Ukraine conflict

September 21st, 2022 at 3:29:19 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-62981289

Well, it looks like Putin is gearing up to drag this out.

' Russian President Vladimir Putin has ordered a partial mobilisation to reinforce his troops in Ukraine after major combat setbacks this month. In an address to the nation, he said Russia was directly threatened with "disintegration" by the Western powers backing the Kyiv government. '

https://news.yahoo.com/putin-russia-partial-mobilization-ukraine-protests-195109346.html
September 22nd, 2022 at 1:51:55 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Following Putin's speech, smart Russians immediately took to the air and the roads. Buying one-way tickers to Istanbul, and driving into Georgia.

'Russians don't want to die for Putin' Thousands flee as Georgia border blocked cars'

'Ukraine war: Flights from Moscow sell out as Russians fear conscription'
September 22nd, 2022 at 2:30:33 AM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Quote: Tanko
Following Putin's speech, smart Russians immediately took to the air and the roads. Buying one-way tickers to Istanbul, and driving into Georgia.

'Russians don't want to die for Putin' Thousands flee as Georgia border blocked cars'

'Ukraine war: Flights from Moscow sell out as Russians fear conscription'
They also sold out because the state banned the sale of plane tickets to 18-60yo
September 22nd, 2022 at 3:08:02 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I liked when someone asked the Minister of Defense why they need 300,000 more troops if only 6000 Russians soldiers have died and half of all Ukraine soldiers are dead.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 22nd, 2022 at 3:29:38 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: DRich
I liked when someone asked the Minister of Defense why they need 300,000 more troops if only 6000 Russians soldiers have died and half of all Ukraine soldiers are dead.

Its a scary thought that is not getting much coverage, its going to be the largest Russian mobilization since WWII (and depending on how long this goes on for, maybe all of history).

And, how long until they get frustrated with their lack of progress and resort to other means? Its becoming clear that no amount of Russians will be able to take Ukraine alone.
September 22nd, 2022 at 3:44:53 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Will this be the straw that broke Putin's back?

We need to make it clear that if Putin is killed or overthrown and Russia drops its claim to Ukraine that things will normalize.

Gotta give them a reason to believe...
September 22nd, 2022 at 3:50:32 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: missedhervee
Will this be the straw that broke Putin's back?

We need to make it clear that if Putin is killed or overthrown and Russia drops its claim to Ukraine that things will normalize.

Gotta give them a reason to believe...

No, Putin will keep throwing money and military resources at this forever (or until death). It will become his 1984 war.

If this will lead to his defeat politically, who knows, but many Russians support him (and you can't really blame them because if you view the State run media there, it appears to be a liberation effort).
September 22nd, 2022 at 4:09:21 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Gandler
Its a scary thought that is not getting much coverage, its going to be the largest Russian mobilization since WWII (and depending on how long this goes on for, maybe all of history).

And, how long until they get frustrated with their lack of progress and resort to other means? Its becoming clear that no amount of Russians will be able to take Ukraine alone.

I think putin’s a guy who can’t handle being upstaged, even if it is of little consequence. Of course that makes him dangerous if he’s losing.

Quote:
“I introduced Vladimir Putin to Barney, our Scottish terrier, and [Putin] dissed him. A year later, Laura and I go visit Vladimir and his wife — this was before he decided to be with a gymnast 30 years younger — and he says, ‘I want you to meet my dog.’ I said, ‘Yeah, sure.’ And I’ll never forget, out runs a huge Russian hound," Bush said. "And Putin says ‘Bigger, stronger, and faster than Barney.’
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 23rd, 2022 at 7:22:04 PM permalink
Gandler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hZoQ4xebGw&t=1082s

This is a channel that I have long followed for their military history. "Kings and Generals" is a great YT channel. However, in a strange turn of events they are also one of the best overviews of the ongoing War, their latest video is no exception:

September 25th, 2022 at 8:05:46 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
https://www.rt.com/news/562875-nato-vs-yugoslavia-evil-war/

"Understanding the present-day events in Ukraine is impossible unless you study what happened in 1999 with Serbia. There is a Hegelian thread that runs directly from NATO’s ostensible “humanitarian intervention” to the Russian “special military operation,” linking Belgrade to Belgorod – and everything in-between.''
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW