 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: kenarman
A post to laugh at instead of get mad at. Good job RX.

That's probably my quota for the year!
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 5th, 2021 at 3:54:13 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I wonder who first started to make guns with trigger guards?* This one is from the year 1199 ... funny looking trigger must have been safer if it was small, since it had no guard

*in the original meaning of "trigger guard", that can also mean the lock and key thing they make today
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
November 5th, 2021 at 7:24:37 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: rxwine
That's probably my quota for the year!

Great I will expect another in 2 months.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
November 5th, 2021 at 12:49:57 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: odiousgambit
This one is from the year 1199 ...

That year can't be right.
November 5th, 2021 at 1:22:32 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: missedhervee
That year can't be right.
[re 1199 firearm]

yeah, a mistake somewhere, I'm thinking. Probably mine, misread something. Looks like a flintlock and 1199 is way too early for that

wikipedia indicates first Euro firearms were late 14th century, not indicating ignition system, but it would not be flintlock for the first ones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_firearm#Early_modern_age
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
November 5th, 2021 at 5:21:08 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: odiousgambit
I wonder who first started to make guns with trigger guards?* This one is from the year 1199 ... funny looking trigger must have been safer if it was small, since it had no guard

*in the original meaning of "trigger guard", that can also mean the lock and key thing they make today

I used to sell these types of guns at antique shows this one looks like an Arab Flintlock from the 16th or 17th century. They love to put it a lot of ornamentation on a stock. They were not really very well made and don't command a lot of money. Compared to one from the American Revolutionary War. Americans made rifles to hunt with. Arabs made rifles to shoot people with in close quarters so they weren't very accurate. There's not much hunting to do in the desert.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 5th, 2021 at 5:28:24 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
I had a case one time involving an extensive collection of antique firearms.

It was an ede-opener to learn their value.
November 5th, 2021 at 5:43:10 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: missedhervee
I had a case on time involving an extensive collection of antique firearms.

It was an ede-opener to learn their value.

British and American Firearms are usually the most collectible and bring the most money. Belgium France and Germany made some nice pieces also. Anything made in the Middle East seems to be not very well-made and you certainly can't fire it today. If it was well maintained a Revolutionary War Flintlock can still be fired. The only antique I have right now is a 1958 High Standard 22 caliber military pistol. This gun is actually worth more than any of my newer handguns. They can bring as much as $1,000. It was used in the Olympics not that long ago, that's how accurate it is. You can pull the trigger as fast as you can and it never jams. I bought this gun almost 40 years ago from one of my cab drivers who was desperate for money. I paid $25.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 9th, 2021 at 2:43:35 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
National Rifle Association leadership reportedly called its members "hillbillies" and "fruitcakes" in the wake of the 1999 Columbine High School massacre as officials in the gun-rights group strategized on how to deal with the shooting crisis.

The private conversations within the NRA in the aftermath of the Colorado shooting that left 13 dead were secretly recorded by a participant, according to NPR, which obtained 2.5 hours of recordings and published parts of them on Tuesday.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/nra-leaders-called-its-members-hillbillies-and-fruitcakes-in-secretly-recorded-audio-following-columbine-massacre/ar-AAQv87r?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
Page 9 of 9« First<6789