Debt Ceiling Brinkmanship

Page 14 of 14« First<11121314
October 7th, 2021 at 5:40:53 AM permalink
OnceDear
Administrator
Member since: Nov 21, 2017
Threads: 9
Posts: 1280
Quote: WaPo
The world is questioning Washington’s competence, fearing prospect of U.S. default

Well this tiny part of the world is.
October 7th, 2021 at 6:52:40 PM permalink
ams288
Member since: Apr 21, 2016
Threads: 20
Posts: 9129
I guess the Dems called McConnell’s bluff?

I originally thought Mitch was playing 3D chess, but based on how hard it was for him to scrounge up the 10 votes needed for cloture and all the whining from the GOP Senators tonight, it seems like they folded big time.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
October 8th, 2021 at 1:04:46 AM permalink
OnceDear
Administrator
Member since: Nov 21, 2017
Threads: 9
Posts: 1280
Quote: ams288
I guess the Dems called McConnell’s bluff?

I originally thought Mitch was playing 3D chess, but based on how hard it was for him to scrounge up the 10 votes needed for cloture and all the whining from the GOP Senators tonight, it seems like they folded big time.

My reading of the situation is that the GOP had the DEMs hostage but realised that they'd do damage to themselves (financially as well as politically) if the ransom wasn't paid. And it wasn't going to be paid: A stalemate. So the GOP gave an extension to the deadline. Quite a short extension.

Yes. It looks like a GOP gave some ground, but far away from folding big-time.
Cue, Dems continuing to argue amongst themselves until the new deadline expires.
October 8th, 2021 at 2:42:32 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 135
Posts: 16253
Quote: OnceDear
My reading of the situation is that the GOP had the DEMs hostage but realised that they'd do damage to themselves (financially as well as politically) if the ransom wasn't paid. And it wasn't going to be paid: A stalemate. So the GOP gave an extension to the deadline. Quite a short extension.

Yes. It looks like a GOP gave some ground, but far away from folding big-time.
Cue, Dems continuing to argue amongst themselves until the new deadline expires.


The GOP played it well. Short extension means Democrats looking foolish for another couple months. Keep their disaster in the news.
The President is a fink.
October 9th, 2021 at 2:32:06 AM permalink
OnceDear
Administrator
Member since: Nov 21, 2017
Threads: 9
Posts: 1280
Wapo:-
"Senate passes bill to raise debt ceiling into early December"

Well, it looks like TSWillHTF in a few months, not in October.
That means my wager with Wizard is pretty much lost. I expect to officially concede on 01 Nov

So, Wizard, Will PayPal suffice? Or a souvenir £10 note.

Meanwhile, back at WaPo
"McConnell vows Republicans will not help raise debt ceiling in December"
October 9th, 2021 at 3:55:15 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 135
Posts: 16253
Quote: OnceDear
Wapo:-
"Senate passes bill to raise debt ceiling into early December"

Well, it looks like TSWillHTF in a few months, not in October.
That means my wager with Wizard is pretty much lost. I expect to officially concede on 01 Nov

So, Wizard, Will PayPal suffice? Or a souvenir £10 note.

Meanwhile, back at WaPo
"McConnell vows Republicans will not help raise debt ceiling in December"


Turn off the news and enjoy life for a bit.
The President is a fink.
October 12th, 2021 at 2:36:06 PM permalink
OnceDear
Administrator
Member since: Nov 21, 2017
Threads: 9
Posts: 1280
Quote: AZDuffman
Turn off the news and enjoy life for a bit.
But it has such tragi-comedic value.

A WaPo opinion piece headline today "Democrats negotiate over whether to shoot themselves in the foot"

And that's before I even look at Fox
"Smoked garlic pig shots for the ultimate game day appetizer"

I had visions of the shots being some sort of vaccine injection. But no they are shots as in shot glasses. Just as weird.

You can't make this stuff up.
Page 14 of 14« First<11121314