The Amy Schneider thread

Page 1 of 131234>Last »
January 10th, 2022 at 11:28:50 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Member since: Oct 23, 2012
Threads: 231
Posts: 5976
There is a lot of hullabaloo about Amy Schneider breakings lots of Jeopardy records for female players. Here is one example of an article on the topic: Amy Schneider is the first woman to win $1 million on ‘Jeopardy!’. For those who don't know, Amy is transgendered.

Mrs. Wizard has very strong feelings about this to the point she refuses to watch Jeopardy, which she normally does, until Amy loses. She says it's very insulting to women that a man needs to come along to help them break records. She adds she would be proud to see a woman shattering Jeopardy records, but doesn't want to be patronized in a man doing it. Please keep in mind these are her words, not mine. However, as liberal as I think I am on matters of gender, I think she has a legitimate point.

I know there are not many women on the forum, but I would be interested in hearing other opinions on the matter, especially from other women.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 10th, 2022 at 11:49:44 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 135
Posts: 16253
Mrs. Wizard is right. This is just a guy acting as a woman. Interesting to see it is not just athletics where this is happening but even on a game show. Now, men should not have the same physical advantage on a game show as in say swimming. Just interesting that the same thing is happening.

Feminists seem to defend these people, if they keep doing so eventually no women's records will be held by actual women.
The President is a fink.
January 10th, 2022 at 11:50:45 AM permalink
OnceDear
Administrator
Member since: Nov 21, 2017
Threads: 9
Posts: 1280
Quote: Wizard
There is a lot of hullabaloo about Amy Schneider breakings lots of Jeopardy records for female players. Here is one example of an article on the topic: Amy Schneider is the first woman to win $1 million on ‘Jeopardy!’. For those who don't know, Amy is transgendered.

Mrs. Wizard has very strong feelings about this to the point she refuses to watch Jeopardy, which she normally does, until Amy loses. She says it's very insulting to women that a man needs to come along to help them break records. She adds she would be proud to see a woman shattering Jeopardy records, but doesn't want to be patronized in a man doing it. Please keep in mind these are her words, not mine. However, as liberal as I think I am on matters of gender, I think she has a legitimate point.

I know there are not many women on the forum, but I would be interested in hearing other opinions on the matter, especially from other women.

Amy Schneider is a person, one with a skill at winning Jeopardy. This is not some weight lifting competition. Gender is 0% the issue. Pride in a member of the same gender winning, or disdain that she does not fit a gender profile is a sad reflection on those that reflect such deeply ingrained gender related views.
I could share misgiving if it were a weight lifting competition.

White / Black
Christian / Muslim
Male / Female
Young / Old
Conservative / Liberal
Rich / Poor
American / Asian.

Where does it end?

Who gives a 5h1t. Cheer for the skilled. Cheer for the tenacious underdog. Cheer for the ginger haired one. Whoever.

But to BOO (shun) anyone because of an unrelated prejudice? Nooooo.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-59372522

You wife has AZDuffman's endorsement. That counts for a lot. $:o)
January 10th, 2022 at 12:09:14 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Member since: Oct 23, 2012
Threads: 231
Posts: 5976
Quote: OnceDear
Gender is 0% the issue.


I can probably produce evidence upon request, but I don't think any follower of Jeopardy can deny with a straight face that the vast majority of the top players are men. Why is that, do you think? I'm not claiming men are smarter, but there is more to winning at Jeopardy than knowing the answers.

Personally, I don't think there is any need to break down Jeopardy champions by gender or any other category. Perhaps even Amy would agree. I've never seen her draw any attention to her gender.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 10th, 2022 at 12:18:09 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 135
Posts: 16253
Quote: Wizard
I can probably produce evidence upon request, but I don't think any follower of Jeopardy can deny with a straight face that the vast majority of the top players are men. Why is that, do you think? I'm not claiming men are smarter, but there is more to winning at Jeopardy than knowing the answers.


I chalk it up to the same reasons men do better on the SAT. Men are better at on the spot answers. Men are not as afraid of giving a wrong answer, figuring they will just get the next one right. Plus men just like trivia more than women.
The President is a fink.
January 10th, 2022 at 12:24:43 PM permalink
OnceDear
Administrator
Member since: Nov 21, 2017
Threads: 9
Posts: 1280
Quote: Wizard
I can probably produce evidence upon request, but I don't think any follower of Jeopardy can deny with a straight face that the vast majority of the top players are men. Why is that, do you think? I'm not claiming men are smarter, but there is more to winning at Jeopardy than knowing the answers.
[controversial]
It may be as simple as greater tendency of men to be the breadwinner, interacting mostly with adults while ladies get to spend time raising families and doing domestic chores...... Not saying everyone fits a stereotype, nor that skills or knowledge are not equal..... Just that there are often some differences in life experience between 'the average man' and 'the average woman'. I also SUSPECT that production teams deliberately, or subconsciously select or reject contestants to stress such stereotypes. Have we all seen the dipsy blonde on a quiz show being thrashed by a more balanced competitor? So often, I yell at TV quiz shows aghast at how dumb some of the competitors are, almost as though the qualifying factor is to give a stupid answer to the qualifying question in the early phone audition.
[/controversial]
January 10th, 2022 at 12:29:42 PM permalink
terapined
Member since: Aug 6, 2014
Threads: 54
Posts: 9157
Much ado about nothing
In a game where gender has no advantage
Its kind of dumb to have gender records
As meaningful as say highest scoring blond or highest scoring below 5 feet 8 inches in height or highest scoring wearing glasses
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 10th, 2022 at 12:30:43 PM permalink
OnceDear
Administrator
Member since: Nov 21, 2017
Threads: 9
Posts: 1280
Quote: AZDuffman
I chalk it up to the same reasons men do better on the SAT.
Do they? Yeah, probably? Read the abstract...
https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED562877.pdf

Men are better at on the spot answers. Men are not as afraid of giving a wrong answer, figuring they will just get the next one right. Plus men just like trivia more than women.
January 10th, 2022 at 12:44:24 PM permalink
DRich
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 38
Posts: 3267
Quote: Wizard

Personally, I don't think there is any need to break down Jeopardy champions by gender or any other category. Perhaps even Amy would agree. I've never seen her draw any attention to her gender.


That would be my position and is the reason I don't care if others try to classify it as I don't believe it matters. Who cares if a woman, man, or other holds a record, just appreciate the feat.
We are all going to die, why procrastinate?
January 10th, 2022 at 12:49:22 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 135
Posts: 16253
Quote: OnceDear
Do they? Yeah, probably? Read the abstract...
https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED562877.pdf


In my day they always did. Men did better on any multiple choice test and they always got done faster. Feminists complained for years that the test was "biased." They kept demanding tweaks to the test until things got evened out.
The President is a fink.
Page 1 of 131234>Last »